iPhone charger question

gkl8

Apr 3, 2008
Does anyone else have this problem? Yesterday I was using my co-workers older Ipod cable charger and it didn't work, but a week earlier it worked fine w/o any issue. So after work I took it to the Apple store and it worked fine on all there chargers, took it home and worked fine with my iPhone charger. Get back to work today and her cable stilll won't charge my iPhone, but it will charge her Ipod? Everyone at the Apple store said Ipod chargers should work fine...so I'm kind of lost on this one...Thoughts? Thanks

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Are you plugging this into the 120 poewr supply EVERYTIME or the computer?

gkl8

Apr 3, 2008
Are you plugging this into the 120 poewr supply EVERYTIME or the computer?
It's getting plugged into the usb port that I was using last week...nothing has changed from this week and last...that's why i cant figure it out...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Does anyone else have this problem? Yesterday I was using my co-workers older Ipod cable charger and it didn't work, but a week earlier it worked fine w/o any issue. So after work I took it to the Apple store and it worked fine on all there chargers, took it home and worked fine with my iPhone charger. Get back to work today and her cable stilll won't charge my iPhone, but it will charge her Ipod? Everyone at the Apple store said Ipod chargers should work fine...so I'm kind of lost on this one...Thoughts? Thanks
Out of the 32 pins, the iPhone charges off a different set than the iPod- from what I read here at EIC. So if it worked one week, you were lucky. I had an aftermarket iPod cable I used for a short time and I now believe it contributed to many of my battery problems with previous my iPhones.
If it's not specifically made for the iPhone, I tend to stay away, so if the only cable that is not charging your iPhone is that particular cable, then I would consider myself lucky that my phone still works.

However, a thought just occurred to me. Are you using that cable connected to a computer, or to the AC adapter? If you are using the computer, is it Win XP or a Mac, or is it Win2k? If Win2k, that could be your problem right there. I was not able to charge my iPhone off a Win2k or get it to do anything more than say new device found. Of course that might not explain why it worked initially....

gkl8

Apr 3, 2008
Out of the 32 pins, the iPhone charges off a different set than the iPod- from what I read here at EIC. So if it worked one week, you were lucky. I had an aftermarket iPod cable I used for a short time and I now believe it contributed to many of my battery problems with previous my iPhones.
If it's not specifically made for the iPhone, I tend to stay away, so if the only cable that is not charging your iPhone is that particular cable, then I would consider myself lucky that my phone still works.

However, a thought just occurred to me. Are you using that cable connected to a computer, or to the AC adapter? If you are using the computer, is it Win XP or a Mac, or is it Win2k? If Win2k, that could be your problem right there. I was not able to charge my iPhone off a Win2k or get it to do anything more than say new device found. Of course that might not explain why it worked initially....
Thanks for your help, i'm using win xp...i think you're correct...'older' cables don't seem to work while recent (within this year) have no problems....thanks again

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
oh crap
i use my stock cable and dock for the computer but i have a old ipod connector that i use with the ac adapter to charge in the wall
is that bad because it seems to work fine

not to mention my fm transmitter dock that i use in the car also charges my phone

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I used my old iPod dock for a few weeks when I lost the iPhone dock, and other than getting the 'This accessory is not made to work with iPhone' message, it worked fine.

- John