iPhone Camera

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lucas7

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
is it just me or with the update did the picture quality get better?
if this is a duplicate post, my apologies.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I don't know, but every time I send someone a photo I've taken with my iPhone, they go on and on about how good the picture quality is. I'm similarly impressed - I'm quite happy with the quality.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
That's a really good picture. I find that the iPhone works great if there is a good light source. I've had some issues when trying to take pictures with dimly lit rooms. But overall I love the pictures my phone takes. I haven't really noticed a difference in quality though.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I love my iPhone camera. It takes very good pictures in fairly low light:

This is a pic of a lion fish at Sea World. For years I've been trying to get a decent picture of those fish in the low-light aquarium with my much more sophisticated cameras, but only got blurry ones. Here comes iPhone and I've got about 12 non-blurry lion fish.

All in all, it's wonderful to have anywhere and not having to worry about carrying anything else. All we need now is a ZOOM.

Last edited by a moderator:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I love my iPhone camera. It takes very good pictures in fairly low light:

This is a pic of a lion fish at Sea World. For years I've been trying to get a decent picture of those fish in the low-light aquarium with my much more sophisticated cameras, but only got blurry ones. Here comes iPhone and I've got about 12 non-blurry lion fish.

All in all, it's wonderful to have anywhere and not having to worry about carrying anything else. All we need now is a ZOOM.

cameraPRO?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
For years I've been trying to get a decent picture of those fish in the low-light aquarium with my much more sophisticated cameras, but only got blurry ones.
2 Recommendations for this, as I also frequent the local aquariums with my digitals in hand.

First off is shutter speed. I don't know if you can adjust this on your camera, but I'd assume so given your taste for finer electronics. You'll experience far less streaking, although your pictures may not appear very bright without some brightness/saturation adjustments later.

The second method is one of my personal favs, putting the camera on burst mode and just holding down the shutter button. Your finger generally moves the viewfinder around from pushing the shutter button down causing some blurring right there, its pretty hard to avoid. Having the camera snap another shot after you press the button, and then again afterwards usually gives you one clean shot in the bunch however, lol. I tend to use this method the most because my camera doesn't save profiles for the different shutter and exposure times I set for normal low light pictures.

I'm not as receptive to the iPhone's low light picture quality myself. A properly lit shot will always look significantly better than what it produces at low level lighting. If the iPhone doesn't detect any color for a pixel you're stuck with whatever channel is strongest, typically red (which is present in your pictures, like the dark areas like above the dragon).

However if thats all ya got at the moment, I reckon something is better than nothing at all. Plus you could always go back in to photoshop and desaturate the red channel in that area I reckon.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Never had the time to take a good pic of those particular fish at Disney World as the kids never give me the time to play with the settings. The burst mode is a good idea, but I really only took my iPhone with me this time!

Yeah, thanks, cameras and I go back a long way.
I found this pic that my Mom took many years ago with an old Kodak brownie camera made in the 1920's. The camera was 40+ years-old when she took the picture. We've come a long way.:)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
There used to be a thread (by Chris) which explained the "status". One star=hobbyist = less than 100 post, 2 stars = enthusiast = 100 to 249 posts, 3 stars=zea lot=250 to 499 posts, 4 stars=evangelist=500 to 999 posts, 5 stars= genius.
It seems to be gone, maybe because after 6 months+, everybody is becoming a genius here.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
lol
I'm pretty impressed with the camera on mine, though I would appreciate some more settings such as the program CameraPRO provides. I would have this app, but I've got no intention of jailbreaking my iPhone.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
lol
I'm pretty impressed with the camera on mine, though I would appreciate some more settings such as the program CameraPRO provides. I would have this app, but I've got no intention of jailbreaking my iPhone.
CameraPro is just software. As far as pic quality is concerned, nothing can replace actual hardware improvement (meaning optical, not digital). More megapixels. A flash. I don't know if an optical zoom is feasible with such a small camera. No more jailbreaking for me either (I almost lost my baby!). Waiting for iPhone 2 to see some real changes.