iPhone commercials are officially annoying now

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Having had an iPhone since week 28, I've become familiar with what daily use is really like on the iPhone, and how it performs in the real-world.

Now when I see an iPhone commercial all I see is one best case scenario after another. The most annoying to me are the following:

• Web pages are already cached and do not have any load time.
  • Wifi is always available, even on top of a ski mountain.
  • Google Maps appear instantly

My webpages never cache the way they do in iPhone commercials. I need to physically load each page first into its own window and not shut my safari down for longer than a few minutes for them to NOT have to reload again the next time I launch safari. When I do launch safari, I don't see 4 pictures of websites I've been viewing, I see 4 white boxes and need to reload each page again.

I only ever have wifi available at one place in my location, and thats at home. Everyone in my office building has their routers locked, and our network is all LAN, so I'm borked there. The malls all charge for Wifi, as does the Mcdonalds around the corner.

Wifi or not, my Google Maps tiles in when launched. Also just the same way as safari has to reload the page if I've been out of the app for to long, the same applies to maps with having to reload the tiles.

So for the sake of the commercial, I'd have to first load everything up, then use it like the commercial does before the content expires. That to me is a bit much to ask in order to experience the phone as it's being sold.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Well see the pages loaded on my preview but I do have to load them as I click them.

I have WiFi every place I go and have it set up as well. I went into a hotel with locked WiFi and asked for the WAN key and the Assistant Manager handed it over like the keys he gave me.

Maps - never use them.

I have no problem with the commercials, since not every commercial we see on the TV is 100& truthful. Look at ALL fast food commercials. They amke it look so good, with magically no grease, but when you buy it - it's disguisting.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
my bigest problem with these commercials is that every time one comes on tv and im around my friends all go.... " yours cant go that fast!''...because they have all played on it. so i just open up iguitar or piano and ask them to do the same with there phones. lol

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Dare I say the words.. "false advertising"... Wonder how long until someone decides to sue Apple.

It is a bit annoying. Seriously, I've never seen a cached page come up that quickly.

Lava

Bronze
Feb 25, 2008
I agree with you totally, but what do you expect them to do. Show that it takes quite awhile to load a webpage? Or that GMaps isn't instant like they show it in the commercial? They sure as hell wouldn't sell as many iPhones if they did that.

What they should do instead, is make the iPhone that good, as good as they show it in the commercial, then i'd be happy!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
what annoys me about the iPhone commercials is they make it out like it's the first phone to ever have the internet or music on it. I'm an iPhone lover, but come on, there have been phones for years that does everything the iPhone does.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Dare I say the words.. "false advertising"... Wonder how long until someone decides to sue Apple.

It is a bit annoying. Seriously, I've never seen a cached page come up that quickly.
It's not really false advertising. They aren't saying "The iPhone loads pages like this!". They are just showing you an example of something running on the iPhone - not that exact feature. They aren't going to make a commercial with the ages loading up etc to waste time. Even Apple has to run on a budget.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I agree with you totally, but what do you expect them to do. Show that it takes quite awhile to load a webpage? Or that GMaps isn't instant like they show it in the commercial? They sure as hell wouldn't sell as many iPhones if they did that.

What they should do instead, is make the iPhone that good, as good as they show it in the commercial, then i'd be happy!
I'd vote for that last sentence too :)

I'd also agree that the ads are annoying by now, and probably in need of a refresh.

On the false advertising side of it though, they're probably no worse than most other ads in various categories. I'm still not beating any women off me, despite using Axe deodorant, I'm pretty sure a few of those older gents throwing footballs through hanging tires aren't doing quite as well as their ads would have us believe, and any of the Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile ads that imply they are not all useless, cartel-like bar stewards is really some false advertising :laugh2:

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

If memory serves, a woman already attempted to sue for these reasons shortly after iWeek.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Well see the pages loaded on my preview but I do have to load them as I click them.

I have WiFi every place I go and have it set up as well. I went into a hotel with locked WiFi and asked for the WAN key and the Assistant Manager handed it over like the keys he gave me.

Maps - never use them.

I have no problem with the commercials, since not every commercial we see on the TV is 100& truthful. Look at ALL fast food commercials. They amke it look so good, with magically no grease, but when you buy it - it's disguisting.
I agree with you that in advertising you only want to focus on the "good" and you wouldn't be in businesss long if you also mentioned the "bad."

That said, its not so much the fact that these are indeed best case scenarios, its just that its a one-two-three punch with these best case scenarios. Not to mention Safari doesn't just have one page cached, but typically 1 to 2 more pages on top of that in the ads.

I think the image Apple is portraying of the iPhone is just misleading in that sense, particularly because a large part of Apple's offering is the first impression and "wow factor" of its interfaces and applications. These "best case scenarios" one after another, in my opinion, lend heavily to their "wow factor." If Apple weren't the company it is when it comes to "wow factor" I'd let it slide, but without that facet they just wouldn't be the company they are.

This may be Apple's best financial times in recent history, but don't forget the machine thats been behind that consumerism, their Marketing. :p

I agree. Not reality for sure.

I see you re-amped your old account :)
Yeah, I finally came up with a neat way to ring in my 1k post mark. I put a thread up on the Mods section for the occasion :)

my bigest problem with these commercials is that every time one comes on tv and im around my friends all go.... " yours cant go that fast!''...because they have all played on it. so i just open up iguitar or piano and ask them to do the same with there phones. lol
I'm lucky in that people tend to know that I've always had "delicate" electronic gadgets in the past. Now when they see the iPhone, they assume its just as fragile and don't really handle it for to long because they're worried about dropping it. I don't wanna burst their bubble and tell them this things a beast, or else I won't get my iPhone back as quickly. :)

Its interesting you bring this up, because thats exactly what lead me to pay more attention to the commercials. One of the biggest points Apple drives home in the Ads are at the end with the "oh yeah, did we forget to mention its ALSO a phone!?"

Anyway in the process of trying to see if there was a Wifi icon up in the status bar or not (there was) I ended up finding these other gripes too, lol. I wanted to make sure there was a Wifi icon because that would have really killed me if it was on EDGE the whole time, heh. :sick:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My pages load in about 4 seconds on wifi - which I may describe as "instantly". But the commercials load in fractions of a second. One just came on as I'm typing this. :eek:
There's wifi, and then there's wifi.4 seconds isn't bad. It's less than 2 seconds with T3. I wish it was like that everywhere.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Having had an iPhone since week 28, I've become familiar with what daily use is really like on the iPhone, and how it performs in the real-world.

Now when I see an iPhone commercial all I see is one best case scenario after another. The most annoying to me are the following:

My webpages never cache the way they do in iPhone commercials. I need to physically load each page first into its own window and not shut my safari down for longer than a few minutes for them to NOT have to reload again the next time I launch safari. When I do launch safari, I don't see 4 pictures of websites I've been viewing, I see 4 white boxes and need to reload each page again.

I only ever have wifi available at one place in my location, and thats at home. Everyone in my office building has their routers locked, and our network is all LAN, so I'm borked there. The malls all charge for Wifi, as does the Mcdonalds around the corner.

Wifi or not, my Google Maps tiles in when launched. Also just the same way as safari has to reload the page if I've been out of the app for to long, the same applies to maps with having to reload the tiles.

So for the sake of the commercial, I'd have to first load everything up, then use it like the commercial does before the content expires. That to me is a bit much to ask in order to experience the phone as it's being sold.
Man, I was just thinking all this earlier. The commercials make wi-fi seem like it's everywhere and fast as lightning. God, I wish my stuff loaded that fast with my wi-fi!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

that's why its time for some more creative commercials...i got a couple in mind...i just need the production team to put it together and its on!