iPhone Calling People

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KRIEGHOFF, Dec 4, 2011.

1. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

Ok Someone needs to explain how this works!?

Whenever you make a call on the iPhone you have to push the start button, slide the arrow right, pick phone, pick contact and push the button to call.

But when my phone is in my pocket it will call someone without me touching it.

Someone tell me how it does this! LOL

2. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Try putting a lock code on your phone. Should stop that from happening.

3. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

With how good the capacitive screen is on the iPhone, I haven't butt dialed in years except when I had a loaner phone when I had to send my 3GS in for repair. I don't know how it could be dialing. Unless you are pushing the home button somehow and Siri is picking up voices and dialing what it thinks is right. I told it to set a timer for 15 minutes last week and it tried to send an email to one of my co-workers.

4. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

If you don't want to use the pass lock code make sure the phone is in lock mode ( tap power button on top) before you put it in your pocket

5. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Voice control?

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Yeah I've had my iPod touch in my bag just get jostled around and all of a sudden start playing music without being touched by a finger. No idea why and recently I had a friend who received a butt call from an iPhone too, weird, huh?

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

With the title and this phrase I was laughing.
    It is a phone it's supposed to call people lol

Ok serious now. The phones screen can be operated with many things. Including but not limited to a dogs tongue and even a chicken nugget (thanks naps). In your pocket it could be recovering the proper amounts of touching to send a call. Code should help this process from not happening.

8. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Boobs...

9. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

My sister does not lock her screen very often, and has called me from her purse 4-5 times in the past 2 years. One went to my voicemail and I have 3 minutes of listening to her sing to the car radio.
    But some of those calls she swears that she locked her screen...

10. KRIEGHOFF

KRIEGHOFF Member
    Bronze

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i think she is trying to say that she keeps her iPhone in her bra and sometimes her boobs are making the false calls. but i could be wrong.
    all i have to say with about this topic is "nuts";)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Butt dialing ain't all it's cracked up to be...

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The iPhone screen reacts to heat, so I don't know how that can be happening, unless ofcourse.......so many things come to mind.
    It's weird for sure.

14. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i never knew that benny thank's, guess folks should stop carrying there phone in there privates.;)

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Yeah, the guy who sold me the otterbox told me, I couldn't understand how I could use the screen with the thick plastic on top,
    I thought it only responded to touch.
    So to the OP, something warm is touching the screen. oh god!

16. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

LOL! No, I don't keep my phone in my bra, however, a friend of mine did one day, while cleaning. I got 3 or 4 calls from her, in a row, where I just heard weird noises and nothing else. On the last one I started shouting, she finally heard me and realized what was going on.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

weird, I've never once, to my knowledge, in 4+ years, ever had a pocket dial on my iPhone.

18. Bcwalt

Bcwalt New Member

This happened to me recently at a party. The phone placed a call to my daughter without me realizing it. I only found out because she called me the next day and mentioned that she could hear people talking in the background. Upon investigation it turns out that with my iPhone4 (running OS6) it is possible to start voice control even when the phone is locked by pressing the Home button to make the "slide to unlock" screen appear and then again pressing and holding the button (without sliding the arrow to unlock the phone).
    Lo and behold, voice control is activated. Then, if you or someone nearby speaks the name of one of your contacts, a call will be placed. I can see how this may happen if you sit down repeatedly. Anyway, that's my explanation.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Yup, that will do it. My sister "purse dials" me a lot. Its mainly because she doesn't lock her screen normally, and auto lock is set to never.
    It amazes me that someone with a touch screen phone can place so many calls with it in her purse.