iPhone contacts categorized

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ACiDKOR

Oct 8, 2007
I accidentally pressed something on the phone and now all my contacts are in alphabetical order. Is there any way to revert back to the old way it looked where all the numbers were grouped together.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I accidentally pressed something on the phone and now all my contacts are in alphabetical order. Is there any way to revert back to the old way it looked where all the numbers were grouped together.
The only two options on my phone for sorting is alphabetical by First name or alphabetical by last name. These are set in the Settings, Contacts.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
The only two options on my phone for sorting is alphabetical by First name or alphabetical by last name. These are set in the Settings, Contacts.
I think that the Mas OS users and Windows OS users may be seeing differing functions. I have heard of others seeing a Group button for sorting.

Alas, for me (I am on Windows XP) I have no such functionality and see what Griffinaz also is seeing.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If you put your contacts in different folders on your pc/mac (family/work/friends/etc) then when you sync these folders become groups on the iPhone and you will see the groups button.

If all the contact on your computer are in one folder then you will not have any groups.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
If you put your contacts in different folders on your pc/mac (family/work/friends/etc) then when you sync these folders become groups on the iPhone and you will see the groups button.

If all the contact on your computer are in one folder then you will not have any groups.
I don't think work with Windows PC and Outlook. Unlike the Mac Outlook doesn't use IMAP. I already haev contacts in Oulook flagged as groups. I don't believe I can place my contacts in separate folders like IMAP.

+1 Mac Users
+0 Windows Users

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I don't think work with Windows PC and Outlook. Unlike the Mac Outlook doesn't use IMAP. I already haev contacts in Oulook flagged as groups. I don't believe I can place my contacts in separate folders like IMAP.

+1 Mac Users
+0 Windows Users
Export from Outlook
Import to Yahoo Contacts
Make folders
Sync with iPhone with Yahoo

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Export from Outlook
Import to Yahoo Contacts
Make folders
Sync with iPhone with Yahoo
I for one don't need grouped contacts badly enough to do that. :p

But seriously, the iPhone needs to support Outlook categories--like most every other phone (that syncs with Outlook) does.

'Course I wouldn't care much if there was some way to actually search for a contact when making a call. I don't know why a simple type-in box isn't used. This is available when sending email or SMS messages. But not for phone calls--on a device called iPhone. Very odd to me...

--
Mike

ACiDKOR

Oct 8, 2007
You misunderstood my dilemma. They are grouped under letters, and under every letter is the name, which is extremely annoying.