iPhone & Car Stereo

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Currently I have an Alpine car stereo that is connected directly to my ipod, allowing me to scroll through the ipod through the head unit. I would assume the iPhone could do the same?!?!? Any thoughts about car stereos and other products like this.

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
i have a jensen dual din, that it ipod compatable as well. it would be sweet if we could hook up iPhone to it too. i wouldn't see why you couldn't.

juju2682

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Champaign,IL
I have the same Ipod interface in my car. But I'm waiting to find out more info from Alpine before I plug my iPhone into it. I do not want to BRICK a $600
cell phone.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
What is unknown is whether or not the iPhone will "appear" like an iPod when docked. This might get a little tricky depending on it's file structure, but it's certainly possible.

If all the interface does is to pass audio, I think you're ok. If it passes control info like ff, rev, pause, etc., you're still probably ok. If it has navigation where it mirrors the filelist on the headunit, then you're beginning to get into uncertainty but still possible if the iPhone can "emulate" an iPod control interface.

I seriously doubt iPhone apps will be displayable on a iPod compatible headunit, as no knowledge about the iPhone was available when the headunit was designed.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i have a dvd player in my car, that has a plug for headphone jacks (where you plug in your ipod) when you plug in an ipod its just a blue screen, and you ahve to scroll through your ipod to play songs. i hope the iPhone is the same way, if it wont hook up to my car ill be so pissed. but theres really not a doubt in my mind, im almost certain the iPhone will plug in just like the ipod

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Basic iPod controls (Play, Pause, Skip track, etc) should work since its the standard iPod dock connector. More advanced controls beyond basic functions remain to be seen, but I would expect basic data transfer, as far as track number, title, etc should come across also.

Ocala

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Ocala, FL
What is unknown is whether or not the iPhone will "appear" like an iPod when docked. This might get a little tricky depending on it's file structure, but it's certainly possible.

I seriously doubt iPhone apps will be displayable on a iPod compatible headunit, as no knowledge about the iPhone was available when the headunit was designed.

I have a Pioneer that has an Ipod adapter as well, I like the idea of seeing the menu on the radio, as well as charging the iPhone at the same time.

I don't want to "Brick" my phone either, but my understanding is that the phone is designed to be "backward compatible" with existing Ipod docking units.

Should this include Ipod stereo adapters? You can be sure I'll ASK APPLE before plugging it in!

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
i have a dvd player in my car, that has a plug for headphone jacks (where you plug in your ipod) when you plug in an ipod its just a blue screen, and you ahve to scroll through your ipod to play songs. i hope the iPhone is the same way, if it wont hook up to my car ill be so pissed. but theres really not a doubt in my mind, im almost certain the iPhone will plug in just like the ipod
From the headunit's perspective with the example above, you could have a Zune plugged in and it wouldn't know the difference. You're fine. :cool:

(For the record, I don't advocate using Zunes....)

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have a Pioneer that has an Ipod adapter as well, I like the idea of seeing the menu on the radio, as well as charging the iPhone at the same time.

I don't want to "Brick" my phone either, but my understanding is that the phone is designed to be "backward compatible" with existing Ipod docking units.

Should this include Ipod stereo adapters? You can be sure I'll ASK APPLE before plugging it in!
To my understanding, there shouldn't be any difference with the dock connector pinout. I'd give it about 99% certainty. But the company you should ask is Pioneer. Apple can't vouch for another company's implementation.

Whether or not stuff will appear on the screen, I'd give it about a 50/50 chance.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
The last thing I want is "brick", more like a feather if those specs are correct, it would be nice if it worked great. When I plug my ip[od it shows alpine on the screen. I don't think the iPhone will do the same.

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Max675vd

The Clarion Max675vd Head Unit Will Actually Display Your iTunes Library On The Display. It's Amazing! You Can Watch Your Videos And Tvshows On There Too.

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
The Clarion Max675vd Head Unit Will Actually Display Your iTunes Library On The Display. It's Amazing! You Can Watch Your Videos And Tvshows On There Too.
exactly what i wanted to hear...I wanted to purchase the cable and will do so...do you have the model # of the cable by any chance...I want to make sure I don't get the wrong 1...thanks..

volcom404

May 3, 2008

i just got the max685bt today its awsome. can u syn contacts from iPhone the the headunit via bluetooth?