iPhone charging

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
My questions: How long should you charge your iPhone 3G for to fully charge it and how long should you let it run down before doing so?

Did a bit of searching and didn't find a responsible enough of information to answer my questions and Apple neither provided a heavy source to get the questions off my back.

Hope you can help! :laugh2:

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
My questions: How long should you charge your iPhone 3G for to fully charge it and how long should you let it run down before doing so?

Did a bit of searching and didn't find a responsible enough of information to answer my questions and Apple neither provided a heavy source to get the questions off my back.

Hope you can help! :laugh2:
I always un-plug my iPhone when charging is finish (you can see the little icon in the right top corner...), and I charge the iPhone again when it warns me on low battery. Twice at month I let the iPhone go total "dead", and that's because it make the battery stronger in the long term.. ;)

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
From this website:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Standard Charging
Most lithium-ion polymer batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That’s about two hours of charge time to power an iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge it, if you are not using the iPod while charging. You can charge all lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.

The iPhone will not over charge. While you can over charge a lithium battery, the iPhone (and iPod) is designed to stop charging when full. You can leave it plugged in as long as you want and you can use the device while on external power.

You will know that it is full as the icon changes from a lightning bolt (while charging) to a plug (when done charging and simply working on external power).

You can charge your phone as you need to or as you see fit. The battery will have a "life" of about 400 complete charge cycles. Meaning it can charge 400 times from empty and still maintain 100% of its life. So, if you run your battery down to zero every day and charge it back up over night after 400 days of doing this your battery will drop to about 80 percent of its charging capacity and decrease from there over time. If you did the same thing but only used 50% of the battery everyday that you did this and charge it back up over night then you could do this for 800 days as you would only be using one half of one charging cycle each day.

Apple does recommend that once per month you charge your phone to 100%, discharge it to 0% and the fully charge it back up.

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you for the great response. I ran across this article while on the Apple website but didn't see the connection.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Plug it in when I go to bed.

Un-plug it when I get out of bed.

Repeat.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The iPhone will not over charge. While you can over charge a lithium battery, the iPhone (and iPod) is designed to stop charging when full. You can leave it plugged in as long as you want and you can use the device while on external power.

You will know that it is full as the icon changes from a lightning bolt (while charging) to a plug (when done charging and simply working on external power).

You can charge your phone as you need to or as you see fit. The battery will have a "life" of about 400 complete charge cycles. Meaning it can charge 400 times from empty and still maintain 100% of its life. So, if you run your battery down to zero every day and charge it back up over night after 400 days of doing this your battery will drop to about 80 percent of its charging capacity and decrease from there over time. If you did the same thing but only used 50% of the battery everyday that you did this and charge it back up over night then you could do this for 800 days as you would only be using one half of one charging cycle each day.

Apple does recommend that once per month you charge your phone to 100%, discharge it to 0% and the fully charge it back up.
All spot-on. I would add that leaving a fully-discharged iPhone in that state for a long time before charging it up again could be detrimental to the battery. The iPhone battery likes to be charged to maintain its performance, so try not to let it go too long between sips.

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I have to charge throughout the day when I use it a lot and I get the battery notice.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
Charge the battery baby

Last edited by a moderator:

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
What about when you first get it? Any specific there?

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
What about when you first get it? Any specific there?
I didn't do anything special to mine when I got it. I picked it up from Best Buy and it was pretty well charged. I needed to plug it in and sync it up to my iTunes. I had about 14.5 gig of data to sync and transfer over so when it was done it was showing the plug icon and it was fully charged. I've used it for nearly a month and just did my first full charge/discharge/recharge cycle this past weekend.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Here's some results from my Complicated Charging Strategy:

Notice the time.

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Does anyone charge when they get the Low Battery message?

I have to charge more than once in a day at times if I get a low battery.

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
Does anyone charge when they get the Low Battery message?

I have to charge more than once in a day at times if I get a low battery.
Thats understandable if you are a power user

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
I try to make the most of my use. ;)