iPhone contacts question

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Is there a way to put a bookmark for "contacts" on the homepage rather than having to go to phone first?

Thanks!

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
sort of. there are programs out there that gives you a short cut for contacts but a much better program is called sprindial, no sure what source its under, but by far the best programme i have installed yet. it creates shortcuts for your favourite people with photo as a icon on your springboard, click and dial straight away!

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not up on all this stuff...what is the "modmyifone source"? Thanks

turbo41

Mar 5, 2008
There should be an app on the installer called poof. Install it then run it and click on the hidden button at the top of the screen. There should be a hidden app for contacts. move it over to the unhidden side and you'll have a icon on your home page to go to your contacts.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not up on all this stuff...what is the "modmyifone source"? Thanks
Sources are - as the name implies - sources or repositories for iPhone apps. Some are considered more highly trusted and are part of the default Community Sources pool that you should have installed already. ModMyiFone is included within Community Sources.

Springdial should also be there for you to install with just the default Community Sources.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
or just set your home button on your iPhone for the double click feature to open your contacts

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Ugh...I am so behind with this...I do not have Community sources installed. Where do I find it? Is it safe for the iPhone?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ugh...I am so behind with this...I do not have Community sources installed. Where do I find it? Is it safe for the iPhone?
Just look under the Sources category in Installer, if you have not installed it yet, it will appear there.

Safe is a pretty relative term when you're modding the iPhone, but generally speaking Yes, these are considered amongst the most tried and trusted sources ...

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just look under the Sources category in Installer, if you have not installed it yet, it will appear there.

Safe is a pretty relative term when you're modding the iPhone, but generally speaking Yes, these are considered amongst the most tried and trusted sources ...
And sorry for yet another "silly" question, but where do I find "Installer"?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
And sorry for yet another "silly" question, but where do I find "Installer"?
Jailbroken means you have used one of the various methods available to 'jailbreak' your iPhone, which is the process of opening it up for access to its full file system, which enables you to install 3rd party applications on the iPhone.

You would most likely know if you had been through this process, and if you have (through most of the most common methods) you should see an icon for Installer on your home screen.

And if you're not jailbroken, then there is not a way that I know of to get a Contacts shortcut on the desktop ...

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
bbut you can set your home button to double click to go straight to contacts!

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for your replies!

No, my iPhone not jailbroken. You can tell by my questions that I am not particularly tech savvy and I am basically a big chicken when it comes to making changes that could render my iPhone inoperable (this probably comes from being one of the people who paid full price on day one against the advice of just about everyone who said to wait for the price to drop...but that is another can of worms)

However...I do think I can set the home button double click feature for my contacts :)

Thanks again!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
In the current 2.0 beta the contacts icon is on the home screen by default (it's always been there just hidden). Apple will probably keep that so you'll have the functionality you are looking for in June if you don't want to JB your phone.

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks termleech...since I am not going to JB my phone, that sounds like the right approach for me.:)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Thanks termleech...since I am not going to JB my phone, that sounds like the right approach for me.:)
No problem. I've been trying to comment on the new firmware as much as I've been able to for people who are interesting.