iPhone chargers are poor quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hmfc-1874, Oct 18, 2013.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Honestly I have went through dozens of them and this is just my one year old iPhone 5 on its own.
    Bought one from asda tonight £17
    But it's a coil type wire (like old phone wire) so hoping as this is thicker it will be stronger and last me longer.
    How many have you used with current iPhone ?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Mine practically last forever. What are you putting yours through?! :p

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never had an Apple cable go bad. I had a 30-pin that I used for years and it got a little frayed because I used it while charging a lot and that puts stress on the end of it, but it still worked fine.

Are you referring to official Apple cables? If so, Apple will replace them for free if they fail.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I had an Apple cable that I used since I got the iPhone 5. It lasted me up until two months ago when it started to only charge at certain angles, holding the iPhone in certain spots. So of course I stopped using that one and got a new cable.

Sent using iCafe app

5. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Nothing haha, I always have it on me in pocket.
    I have no clue, the cable jacket comes off then the wires are not protected and stops working.
    Rage :p

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I sure hope that they are Apple made. I made the mistake of buying mine off of eBay for cheap, and not fully reading the description. One of them the cable jacket came off, showing the wires.

Sent using iCafe app

7. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah but currently there is not a store yet where I live, would have to train it through to Glasgow haha.
    But thanks when the Apple shop opens here then I will do that as I never knew.

Sent using iCafe app

8. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah I has 4 offical ones all same thing happens :/

Sent using iCafe app

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That is very strange. I've only had one issue with an Apple made cable. But nothing as bad as the connector coming off.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd start looking at how you are carrying/handling them. It's not normal for them to fail like this and certainly not that fast. You are exceeding their stress limits.

11. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Only thing I don't like is that the casing is designed to fade to an off white.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

These are my original 3GS cables... Guess it's all in how you take care of them & how you unplug / plug them :D
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1382216230.460214.jpg

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've found that the key is to not use them in a way that it puts stress on the portion of the cable that connects to the Lightning or 30-pin when it's charging. You can use it while charging, but it will eventually begin to fray if that is bent a lot. But yeah, I have a cable that I've used since 2009 and it still looks new.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Although mine right now are not Apple made, I think this plays a part in mine as well. The part of the cable that holds the square part and connector is being bent, thereforee causing it not to stay in charge.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I've never had a cable go bad until recently. My cord I had that came with my iPhone 5 stopped working. It wasn't damaged or split anywhere it just wouldn't charge unless I taped it. I feel like the older 30 pin ones had more space to grab and actually the older ones had little tabs to push in before pulling out of the device. The new lightning cables have very little to grab. With my big dumb hands it's easier to just pull the cord out of the phone from about 3" down. I feel like maybe that's why my 5 cord broke? Either way Apple replaced it..

Sent using iCafe app

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm late on this thread, but I wore the heck out of my iPhone 4 cable. It started to fray and I taped it with electrical tape. Then the fray continued down and I added more tape. The fraying continued until 3/4 of the cable was taped. Then I upgraded to the 5. The 5 cable seems better made. I do use my phone a lot while plugged in charging. Is there a 12 step program for Smartphonaholics?

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you live near an Apple Store? For future reference, they will swap them out with a new cable for free.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Thanks! I didn't know that. So far the 5 cable is holding up well.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

19. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

It seems like it all comes down to two things:

First, you get what you pay for. If you buy for cheap you get a cheaply made product that will either not work as expected or will fail quickly.

Secondly, how you treat the cables. Continually pulling on the cable to unseat the connector will cause the cable to fail at the juncture between cable and connector in a short time.

However, I have to agree with Muckcityjustin, people with big fingers have a much harder time removing the connector since there is not much to grab onto besides the cord, especially if you have a bulky case on the phone like an Otterbox. The Lightening connector is somewhat better in this regard vs. the older 30 pin connector but making the hard plastic shell 50% longer, on the lightning connector end, would go a long way toward making it easier to remove the connector from the phone and would surely reduce the number of cable failures for a very small cost.

20. MattR

MattR Guest

I must say the predominant issue for me is bending and deformation of the cable right where the plastic shielding ends on the iPhone side.

Despite the fact that Apple lengthened the thicker plastic part with their Lightning chargers, I just find it now bends and deforms as soon as the thick insulation ends...