iPhone/Computer Speaker Distortion

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
I come on these forums pretty regularly but I have yet to see anyone post about the iPhone causing distortion in computer speakers. Ever since I have had the iPhone, it has made my computer speakers buzz from time to time when it happens to be very close to them. Usually when its sitting in the dock, which is why I charge it with the power adapter. One thing I have noticed is they buzz right before I get a call or a text message. Its been doing this for awhile, so obviously its not harming the iPhone, but it can be annoying. My speakers are made by Creative and I bought them in 2003. Anyone else have this problem?

lgreenberg

Jul 21, 2007
It's happened to me with every GSM phone I've owned. Whenever the phone is sending/receiving some sort of data and it's near the speakers it causes the crackling noise.

It's something to do with GSM phones because CDMA based phones don't seem to have this problem.

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
Hmmm.. Well I never had the Blackberry Pearl do that to me. That was when I had T-Mobile... Could it be the way AT&T's network operates?

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Yes, I had T-Mobile before and never had this either.

However, my studio monitors go CRAZY when the iPhone is sending/receiving data.

It is because AT&T uses the 800mhz band. T-Mobile uses the 1900mhz band. For some reason, 800mhz makes speakers, CRT monitors, and other electronic devices go crazy. The one advantage to the 800mhz band, however, is that in theory, you will get better reception with it because a longer wavelength has an easier time passing through solid objects (like walls). This is the reason you can hear nothing but bass if you're a few walls between loud music.