iPhone cases and edge connection

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
I was wondering if having a case on your iPhone affects the edge connection speed because the case covers the internal antenna on the back of the phone.

Does having a case on the iPhone make a difference in the speed of the edge network?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I can only speak for the InCase (sp?) protective rubber sleeve because that's the only one I've used. I tested my iPhone with and without the sleeve after some people said not to cover the antenna with your hand. I noticed no difference at all with the case on or off.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I doubt if there's any effect, at least for non-metallic cases. In general, though, I find that EDGE is very finicky - I'll have a great connection one minute, and nothing the next, without doing anything.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I have a hard plastic / leather case and there is no difference with it on or not. However I do noticed my hand will cause an issue. I'm assuming the reason the hand cases issues is because of the amount of water in the human body messing with the signal.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I to have noticed the hand having an effect on edge. Sometimes I can lay the phone down and the page will come right up. I have also be able to move a few feet one way or the other and get better load times. Weird.