iPhone case reviews

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I bought that clear acrylic case at the AT&T store and it was junk and kept falling apart. I dropped my phone on the road because of this stupid contraption, or should I say "Cheap" . I barely brushed the case or phone with my arm swing during a walk across a busy street and it came apart and the thing fell to the ground, the clip was down inside my waistband of my pants.
When I bought it I wanted to open it right in the store and use it right away as we were on our way to go car shopping. So the lady at the store opened it up for me and she had trouble getting the two pieces to snap closed good and tight. I did not try it out till we got to our destination and then put it on my pants.
I noticed in the store that if you hold it wrong or squeeze the sides too much or something, it comes apart easily.

Jeff
I bought the same one and it was trash. It comes apart way too easily, I used it one day and when I took it out of my pocket the case fell apart.. that was the last I used it.

lahaina

Jul 3, 2007
I chose not to get a case because they didn't have the Speck holster I was looking for. If you do have a case post what you have and a quick review. I need something to protect this baby. Pictures and links are great too!

This is the one I am waiting for....

http://speckproducts.com/iphone-holster.html
I got a Speck Toughskin and while it protects very well, the top portion does not align correctly. For example, it does not center on the camera lens (really really bad!), the top button, or the ear speaker. It is all just a little "off" on the top portion. I am going to return it and bring my iPhone with me to test alternate products. Since these are molded silicone, I doubt I will find another one that is correct. They are very precisely made--likely a zillion with the same error.

tgsavel

Jul 3, 2007
Case-Mate!

I currently have that iSee case- with the clear plastic case (great) and belt clip (awful). I did a ton of searching...and finally ordered the combo from case-mate...

http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl/it.A/id.296/.f

and... I have my fingers crossed that it's what I am looking for - good protection for the device - with a very solid belt clip. Will share my thoughts when it arrives.

YellowZ06

Jun 28, 2007
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Here is a Holster from Case Mate for the Signature case that will allow you to insert the case in the holster with the touchscreen facing inward. This will help protect my iPhone's screen when I am on the go. It is shipping from Case Mate's website on July 10th. I will post a review when I receive it. They also have a combo package you can buy that includes the signature case and holster together.

Holster: http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl/it.A/id.295/.f

Case and Holster Combo: http://www.case-mate.com/s.nl/it.A/id.296/.f

Richard...

pepperco

Jul 1, 2007
thee twin cities
Wow that case mate looks really nice.

I have the feeling I will end up with at least 2 different cases.

For now I have tried 3, kept only 1. See below.

I kept the Griffin Elan

Nice snug fit for me, It will stay in there just fine
for riding bike. Plus it pops out really nice and quick
for plugging into the dock. Its sleek enough so I can
fit the whole package in my pocket if I like. The Belt
clip really grabs on tight ! Its hard to quickly get off
the belt without answering the phone !

I returned the incase

It was like a permanent installation on that thing,
Really REALLY tight, I had a hard time getting it out to
place the phone on the dock. It was very nice though,
I just need to be able to pop the iPhone out of its
case and regularly dock it.

The Speck Case I had was really really bad. Did not
fit, the rubber part was all puckered out, the latch was cheap
ick. Here is a good picture of it and a review.
http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/07/02/iphone-case-speck-skintight/

Last edited by a moderator:

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I got the incase molded rubber case (black). It's great! It's sleek, feels nice, and seems to protect everything except the front. For that I'm getting an Invisible Shield. I don't think there's better scratch protection out there - for iPhone or iPod.
Well I got the molded rubber from incase too and it is great! I also ordered the black side pouch from incase too and was wondering if the iPhone could fit in there with the molded rubber since it is so thin. If anyone has tried this let me know.
ps this is my first post with the phone!

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
FYI for you guys complaining about the clear Belkin acrylic case...

The reason it came apart on you is because you did not correctly snap it together. It can be tricky because there are 7 snaps on it -- 3 on each side plus 1 on top. You have to keep popping them in while holding the others in...not doing it perfect will cause another you thought was in to pop out without you knowing it. You can test a good seal by squeezing the sides of the case together. If even a single snap isn't secure, it will flex. If you have it correctly snapped together, it won't open even squeezing it really hard -- it will be rock solid firm. You'll have to pry it apart to open it. In fact, I don't like to take it off because it's tough to put on right.

It's really a great case for looks and functionality if you have the patience to get around this annoyance.

jahamus

Jun 30, 2007

hpthorn

Jul 15, 2007
Beware of magnetic closure cases

Because I cant seem to get a straight answer from Apple, or AT&T as to rather the Magnetic closure would damage the iPhone, I have choosen to wait for a case with one. Does anyone have any idea if the magnetic closure could damage the iPhone?
Not happy with anything still left at the AT&T store or the Apple store I dropped by the local mall and picked up a generic horizontal case with belt loops that fits almost perfectly. But, on the way home I took the iPhone out of the case and it said that the "iPhone is damaged and cannot make or receive calls. Please reset or restore." Powering off the phone and restarting it cleared the error, but it happened a second time the next day. This got me looking at the case and there were 2 dime sized magnets holding the top flap closed. Since I've stopped using the case the problem has not returned and the iPhone is working fine. I'm still looking for a decent case. I've found several that look interesting online, but would prefer to see the case in person or reviewed before buying it there.

frank85

Jul 9, 2007
I like the incase protective covers they are great I have them in black and red and for two different iPhones and no complaints yet

sys700

Jul 16, 2007
I actually absolutely love the "Signature Leather Case" by Case Mate. It comes with a Screen Protector free inside the box so the previous poster's argument in this regard does not apply. The belt clip is optional, and when left off the back is flush. It protects the phone well, and yes, may be hard to get out, but I rarely take it out. For me this is the perfect case, and others who have seen it have said they like it a lot too (and no, I don't own stock in the company or work for CaseMate).

I bought three cases when I bought two phones. One case is the
"Slim fit Case" from Belkin. Nice case, easy & simple to use, and was 29.99. Next is the "Hip Case" by DLO. It places the iPhone sideways and has velcro on the closure. Its a great device holder, simple, and easy to use, safe and padded as well, and it came with free downloads as typical with DLO products, was only 29.99.
Because I cant seem to get a straight answer from Apple, or AT&T as to rather the Magnetic closure would damage the iPhone, I have choosen to wait for a case with one. Does anyone have any idea if the magnetic closure could damage the iPhone?
Lastly the "Signature Leather Case" by Case Mate. You can hardly get the iPhone out of it once its in, although it is made to stay on the phone, you still like to take the phone out sometimes. Its great protection for bumps and knocks from the corners, but the screen is totally unprotected. I don't like the way the belt clip screws in to the back, as well as the 34.99 price tag. Too pricey for what it doesn't do. Protect the front screen!
The Slim Fit Case and the hip case, are keepers, the other will be returned.
Would like to find a nice easy to open case, with room for a couple of crdit cards , but doesn't hurt the screen. also when are screen protectors going to be available? Anyone know?
Thanks everyone!

iPhone-Planet

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
With the top of the Case Mate open I was worried the phone might slip out when I bend over, but as many here have come to learn, this is a tight fit! And it is so tight that some here think it is too tight and hard to get the phone out. Well, I thought the same thing and had trouble getting it out until my dumb ass realized you are to push up through the bottom and the phone comes out easily. Just push the phone bottom up from the opening on bottom and the phone slides upwards with just a little effort.

Cheers,

Jeff

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
I picked up the Belkin acrylic case at the AT&T store when I bought my iPhone. I love it. It's clear and made of sturdy plastic. It fits the iPhone quite snugly, which I was hoping for. I've had some iPod cases that were just a little too big and the iPod sort of had some "swimming" room in them. Not the case with this case. The best option is the clip. I don't plan to use the clip as a clip, because I've never been one to wear a phone on my belt. The clip is completely removable, but you won't want to chuck it ... it doubles as a little prop when swiveled and opened so that you can sit the iPhone on a desk or other flat surface to watch videos. Pretty cool. I paid $24.99 at AT&T; the Apple online store is charging $29.99.

On a side note, I also bought the Griffin PowerJolt, which is a car charger for the iPhone and iPods. It comes with a lighter plug, USB charge//sync cable and a USB-to-mini-USB cable for use with the Griffin iTrip. I don't think it was worth the $29.99 I paid at AT&T. Apple is charging $19.99 for the same thing. I don't plan on driving anywhere where a good charge before I leave isn't going to be enough. The iPhone seems to have a great battery life.

Here's a link to a review of the Belkin acrylic case:
www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/belkin-acrylic-case-for-iphone/
I got this case as well and I too do like it because I can see the nice features of the iPhone without covering it up.

iPhone4ef

Jul 9, 2007
I actually absolutely love the "Signature Leather Case" by Case Mate. It comes with a Screen Protector free inside the box so the previous poster's argument in this regard does not apply. The belt clip is optional, and when left off the back is flush. It protects the phone well, and yes, may be hard to get out, but I rarely take it out. For me this is the perfect case, and others who have seen it have said they like it a lot too (and no, I don't own stock in the company or work for CaseMate).
Another vote for the "Signature Leather Case". I picked one up last Friday and am happy with it. I did not use the included screen protector, 'cause from what I've seen the glass screen is pretty durable.

iPhonefan101

Jul 18, 2007
I am very happy with my iPhone and the signature leather case but I am upset that I cant seem to get the detachable clip off of it

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
I changed my mind about my clear belkin case and threw it away. It was scratching up my metallic bezel. No my iPhone is just free-balling it and I like it better this way.