iPhone behaves like a bricked iPod Touch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 17, 2007
Hi. First of all, I'm posting from my iPhone right now and I was able to fix it by simply restoring. I'm curious tho about what happened to my phone before.

I am running 1.1.1 and jailbroke it using independence. Everything worked fine and i installed apptapp. The weird thing is customize acted up a lot, esp. The rsbt part. Anyway, i was uninstalling mobile chat because the icon appeared to be blank on my springboard. After I uninstalled, the springboard restarted andwhen I slid to unlock, I had "iPod" in the upper left corner of the screen and there was absolutely nothing on the springboard. Restoring brought it back to a jailed 1.1.1 iPhone.

I read in some other thread that this happened and restoring fixed it.

I'm wondering if its worth it to go through the jailbreak process again. Does anyone know why thus happened?

Sep 16, 2007
ipod problem

Hi. First of all, I'm posting from my iPhone right now and I was able to fix it by simply restoring. I'm curious tho about what happened to my phone before.

I am running 1.1.1 and jailbroke it using independence. Everything worked fine and i installed apptapp. The weird thing is customize acted up a lot, esp. The rsbt part. Anyway, i was uninstalling mobile chat because the icon appeared to be blank on my springboard. After I uninstalled, the springboard restarted andwhen I slid to unlock, I had "iPod" in the upper left corner of the screen and there was absolutely nothing on the springboard. Restoring brought it back to a jailed 1.1.1 iPhone.

I read in some other thread that this happened and restoring fixed it.

I'm wondering if its worth it to go through the jailbreak process again. Does anyone know why thus happened?

Just use winscp to replace the new display order plist and that will fix it......ithink it's like the m68a.plist or something like that i don't know right off hand

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, this has happened to me--and it was due to Customize. I now use Customize very minimally, if at all.

What happens is that M68AP.plist or N45AP.plist--or both--get corrupted. Those files are located here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

So what I do now is keep backups of those two plist files. And sure enough, I got iPodified by Customize again--but this time I was able to use SCP to restore the plists and all was fine. Didn't have to restore.

--
Mike

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, this has happened to me--and it was due to Customize. I now use Customize very minimally, if at all.

What happens is that M68AP.plist or N45AP.plist--or both--get corrupted. Those files are located here:
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

So what I do now is keep backups of those two plist files. And sure enough, I got iPodified by Customize again--but this time I was able to use SCP to restore the plists and all was fine. Didn't have to restore.

--
Mike

Sounds like customize is something to stay away from; especially for those of us who lack the knowledge to fix it other than a restore.

This time around, I did not install customize.

Oct 17, 2007
oo that makes sense. I'm on a Mac so I use cyberduck, but its the same thing that your talking about.

Customize does seem VERY buggy. Its sorts not worth using although it includes rsbt. I think the best 2 apps are tap tap :) and mobilechat.

I guess ill rejailbreak later and backup the plists.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
tinman would you be able to post the back-ups you have....and would they work on my phone....i think the same thing happened to my girlfriends phone and would like see if i can fix it by restoring those files but i don't have any back ups

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
tinman would you be able to post the back-ups you have....and would they work on my phone....i think the same thing happened to my girlfriends phone and would like see if i can fix it by restoring those files but i don't have any back ups
Here ya' go...

If her iPhone is showing iPod instead of AT&T at the top of the screen, replacing these files should fix it.

--
Mike

Attachments

hutch.

Oct 28, 2007
Just one more thing, my dock is now at the top of my screen and obscuring the first line of icons.

How do I get it back to the bottom please?

molamola

Nov 8, 2007
so glad i finally found people who has problem like me.
worse than that, i accidentally turn off my SSH by using "Services" app.
i can only open safari, contacts, and music for now.

guess my only way out is restore huh?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
so glad i finally found people who has problem like me.
worse than that, i accidentally turn off my SSH by using "Services" app.
i can only open safari, contacts, and music for now.

guess my only way out is restore huh?
If you can use iBrickr 0.91 you should be able to replace the plist file. There are other file transfer tools that don't need SSH too.

--
Mike

csk007

Dec 8, 2007
my heart was pumping loud

hey thanks for this post....

it saved my 1 day old iPhone...and my life...

i have 1.1.1 jailbreaked used customize application carelessly....

restarted my phone...

hush..got an empty screen...i lost my soul...

within seconds powered my pc googling landed up here...thank goodness..

but still could not access my phone file system....tried touch copy(evaluation version)...didn't work it assumed mine to be an ipod...

crossed my fingers hoped that iBrikr worked for 1.1.1 and it did(used iBrikr 0.91)....
downloaded those files given in the post and simply uploaded (M68AP.plist & N45AP.plist to system\library\coreservices\springboard.app\) to my phone restarted and my soul was powered up.thnks guys for saving my day...

u prevented me from screwing my new phone>>my exams tomo>>my life as well thanks again :)....

and piece of advice...no matter if your novoice or not use customize application carefuly...as a matter of fact i am gonna uninstall it right now:cool: