iPhone Camera Lens AR Coating

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Before I get to my topic I wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been coming here for a few months now but just now decided to register. Great bunch of people here and a LOT of useful information.
Now, on to my topic.... (sorry this is so long)

When I got my iPhone for Christmas it used to take pretty good pictures (as good as a 2mb camera can anyway), but after about 2 weeks I noticed that my pictures had a hazy look to them and weren't as clear as they used to be.
I checked out the cameras lens and noticed that it looked like it had an oily film all over it. I gently cleaned it with a soft cloth but that didn't seem to work. I ended up just leaving it and figured that since it's only a 2mb camera I couldn't expect much better.
Since then I've seen tons of pictures on the web taken with other peoples iPhones and couldn't believe how clear they were. My pictures were never as clear and nice as the ones that I was seeing.
Today I decided that there had to be something that I could do to improve my cameras pictures. I used a magnifying glass and looked closely at my iPhones lens. What I saw wasn't an oily film like I had previously thought but it was the AR coating chipping off the lens. Why this was happening I don't know since I'm one of those people who babies my phone.
I spent hours and hours today searching the web for a way to fix this problem but there doesn't seem to be anything out there short of sending the phone back to Apple and hope for a replacement (which I don't want to do).
I finally decided that I would try to totally remove the AR coating and see what that would do. After all, it couldn't make it any worse than it was already.
What I did was take a Q-tip and dip it in isopropyl alcohol and rub it around on the lens. I held my iPhone with the camera lens side facing down just to make sure that none of the isopropyl alcohol could find a way to get inside the phone and ruin anything. It took about 15 to 20 minutes of constant rubbing and rewetting the Q-tip with more alcohol but I finally got most of the AR coating off the lens. There's still a small amout of the AR coating around the very far border of the lens but I don't think the camera really uses that portion of the lens.
Now my cameras pictures are MUCH clearer than they used to be. I actually think it takes better pictures now than it did the day I got it.

In short, if you're having problems with your pictures looking crappy check out your lens and see if it looks like it has an oily film on it. It's probably the AR coating.

My only regret is that since my earlier pictures were so bad I deleated all of them so now I can't post any before and after pictures to show everyone how much it improved.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Thanks a bunch I never really use my camera but a few weeks ago I noticed the same thing. After reading your post I took a look at my camera lense and was like wow... Good post... thanks again

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
it seems that half the $h!t that Apple made for the iPhone that really separated it from the touch (camera, speaker, etc) the consumer has to somehow modify to make it better and actually usable - i.e. the speaker needs to have a cover punctured to be able to actually listen to music and when someone is speaking, and now this, there is some crap on the coating that screws with the pictures when they are taken?! and you need to take it off, to make the pictures worth anything at all?

next thing you know, there will be a way to make the reception better....

what the hell, Apple?

hit-and-miss...

*sigh*

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
you know what? just last night, as i was going through some of my older pictures, i was asking myself if the older ones looked clearer than my recent ones. i guess it wasn't just my imagination...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
you know what? just last night, as i was going through some of my older pictures, i was asking myself if the older ones looked clearer than my recent ones. i guess it wasn't just my imagination...

"and i willl strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those that attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And you will know my name is THE LORD when i lay my vengeance upon thee! [gunshot gunshot gunshot gunshot]"

sorry..

love that movie.

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
-----------::::::back to topic::::::-------------​

wow ive noticed the same thing on my camera. i just thought i messed it up because i keep it in my pocket naked. cant wait to try this when i get home from work.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
"and i willl strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those that attempt to poison and destroy my brothers! And you will know my name is THE LORD when i lay my vengeance upon thee! [gunshot gunshot gunshot gunshot]"

sorry..

love that movie.
lol.... thats great.....:p