iPhone battery - how to make it last

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by davisesq212, Aug 1, 2012.

1. davisesq212

davisesq212 New Member

Any suggestions as to how to make the battery last the longest possible?

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

There are several things you can do.
    • If using an iOS update that has multitasking, you will need to ensure that you close completely out of the application(double-click home button, then close out of the app by press and hold on the icon and press the icon at the top left that appears).
    • Turn down the brightness on the device.
    • Set the auto-lock to 1 minute so that it is not sitting idle while on and using the battery.
    • Ensure that your emails(if any are setup on the device) are set to check manually instead of automatically checking for the new emails.
    • Turn Wi-Fi off if not being used.
    There is more than I listed located here.
    Please feel free to personal message me, or reply to this if any questions are present.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Hi davisesq212
    I usually uncheck all of the "Spotlight Search" option off but if you do that, then you won't be able to search for Contacts, Applications, Music, Podcasts, Videos, Audiobooks, Notes, Events, Mail, Reminders, Messages through your Spotlight Search on the first page of your homescreen. If you need that option on, then keep it on. There are other ways to conserve your battery.
    - Keeping your "Auto-Brightness" option on conserves your battery, which is in the "Settings" app: Settings--> Brightness & Wallpaper --> Auto-Brightness on/off.
    - Turning your "Location Services" off when it's not needed can substantially reduce your battery consumption down. Settings--> Location Services--> Location Services on/off
    - Turning your "Bluetooth" off when it's not needed can also substantially reduce your battery consumption down.
    Settings--> General--> Bluetooth--> Bluetooth on/off
    I also delete apps in the "App-Switcher", which Apple calls the "Multi-tasking bar", that have been forgotten or that I am not using or haven't been using or whatever the case is for not using any particular app(s). This considerably reduces battery consumption as well.
    To do this: double-tap the home button (the physical button on your idevice)--> press and hold a app icon until it starts to jiggle like it's dancing--> there will be "x" symbols on the top left of the icon--> tap the "x" icon to delete the app. Do this to all the apps you have in the app-switcher that you don't want active.
    That is mainly what I can think of to reduce your battery consumption on a stock idevice. If I can find more ideas I will come back to this topic. Good Luck!

4. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

That link you provided is awesome Girdler.

5. davisesq212

davisesq212 New Member

wow everyone..thanks so much.

6. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

Working for Apple for over a year(being a Senior Advisor- what they call level 2 -) will do that for you (y) haha.

7. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

You're welcome. Hope that answers the questions :)

8. davisesq212

davisesq212 New Member

Its a great start....I also bought a Boost Battery case and hoping that will also add some time.

9. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah the "Mophie Juice Packs" seem to work pretty well from what I've seen.

10. davisesq212

davisesq212 New Member

Boost is half the price :)

11. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Man I am envious of you Girdler lol You are a lucky and smart individual to be working for such a lucrative company.

12. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Are you sure about the multitasking? Isn't the app just suspended thus acting like its not even running?

13. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

You are very welcome and we here at iCafe are happy to help. In fact we enjoy everything about iCafe!

14. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

I agree with IloveiPhones. But if you jailbreak, you can install a tweak called "Backgrounder" which eliminates the suspended state thus keeping any app actively going the in the app-switcher.

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The apps do actually go into a suspended state, however certain apps do still utilise system resources.

16. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

The application is still technically "running". Even though it is suspended in the background it is still open and having to run in order to save your place in the application. For instance, if you are typing a tweet and you close the application to check a text message, when you go back to the Twitter application it will still be open with your tweet still typed out where you stopped. If the application fully closed, thus not affecting the battery, the first page(the twitter feed(whatever they call it)) would load each time.