iPhone call conference and swap problems

nishant_81

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a problem with my iPhone's capability to swap calls and conference calls. I am not sure if it is a network problem but I was searching on this forum and it seems people have been able to conference successfuly. Anyways, here it is:

Whenever I am on a call with someone and I get another call (call wait), the iPhone presents me with three options -- "end current call and answer", "hold call and answer", and "ignore". If I chose the first or the last option (basically, anything other than "hold call and answer"), things are fine. But (and I have tried this some 4 - 5 times) whenever I chose the "hold current call and answer" option, it holds the call and connects me to the second caller. Whenever this happens, I am not able to hear the second caller at all. It seems as if there is a problem in the line. Then, as I try to conference the call or "swap", it doesn't let me..... then, I see two active calls on the phone screen, but am not able to shift to either, or talk to either person. The phone just doesn't respond. Then, when I try to end the call, it kinda doesn't. I press the home button, it goes to the home screen and i see a green bar on the top showing that two calls are active. Then i tap that and again try to end the calls multiple times, and after all this, the phone kinda hangs for 5-6 seconds. After that it almost resets, i.e., for a few seconds it says no service and then immediately I see full service. And this happens in areas where there is full service throughout.

Sorry for the long description, but I just wanted to be clear. It has kinda become irritating and frustrating. A friend of mine who bought his iPhone a couple of weeks ago is also facing the same problem.

I have ab 8GB phone bought in Jan 08 and have the latest 1.1.4 OS version.

Has anyone else, here, been in the same situation, and if yes, then how did you resolve it (if at all)?

Thanks!
Nishant

nishant_81

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
how come there are no replies to this question?

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing a problem with my iPhone's capability to swap calls and conference calls. I am not sure if it is a network problem but I was searching on this forum and it seems people have been able to conference successfuly. Anyways, here it is:

Whenever I am on a call with someone and I get another call (call wait), the iPhone presents me with three options -- "end current call and answer", "hold call and answer", and "ignore". If I chose the first or the last option (basically, anything other than "hold call and answer"), things are fine. But (and I have tried this some 4 - 5 times) whenever I chose the "hold current call and answer" option, it holds the call and connects me to the second caller. Whenever this happens, I am not able to hear the second caller at all. It seems as if there is a problem in the line. Then, as I try to conference the call or "swap", it doesn't let me..... then, I see two active calls on the phone screen, but am not able to shift to either, or talk to either person. The phone just doesn't respond. Then, when I try to end the call, it kinda doesn't. I press the home button, it goes to the home screen and i see a green bar on the top showing that two calls are active. Then i tap that and again try to end the calls multiple times, and after all this, the phone kinda hangs for 5-6 seconds. After that it almost resets, i.e., for a few seconds it says no service and then immediately I see full service. And this happens in areas where there is full service throughout.

Sorry for the long description, but I just wanted to be clear. It has kinda become irritating and frustrating. A friend of mine who bought his iPhone a couple of weeks ago is also facing the same problem.

I have ab 8GB phone bought in Jan 08 and have the latest 1.1.4 OS version.

Has anyone else, here, been in the same situation, and if yes, then how did you resolve it (if at all)?

Thanks!
Nishant

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
how come there are no replies to this question?
Probably just because it is a hard problem to replicate.

The total silence probably indicates that not a ton of people do conference calls on their iPhone, so they might not even look based on the title. If a bunch of people did, you'd probably have several people saying "I do it all the time and it works great for me."

Since you are really talking about a problem putting people on hold, I would recommend starting a new thread with "problem with call holding" or something like that.

Also, you might consider being a little more brief in the description of your problem.

There are a lot of smart people here that would be happy to help if you can get them to look.

I have had a couple of situations where I put a call on hold to get another and have not experienced what you mention. But I can't say for sure if that is since 1.1.4 or before.

shayneo

Mar 4, 2010
Thanks Nishant for that perfect desciption of exactly what i'm have trouble with.

But now i see by the replies this problem ain't going away anytime soon.

come on you iPhone gurus help me and Nishant out

shayneo

Mar 4, 2010
G'Day Nishant,

I went back to my phone provider and they simply clicked a button to activate the call waiting. I can now swap calls and have conference calls etc.

Hopefully it's as simple as that for you mate.