iPhone Car Dock

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

James^C

Jul 31, 2007
Does anyone know of a iPod/iPhone car dock/cradle that acts as a charger (cigarette lighter) and a line-out connection?

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
Ive been looking everywhere for something like this. I've tried posting a thread about it and didn't really get any responses.

Also, style is a requirement. Why do all these docks have to be ugly as all hell?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
the only thing i've seen like this is the dension system which u should have been able to find on similar threads. Search for it on the web and u will find that it is expensive, only available from foreign suppliers, and has no tech support.

cderalow

Jul 17, 2007
as of the v1.0.1 software update, iPhones will no play sound through the audio out function of the 30 pin dock cable.

this means any iPod charger/dock for the car, will work with the iPhone.

The iPhone will spit out the standard "this product not designed... blah blah blah yes/no" dialog box.

If you want annoying GSM interference, hit no... if you want clear music, hit yes.

As such, any attractive solution to putting an iPod in your car, will work with the iPhone.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
the only thing i've seen like this is the dension system which u should have been able to find on similar threads. Search for it on the web and u will find that it is expensive, only available from foreign suppliers, and has no tech support.
Well as one should do with all things costing money, I checked on ebay and found that these puppies can be picked up from a number of suppliers for various vehicle brands for as little as $20. Probably remaindered from when the company pulled out of the u.s. The original prices I found on the official website were closer to $200. Still no tech support but for that small an investment who cares? I bought one just for the dock/holder to wire directly into my aux input and power supply without using the fancy Dension electronics. I'll let you know how it goes...

windy01

Aug 15, 2007
jennyyu said:
[FONT=Nimbus Roman No9 L, serif]well, i just searched the site i usually go to, found there are a wide range of iPod charging docks, and the prices are reasonable. hope it will help u![/FONT]
well, i have experience with that site, located in HongKong. the delivery is quick, and the service is good. trustworthy!

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
as of the v1.0.1 software update, iPhones will no play sound through the audio out function of the 30 pin dock cable.

this means any iPod charger/dock for the car, will work with the iPhone.

The iPhone will spit out the standard "this product not designed... blah blah blah yes/no" dialog box.

If you want annoying GSM interference, hit no... if you want clear music, hit yes.

As such, any attractive solution to putting an iPod in your car, will work with the iPhone.
I have been playing sound out of the 30 pin connecter ever since i got the iPhone in my car. were did you get that info . it has worked all along.

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I have been working on this one myself. Tuneflex is by far my favorite solution. I have my iPhone mounted right next to the head unit, and I installed a noise filter for the alternator whine that I get when I am charging and listening to music at the same time. It has the line out jack at the charger so you have no exposed wires hanging, and the dock rotates for just about everything you could need for the iPhone. It gives you that annoying warning screen that it wasn't made for iPhone, just you just tap out of the screen and youre good!

hope this helps!

metavoy

Jul 17, 2008
iPhone 3g car solution(well kind of)

Does anyone know of a iPod/iPhone car dock/cradle that acts as a charger (cigarette lighter) and a line-out connection?

I have found what I consider to be a temporary iPhone 3G car solution. The Griffin TuneFlex Aux (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux) will simultaneously charge your iPhone 3G and play music through either an auxiliary input or cassette adapter.

However, it's not perfectly ideal. None of the included dock adapters fit the iPhone perfectly I am not crazy about the 'flexibility' of the 'arm' that connects to the car charger. I emailed Griffin prior to my purchase and they claim that "...while the current TuneFlex is not compatible with the iPhone 3G for the reason listed above that they are working on the issue.

For me, it's better than nothing. My previous dock solution was rendered obsolete due to changes Apple has finally made with the 'pin configuration' so I guess I'll deal with this one for the time being.

Lastly, after searching at two Apple Stores, Best Buy and Circuit City, I finally found one at the local Wal-Mart suprisingly enough....

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use a DICE kit in my car - its a box of electronics similar to the Dension I believe, which 'impersonates' the CD changer (which has to be disconnected) and allows music playback through the car hi-fi.

A dock connector provides power and connectivity, and you can use whatever cradle you like. I paid GB£85 for the kit, and GB£50 for it to be fitted, and works great.

Pics in this iPhone car vent thread.
Cheers

T

Last edited by a moderator:

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I've also had to use a workaround as I haven't found any one product I like - especially because I like to mount mine where I can use it as my GPS. I have an INCREDIBLE mount that attaches really securely to the window and then (sigh) have my charging cable going to my lighter thing and an AUX cable attached to my stereo. I tied the cables up in a pretty ribbon (a zip tie would work and be more manly) to keep them out of the way. It works really well but would love to find a perfect solution, too.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I've also had to use a workaround as I haven't found any one product I like - especially because I like to mount mine where I can use it as my GPS. I have an INCREDIBLE mount that attaches really securely to the window and then (sigh) have my charging cable going to my lighter thing and an AUX cable attached to my stereo. I tied the cables up in a pretty ribbon (a zip tie would work and be more manly) to keep them out of the way. It works really well but would love to find a perfect solution, too.
Here is the best overall solution I can give you that would take care of 90% of what you want/need
ProclipUSA.com and select your holder and mount. I suggest getting the adjustable model with the pass-through connector.
Next, get a Griffin Auto Pilot. It's not going to be listed for the iPhone, but it works fine. connect your stereo to the Auto Pilot, which plugs into the cigarette adapter, and run the cable to the pass through of the dock.

This is essentially what I have - except ProClips didn't have an adjustable dock ( for a phone in a case) so I have to come up with my own dock solution.
Look through some of my older posts and you should be able to see what I built.