iPhone :: Contacts backup

Sesha

Dec 17, 2008
Hi,
Currently my iPhone is set up to sync with my company's exchange server. So my contacts setting is set to "sync over the air". Now I have left the company and want to delete the mail account from iPhone. But when I do that I lose all my contacts. So I had to restore my iPhone back. Now the mail account alst got added back. I want to decouple the mail account from the contacts list. Is there any way I can delete the mail account without losing my contacts? Please advice.
Thanks,
-Sesha

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Hi,
Currently my iPhone is set up to sync with my company's exchange server. So my contacts setting is set to "sync over the air". Now I have left the company and want to delete the mail account from iPhone. But when I do that I lose all my contacts. So I had to restore my iPhone back. Now the mail account alst got added back. I want to decouple the mail account from the contacts list. Is there any way I can delete the mail account without losing my contacts? Please advice.
Thanks,
-Sesha
Can't you export them to your desk top, delete the account from you iPhone and import them into your contacts?

Sesha

Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
Can you please help me with how I can export the contacts to my desktop?
Thanks in advance,
-Sesha

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
If you use Outlook Express, Windows Contacts or Yahoo contacts you can back up your contacts to one of those via iPhone sync in iTunes. You can then erase the unwanted email account. Then erase the current iPhone back up in iTunes then create another iPhone back up without the email settings you want to get rid of. Otherwise you will continue to reload the old email account onto your phone. After the fresh back up you can then retrive your contacts from where you backed them up...Mark

Sesha

Dec 17, 2008
Swagger,
When I go to iTunes under the "Info tab-->Contacts" I do not see the option to sync it with Windows contacts or Outlook unless I change the settings on my iPhone such that the contacts do not get synced with the current email account that I have set up. As I said in my original post, the Info tab shows "Your contacts are synced over-the-air with your exchange server account". It does not let me change this setting through iTunes. And if change this setting through the iPhone, the contacts immediately disappear since they are no longer getting synced with the email account.
Thanks,
-Sesha

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Initially, the only suggestion I can think of for you is to request a PST file of your contacts from the company burned to a disk, or ask them to export your contacts as a CSV file, and then import them locally to your home PC in Outlook. Then Wipe the active account from the phone and tell iTunes to sync to the local Outlook address book.

Or a possibly simpler method would be to turn push off, and see if you can force your contacts to Outlook through iTunes..... Not sure it that will work though.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Swagger,
When I go to iTunes under the "Info tab-->Contacts" I do not see the option to sync it with Windows contacts or Outlook unless I change the settings on my iPhone such that the contacts do not get synced with the current email account that I have set up. As I said in my original post, the Info tab shows "Your contacts are synced over-the-air with your exchange server account". It does not let me change this setting through iTunes. And if change this setting through the iPhone, the contacts immediately disappear since they are no longer getting synced with the email account.
Thanks,
-Sesha
Do you have your contacts stored on any of the places I suggested? Also a work around is to sign up for a free 60 day trial of MobileMe (on Apples website). Activate MobileMe on your iPhone have it sync all your contacts then erase the iPhone backup then you do a fresh back up then reload all your info..Mark

Sesha

Dec 17, 2008
I had my contacts in Outlook but on my office laptop. I cannot access it anymore and cannot get a pst or backup file of that sent to me now.

Also, I have already used that 60 day trial of MobileMe :(

I think I will have to manually enter each contact into Windows Contacts...

Thanks,
-Sesha

Sesha

Dec 17, 2008
Awesome! Problem solved...thanks very much "@canilock" for your pointer to use the iPhone PC Suite. It is a great software. Thanks to whoever created it! :)

Last edited by a moderator: