iPhone: Buy Now or Wait?

johnr

Oct 12, 2007
As a long time Apple customer, I have always tried to balance the "buy the first model" with "wait for the second generation." It's a trade off of having it NOW or waiting (which amounts to loss of use). Based on your experiences, are there enough "things to be fixed" that I should wait until say after MacWorld 2008 in San Francisco to see if a new model is going to surface? I must admit, the high "coolness factor" of the iPhone makes me want to go with the NOW approach! :)

Lummers

Oct 3, 2007
I was in the exact same boat. BUT....I decided to take the plunge so I got mine earlier tonight and couldn't be happier! There will always be something better that comes along in the future with technology and all. But its not like there won't be any updates to further improve (or in some cases, hinder ;) ) this 1st generation.

I'd say get one and enjoy it :)

spscoral

Jul 3, 2007
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this.... BUT......

I kinda regret getting an iPhone. I too am a long time mac/Apple user and this has been the worst Apple purchase I've made.

There are other phones that have more capabilities than the iPhone. Apple has tightened the noose of what the full potental could be with this. The bluetooth is a joke, only for calls, no file transfer.... real drag.

Only with AT&T? WTH? I've never had the service until the iPhone. AT&T is really bad, my previous provider was great, now nothing but dropped calls, screwed up bills etc.

I can say the large screen is a great plus. The ipod part is great, safari is great, email push..... yes, it's ok.

I bought into the iPhone hype.... Should have waited and looked at other phones that worked with my former provider.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you want for the newest, next best thing, you'll always end up empty handed. If you think you would enjoy the iPhone then by all means purchase one, it's only $400 (now) and even if you regret it there's still a large market on ebay so that you don't take a total loss. For me, it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made, hands down.

johnr

Oct 12, 2007
As a long time Apple customer, I have always tried to balance the "buy the first model" with "wait for the second generation." It's a trade off of having it NOW or waiting (which amounts to loss of use). Based on your experiences, are there enough "things to be fixed" that I should wait until say after MacWorld 2008 in San Francisco to see if a new model is going to surface? I must admit, the high "coolness factor" of the iPhone makes me want to go with the NOW approach! :)
As a response to the questions posted by "acosmichippo" I am currently usingt a Treo Palm 700p on Verizon. The phone is fine, the e-mail is okay, but the web browsing is terrible. So, I am looking for a way to improve the last two functions. The iPhone attracted me because of the Safari cabibiilty. A few (minor?) things about the iPhone cause me to pause: "cut & paste" option? headset port size? need for more memory?

Thanks to all of you who have responded! I am leaning toward the GET IT NOW! approach. :laugh2:

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
My thought on getting now or waiting went like this. If I get it now I can use it now. What does it have now that is missing that can be added by software and what is missing that can be added by hardware improvement? 3G and true GPS would need hardware, as best I understand. So that would be an iPhone2 type option, but here is the kicker. With AT&T the GPS function will cost money (which I would not be willing to pay) so the GPS is useless to me. The 3G that they think MIGHT be available at the end of 08 does not impress me, due to crappy coverage in huge metro area. (I am in Atlanta and previous phone was 3G) so the 3G is useless to me. So the only thing hardware wise that I would be interested in would be a larger memory size, say 16gig. But, that larger memory size will come with an additional cost and I have not even come close to filling my current 8gig, so size is pretty unimportant to me. The only thing left is software updates and those will come when they come on either platform. So in closing, if any of the hardware type upgrades are deal breakers for you then go ahead and wait till iPhone2 and hope those hardware improvements are included. If you are simply looking at software improvements, like cut & paste, then go ahead and get it now. Your mileage may vary.