iPhone Car Integration

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
This thread will chart my visual progress as I attempt to integrate my iPhone into my car audio system with the iPhone as part of my dash. This is a bit of an advanced DIY, so not for the faint of heart. The results speak for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Very nice job man!
But I have a few questions. So is your phone permanently mounted in the dash? or can it be removed once you reach your destination?
I was looking at the holder you made, but I don't see how the phone would be able to be removed easily.

Also, what app are you using to rotate the springboard to landscape?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Go on with ya bad self Smiley Pimp. Awesome mod.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
Very nice job man!
But I have a few questions. So is your phone permanently mounted in the dash? or can it be removed once you reach your destination?
I was looking at the holder you made, but I don't see how the phone would be able to be removed easily.

Also, what app are you using to rotate the springboard to landscape?
i don't think the springboard is actually landscape. the status bar is still on the narrow part of the screen. also if you look at the icons, they are sideways, but the badges on the icons are still set up for a portrait sb.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i don't think the springboard is actually landscape. the status bar is still on the narrow part of the screen. also if you look at the icons, they are sideways, but the badges on the icons are still set up for a portrait sb.
Take a look at this pic and the only thing that is not in landscape mode is the Carrier/time/battery bar. Everything else is landscape. I'm just curious as to how he did that, and how he docks and undocks his phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's a theme, Hawk. Clear dock, wallpaper has dock-looking thing down the left side. The icons are all oriented for landscape, but their badge indicators give away the illusion.

I also get the feeling the phone is permanently docked at this point, with plans to make it removable in the future.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'd be pretty cool if he could make a fold out drawer for it with all the pieces he has now.
Flip it out, dock it, slip it in, and close it. Maybe some magnetic tabs to hold it closed.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I'd be pretty cool if he could make a fold out drawer for it with all the pieces he has now.
Flip it out, dock it, slip it in, and close it. Maybe some magnetic tabs to hold it closed.
Hey Hawk great minds think alike, i had 2 cell phone magnets holding it in place but i was to paranoid to leave them in place so i took them off. (im still old school where magnets and computers don't mix)

To answer your other question i insert and remove the iPhone every time i get in the car, and i also have a cover that covers the whole hole when i don't feel like docking my iPhone (not pictured) but i will take some pics of it, because if it is a short local ride i may not feel like docking my iPhone. Anyway this is how i put in and take out my iPhone, My radio has a detachable face :

I press the button that the arrow is pointing to and the bottom half of my radio with the red rectangle around it pops out, it is big enough for me to stick my fingers in there and drop my iPhone in and pull it out. The dock i made actually came from the little dock they give you in the iPhone box, i just cut off the side so it slides rite in.

And for the theme Dave was basically rite, i just used the winterboard theme (Horizontal) found in Cydia. I checked, no icon titles and no docked icon titles, then i just made a wallpaper in photoshop where i moved the gray dock horizontally to give it the landscape affect. Oh and i did the no page dots option also.

My future plan is to buy the Apple composite cable, hook it up to my 6.5 inch pioneer screen and use the cydia app : Screensplitr
this would be awesome and i can't wait
while doing some google searching i feel like this nerd stole my idea! but he did it first so i have to give him credit, and this is a good video of what i want to do:
Lmao you have to watch this video, this guy is so enthused lol
(hey look icafe is actually discussing the iPhone)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
(hey look icafe is actually discussing the iPhone)
Don't hurt yourself there, big guy!

Seriously nice build... and that screen splitter idea sounds sicko. Keep us updated.