iPhone - Bail me out!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Do you know someone that likes to come by your desk/cube/room/whatever and try to engage you in innane chitchat that you have no interest in? Do you find it a pain to have to tell this person, "Go away, I'm busy"? I do, and I came up with what I think is a pretty clever twist on the "bailout call".

Given the iPhone's ability to interpret the tel: protocol, I created a small index.html web page that has my office phone number in and uploaded it to a web server. I then typed in the URL for the page in Safari so it prompts me to dial the number, at which point I use the "Add to Home Page" Web Clip feature (1.1.4) and created an icon for the page. I even added a Life Preserver icon for it :)

Now, when this guy comes over and starts in on his mindless blathering, I pick up the iPhone and make it look like I'm checking something on it, tap the icon (he has no clue what I'm doing anyway) and seconds later, my desk phone rings. "Oh, sorry, I need to take this call, k thx bai" and off he goes :)

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
lol thats pretty clever. can you reverse that some how? could i set that up so it would call my iPhone, or would that only work on wifi since you cant receive calls when using edge.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
lol thats pretty clever. can you reverse that some how? could i set that up so it would call my iPhone, or would that only work on wifi since you cant receive calls when using edge.
It would only work on WiFi. When you're on Edge, it goes right to voicemail so the phone wouldn't ring.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
It would only work on WiFi. When you're on Edge, it goes right to voicemail so the phone wouldn't ring.
thought so. whats weird for me though is that when i am refreshing my sources in installer i still receive texts and phone calls, and i definatly have received a text while i was loading a web page. the little spinning wheel on the task bar was spinning which means i was using edge and i still got a text. how does that work

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
you know you can delete a post right? just go to edit and it lets you delete it