iPhone Bluetooth Possibilities

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey all, I was thinking last night about how much I love this damn phone. It is almost scary. But anyway, I have a nice touchscreen home theater remote which transmits on IR. I use the same wallpaper for my Phillips remote as I do for my iPhone. Last night I was watching TV with my wife and had the iPhone and the Phillips on the table in front of me. I went to change the channel and grabbed the iPhone instead. My wife laughed at me and called me a moron!
Anyway, it got me thinking. Could the iPhone ever use it's bluetooth capabilities to control electronic devices in a home theater environment? I have a PS3 which is BT. It would be soo fricken cool to be able to have a universal remote type of app on the iPhone. Hell, Im sure even a third party could develope a bluetooth hub that receives BT signals from the iPhone then sends IR to IR devices.
Would that be cool as hell, or am I crazy?
Also, should this post be in the BT section?

Jul 23, 2007
I use my iPhone as a remote, but not via bluetooth. Rather a network connection detailed here. Application specific, but really cool. But I agree that a BT remote would be cool, although limited.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I use my iPhone as a remote, but not via bluetooth. Rather a network connection detailed here. Application specific, but really cool. But I agree that a BT remote would be cool, although limited.
I am not familiar with MythTV but now I am interested. Ill have to do some digging for more info on this. Thanks Secrets.
Also, what do you currently control through MythTV?

Jul 23, 2007
I am not familiar with MythTV but now I am interested. Ill have to do some digging for more info on this. Thanks Secrets.
Also, what do you currently control through MythTV?
everything... (enjoy your reading):cool:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
While controlling a PVR app (Myth) is cool, I would really like to see a WiFi-to-IR app. Pretty sure I saw it posted somewhere.

All you really need is an IR blaster on the PC, software to control it on the PC, and a Web server app to serve it up on the local WiFi network. If needed an IR extender could be used to re-transmit the blaster output to the TV, if it's in another room.

The reason I'd like this is because I have a Pronto remote that I have configured with tons of macros and whatnot (e.g., "Watch DVD" turns on everything needed to watch a DVD, then dims the lights). I have an X10-to-IR box so I can control all of my X10 stuff with the Pronto too. Would be nice to do it all with the iPhone.

--
Mike

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
While controlling a PVR app (Myth) is cool, I would really like to see a WiFi-to-IR app. Pretty sure I saw it posted somewhere.

All you really need is an IR blaster on the PC, software to control it on the PC, and a Web server app to serve it up on the local WiFi network. If needed an IR extender could be used to re-transmit the blaster output to the TV, if it's in another room.

The reason I'd like this is because I have a Pronto remote that I have configured with tons of macros and whatnot (e.g., "Watch DVD" turns on everything needed to watch a DVD, then dims the lights). I have an X10-to-IR box so I can control all of my X10 stuff with the Pronto too. Would be nice to do it all with the iPhone.

--
Mike
Tinman, I have a Pronto and the x10 stuff as well. I love it.