iPhone Completely Dead. Won't charge or do anything.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bailey K, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Bailey K

Bailey K New Member

Last night before bed I plugged my phone in to charge and I got the "charging is not supported with this accessory" screen. I fiddled with it and it eventually worked. When I woke up it was fully charged. On the drive back home (I was on vacation) it did fine and when I got home it was to about 7%. When I went to plug my phone in I got the "charging is not supported with this accessory" screen with my regular charger as well as a dock and another non-Apple brand charger. Needless to say, my phone died.

I got the screen with the lightning bolt and was even able to get my phone back on (thanks to a thread on here that suggested I plug it into my computer and reboot the computer). However, it wouldn't charge past 5% (I believe there is a short in my cord) Now I have a complete black screen with no lightning bolt or even a red battery. I've held down the home and lock button for 5 minutes and nothing has happened. When I plug my phone into the wall or computer, nothing happens. The cords work on other iPhones, just not mine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My phone is out of warranty and I really don't want to visit the "geniuses"

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Did you held down home and lock button while on charger?
    Geniuses still can get a diagnostic for you.

3. Bailey K

Bailey K New Member

Yes I've tried that. I think at this point it's just a hopeless situation :(

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am not the expert but there are a few people here who can help
    If the Apple store is not to far have them do the diagnostic so you know what is wrong.
    I had a close call like this and I kept trying and on the way to the Genius bar it came back on and worked ever since fine.

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds like the dock connector has been worn out or damaged somehow. Not that it matters at this point, but did the cable you use come from Apple, or did you get one of those cheap ones like they sell for $1 or $2 on Amazon or eBay?

Unless the Apple store is far out of your way, it's still worth a shot to have the Genius Bar look at it. If they're in a good mood, they may replace the phone despite it being out of warranty, depending on the overall condition of your phone, how long it's been out of warranty, alignment of the planets, etc.

6. Bailey K

Bailey K New Member

I took my phone into a local phone repair shop and they took one look with their flashlight and said water damage. They would completely disassemble my phone and figure out the problem. I decided not to leave it in hopes I could find a solution. If it's not working by tomorrow I'll definitely take it in.
    So I think that even if I were to make the 2 hour drive to Apple I'd get the same response and it would cost a whole lot more.

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Ah, yep. That would do it. There is little hope for recovering from water damage after the fact, though. Once it has done its thing, you'd most likely need to replace the circuit board itself. At best, they might be able to clean off the corrosion to let it charge again, but there's no telling what else will go wrong with it.