iPhone Camera Roll empty but storage 2gig

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanezam203, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I am running low on storage and my iPhone is saying I have 2gig in imessage (saved) and 2 gig in Camera Roll but my camera roll is empty. I cleaned out my Photo Stream, but that is only 300mb. any clue how to clear or delete the backup or whatever has my 2gig of Camera Roll taking up storage if it isn't the camera roll I can see in Photos?

Thank you,
    Shane

2. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Pictures in your Messages.app could be the culprit. A few months ago, I cleared out all of my pictures and videos in my messages app. Cleared about 1gig of data... Photo stream shouldn't use physical phone storage as it uses iCloud storage.

3. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

How do I clear that? both iMessage and camera roll have over a gig I need to try to clear.
    where is it backing these photos and messages up if it is not in the obvious place camera roll and imessage icon?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yes, photos in Photo Stream do use internal storage space.

5. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

It's kind of a pain, but I went into Messages.app and manually deleted all the photos and videos one by one.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

That's why I don't let mine build up. One by one? Can't you go down the messages and mark them, then delete all at one time?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't ever had to do that. I've checked the before and after usage and it always decreases after I delete the entire texting thread.

Check your usage, delete the pictures and the texting threads, and then check the usage again.

Check here:
    Settings > General > Usage > Storage > wait for the apps to load > Messages and Photos

I've tested this several times in the past and again right now and mine decreases every time I delete any pictures or texting threads. If it still doesn't work for you, try a hard reset and see if the available space shows up afterwards.

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I've only done mine one by one because I don't want to delete the whole thread, just the pictures and videos. Deleting the whole thread would certainly be quicker.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can mark them all and delete every message and retain the thread. I do that all the time.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Yep. That's what I meant by one by one. You can batch them all together, but still have to select them one by one...

11. Muscaria

Muscaria New Member

Here's a Solution which works 99%.
    After giving up on studying various sources on this topics and trying to delete it from my iPhone 3GS, I gave a last chance and Vualá!

A quick tip:
    - simply clean your DCIM folder it via iFunBox. If not familiar with this keyword, read below:

Step by step Solution:

1. download latest iFunBox;
    2. install it on your PC, run it, connect your iPhone via USB;
    3. Click on GENERAL STORAGE, then get back to Media folder:

KHDgjZW.png

4. Open DCIM folder:

VV3fhrW.png

5. Select ALL folders in DCIM, right-click for sub-menu, choose DELETE:

uzaPDbM.png

6. Wait until is done, disconnect you iPhone, go to Settings ... Usage, scroll down until you'll find Photos and tap on it.
      At last, you must see a 0 bytes of taken space:

rtWcPWX.png

Enjoy.
    And please FB Share it, Twit it, Pin it... just spread the word, as seems this issue been discussed all over, but never was quick and easy way to solve it.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I was going to start a new thread, but this one seemed appropriate.
    Here's how to reduce the excess space photos take on your device in iOS 8.
    So if you're showing 2.3 gb for photos in Settings >Manage Storage, but you only have 200 photos in your camera roll, here's the fix:
    1. Go to Settings > General > Date and Time > toggle off "Set Automatically".
    2. Set the time back 2 years.
    3. Go to the Photos app and check the "Recently Deleted" album.
    4. Tap "Select" in the upper right corner.
    Note the number of days on these photos in the image:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431527519.547082.jpg

5. Tap Delete All in the bottom left corner.
    6. Then tap Delete XX Photos.
    6. Go Back to Settings and confirm photos have been reduced from 2.3 gb to the correct number of gb.
    7. Go back to "Set Automatically" in Date and Time and toggle it back on.

All done on your iPhone or iPad. No computer necessary.

Additionally, this may also work for recovering deleted photos. Just tap recover instead of delete.

Note: These are photos that were allowed to delete after the 30 day time in "Recently Deleted". Those photos manually deleted from "Recently Deleted" will not be recoverable in this manner, but nor will they take up space.