iPhone battery life

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I am not complaining about the iPhone at all. The not being able to delete multiple email thing bothers me a little bit, but not enough to return the phone. My thing is that I charge my phone all night, and when I wake up in the morning it's full. But, I barely have enough battery power left by the time I get home from work. I have never had this problem before. Is my battery defective, or am I doing something wrong with my settings? My treo 700wx or anyother phone I've used before, allowed me to maybe get by without charging my phone at all for a day. I read all the specs, and the battery life was supposedly better than my treo. Anyone has a solution?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I am not complaining about the iPhone at all. The not being able to delete multiple email thing bothers me a little bit, but not enough to return the phone. My thing is that I charge my phone all night, and when I wake up in the morning it's full. But, I barely have enough battery power left by the time I get home from work. I have never had this problem before. Is my battery defective, or am I doing something wrong with my settings? My treo 700wx or anyother phone I've used before, allowed me to maybe get by without charging my phone at all for a day. I read all the specs, and the battery life was supposedly better than my treo. Anyone has a solution?
Is there a WiFi connection at your work, and are you leaving the WiFi adapter on, connected or not?
Also, how much do you play with it all day? I used to have a Blackjack, and doing moderate browsing all day, and having my 3G adapter search for network whenever it got spotty, would pretty much eat my entire battery, by the end of the day. If your wireless adapter is "ON" on the phone, then it will do the same, pretty much.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Are you using the phone during the day? If so how and for how long?

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I have noticed that if I charge the phone via usb on my macbook, it does not charge well as with the wall adapter.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Of course I was playing with it a lot on Monday because everyone wanted to see it. Today, I've hardly played with it, and I am at about 75%. I do have wifi on, and there is no wifi at the job, so that is probably my main problem. Anything else?

Is there a WiFi connection at your work, and are you leaving the WiFi adapter on, connected or not?
Also, how much do you play with it all day? I used to have a Blackjack, and doing moderate browsing all day, and having my 3G adapter search for network whenever it got spotty, would pretty much eat my entire battery, by the end of the day. If your wireless adapter is "ON" on the phone, then it will do the same, pretty much.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
i wonder how much turning wifi off will make a difference...

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
It's because the battery life isn't nearly as long as it is advertised to be. The only way to achieve the battery life they claim is to turn the brightness down A LOT, don't use internet or ipod, and make sure you push the sleep button instead of letting it go idle after a minute or two.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I too have the same problem.

The battery life really is a joke. Today, I have made three phone calls, each being no more than about five minutes. I have browsed the Internet for all of about MAYBE ten minutes. I've received and replied to a few emails.

That's it.

No iPod usage at all--I don't even have any music on the thing. Yes, WiFi is turned on, no, I do not have WiFi at work.

It upsets me that Apple puts WiFi on the phone and then we can't use it because it drains the battery insanely fast.

I have almost no battery power left. It's 4:21 PM. I took the phone off my charger at 6:00 AM.

The battery is unacceptable.

Rumpelgeist

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
I too have the same problem.

The battery life really is a joke. Today, I have made three phone calls, each being no more than about five minutes. I have browsed the Internet for all of about MAYBE ten minutes. I've received and replied to a few emails.

That's it.

No iPod usage at all--I don't even have any music on the thing. Yes, WiFi is turned on, no, I do not have WiFi at work.

It upsets me that Apple puts WiFi on the phone and then we can't use it because it drains the battery insanely fast.

I have almost no battery power left. It's 4:21 PM. I took the phone off my charger at 6:00 AM.

The battery is unacceptable.

Rumpelgeist
This was going to be a suspected problem since the phones introduction, and I'm really pissed off that Apple basically lied to everyone. The battery life they claim is only achievable if you manipulate the phone into an almost unusable state. The only plus side is that you can charge it on your computer, and you MUST buy a car charger-you're basically xxxxxxx without one.

Things to remember if you're battery is low...

1)Always take your usb cord with you if you're going to be near a computer
2)Buy a car charger
3)Turn your brightness down and wifi off if you're not going to be near an outlet or computer for a long period of time.
4)After using the phone, always hit the sleep button. Never let it sit there for a minute, two, or however long your settings specify before it goes onto sleep manually.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
This was going to be a suspected problem since the phones introduction, and I'm really pissed off that Apple basically lied to everyone. The battery life they claim is only achievable if you manipulate the phone into an almost unusable state. The only plus side is that you can charge it on your computer, and you MUST buy a car charger-you're basically xxxxxx without one.
Amen brother! I am as upset as you are. I am not upset enough to return the phone. It is an amazing device, BUT the battery life is a serious problem and I don't appreciate being led to believe that it wouldn't be a problem. I thought my Treo's battery life was bad!

Rumpelgeist

Jun 30, 2007
that's no good! I've been using mine a ton since Friday with wifi turned on without a problem. I get at least eight hours of heavy use including the iPod features. Rotten luck, guys!

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
that's no good! I've been using mine a ton since Friday with wifi turned on without a problem. I get at least eight hours of heavy use including the iPod features. Rotten luck, guys!
Why do people do this? Check your usage time, there's no way you can use the phone non stop for 8 hours, even Apple doesn't claim that-jackass.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
Talk time: Up to 8 hours
Standby time: Up to 250 hours
Internet use: Up to 6 hours
Video playback: Up to 7 hours
Audio playback: Up to 24 hours

Quoted from Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
the review on engadget talks bad about the iPhone but does rave about the battery saying that it was great and can be used for calls, music, and video in the same day. I wonder is mines defective.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I have the same battery issue. Just got off work at 5pm and the battery is 1/4 full. Im wondering if it would last all night without charge.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
the review on engadget talks bad about the iPhone but does rave about the battery saying that it was great and can be used for calls, music, and video in the same day. I wonder is mines defective.
Nobody has a defective battery. Half the people on this forum need to take Steve Job's dick out of their mouth and not be afraid to complain about the things they don't like.

Jun 30, 2007
Why do people do this? Check your usage time, there's no way you can use the phone non stop for 8 hours, even Apple doesn't claim that-xxxxxx.
I didn't say I used the phone non-stop for eight hours. I simply stated that I used it heavily over the course of eight hours without any issues regarding battery life.

Let me further simplify for you, my friend. I spent all day, touting its features to anyone who asked, watching videos, exchanging several e-mails, browsing the web on wifi and on EDGE, playing it through my car's stereo while driving, as well as making a few phone calls. That all started at 10:00AM this morning. It is now 9:15PM and my battery is at roughly 65% remaining.

Now that I've clarified the basis for my previous comment to the thread, let's talk about those communication skills of yours.

Nobody has a defective battery.
I'm a former employee of the Apple Store. No one is tired of people complaining about batter issues (a la iPods) than I am. However, defects DO happen and with more than 700,000 iPhones sold over the weekend, I dare not say that "Nobody has a defective battery."

It should also be noted that I'm a former Blackberry user. Now, anyone who has used one will be the first to tell you that the battery life is phenomenal. I could go three days with heavy use on my 8700 without even needing to charge. I wasn't expecting that kind of longevity out of my iPhone. I don't think anyone who made an educated purchase on Friday expected that either. However, when I originally stated that I hadn't had any problems with the "shorter" battery life of the iPhone, I was simply trying to make the point that there's no need to panic. Yes, the battery life is shorter than other, more feature simplistic phones. My bottom line was that it is possible to have a perfectly reasonable window of time with which to enjoy the full features of your iPhone without needing to be constantly tethered to an electrical outlet.

If I find something I really dislike about my iPhone, I'll be the first to post it, mkay sweetpea?

Then again, I'm not a genius like you seem to be, so you'll rarely find me speaking in such extremes. Call me a humble plebeian, if you wish. I'm only here to try and answer other people's questions and get a few of my own resolved. Obviously, you came to be a ****.

Now, back to more productive discussions. I hope you enjoy your iPhone, my friend.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Nobody has a defective battery.
Yeah thats it. Maybe you are too stupid to own a telephone?

Why is it that anyone complaining about battery life is incapable of providing any actual information.

The phone tells you exactly how much it has been used since the last full charge.

Yet all I hear is people lying and saying they sent 1 email and their battery went to 10% left in 2 hours.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Im going to try giving it a full charge tonight with the wall adapter instead.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
I didn't say I used the phone non-stop for eight hours. I simply stated that I used it heavily over the course of eight hours without any issues regarding battery life.

Let me further simplify for you, my friend. I spent all day, touting its features to anyone who asked, watching videos, exchanging several e-mails, browsing the web on wifi and on EDGE, playing it through my car's stereo while driving, as well as making a few phone calls. That all started at 10:00AM this morning. It is now 9:15PM and my battery is at roughly 65% remaining.

Now that I've clarified the basis for my previous comment to the thread, let's talk about those communication skills of yours.

I'm a former employee of the Apple Store. No one is tired of people complaining about batter issues (a la iPods) than I am. However, defects DO happen and with more than 700,000 iPhones sold over the weekend, I dare not say that "Nobody has a defective battery."

It should also be noted that I'm a former Blackberry user. Now, anyone who has used one will be the first to tell you that the battery life is phenomenal. I could go three days with heavy use on my 8700 without even needing to charge. I wasn't expecting that kind of longevity out of my iPhone. I don't think anyone who made an educated purchase on Friday expected that either. However, when I originally stated that I hadn't had any problems with the "shorter" battery life of the iPhone, I was simply trying to make the point that there's no need to panic. Yes, the battery life is shorter than other, more feature simplistic phones. My bottom line was that it is possible to have a perfectly reasonable window of time with which to enjoy the full features of your iPhone without needing to be constantly tethered to an electrical outlet.

If I find something I really dislike about my iPhone, I'll be the first to post it, mkay sweetpea?

Then again, I'm not a genius like you seem to be, so you'll rarely find me speaking in such extremes. Call me a humble plebeian, if you wish. I'm only here to try and answer other people's questions and get a few of my own resolved. Obviously, you came to be a ****.

Now, back to more productive discussions. I hope you enjoy your iPhone, my friend.
If there's something wrong with everyone's battery who's complaining, that isn't a "defective battery", that's a "mass frack-up" by Apple and would demand a massive re-call, ultimately devastating their sales and reputation.