iPhone boots up and freezes on home screen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 23, 2007
As the title says last night I was in the installer app looking at some new apps on my unlocked and jailbroken iPhone running firmware 1.1.1 and when I exited the program without even choosing any new programs to install the phone crashed and now only boots up by doing a hard reset by holding the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The phone takes a few minutes to boot up then skips the unlock screen and goes right to the home screen where it freezes and occasionally gives me the circle going around telling me its thinking. Help me out with what to do here please I need my phone back up and working asap. Thanks in advance guys

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Hate to break it to you, but sounds like you might need to restore. Sounds to me like some program you were trying to install messed up summerboard or the home screen. What program were you trying to install?

Oct 23, 2007
I actually just went in to remove some programs and after restarting it froze up on me. I tried doing a restore through iTunes to version 1.1.1 which came with the phone but iTunes keeps giving me an error saying the ipod cannot be restored unknown error (4) What am I doing wrong? Someone help me out please I need my phone back up and running today

Oct 23, 2007
Also when I go to do a restore in iTunes the white screen comes up on the iPhone for a second like its supposed too after it extracts the software package for the firmware then the computer makes the sound almost immediately after the white screen comes on the iPhone that the phone has been disconnected and then I get the error message saying that the iPhone cannot be updated

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately, it sounds like a Restore to me too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that because your phone is unlocked, you will have to use Revirginizer to Restore it properly. (I'm no genius when it comes to unlocking, so I may be wrong.)

- John

Oct 23, 2007
Yeah thats what I have been wondering as well if I need to revirginize but I don't know if I can. I've been looking at the proceedure to revirginize and I cannot connect to my wi-fi network at home with my iPhone the way it is to SCP to it. Is there any other way to revirginize first so I can get this thing restored? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

urmil19

Feb 17, 2008
Hi
did u manage to solve your problem even i am stuck with the same i was trying to unlock my 1.1.2 OTB with i.unlock.no the phone to jailbreak and even unlock but the touch screen doesn't respond i cannot even reboot or even when i put it on charge the charge sign also doesn't show up...
i tried to restore it back to 1.1.2 and the phone went back to lock mode but still the screen doenst respond. cannot go to emergency call dailer...
Pls help......
Thanks in advance