iPhone Cracks...black edition

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
yeah, i haven't had much luck with the iPhones. I am on my 2nd 16GB model. Now this one has cracks (fractures) along the volume control switch. I would assume that i wouldn't need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar...

Anyone else having cracks on their black version iPhone?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This has been a problem with the 3G phone. Don't believe it is wide spread, but several people here on the forum have had to get a replacement for this same thing. I would make an appointment just to be on the safe side unless you aren't too far from a store.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
You're just having bad luck. This was a problem earlier and is supposedly fixed. It will be replaced for you no problem. You just have to go through the whole "appointment" bullshit if you didn't get it directly from AT&T, (or apparently BestBuy and now WalMart).

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
yeah, i was supposed to go and order my new Mac today and was going to stop in and get the replacement charger and get the phone checked. I could wait until next week when i get my Mac, but i will probably stop by today as i am going to driving past it. I have never had good luck with phones. I haven't dropped this one, however.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
You're just having bad luck. This was a problem earlier and is supposedly fixed. It will be replaced for you no problem. You just have to go through the whole "appointment" bullshit if you didn't get it directly from AT&T, (or apparently BestBuy and now WalMart).
I've noticed a crack between the headset socket and the bezel on top of the phone. It's not just a hairline crack, the plastic is actually split. This makes me think the plastic in that area is too thin because I haven't done anything to stress it that I know of. Where did you see that these cracks were supposedly fixed?

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Cracks were more of a problem earlier in the 3G's life, my local Genius said that they had resolved the problem. This is an easy exchange, they will look at it and immediately give you another.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
yeah i haven't had a chance to get down there yet. I may wait a bit, as there are rumours that the imac will be updated (not aesthetically) with a new graphics card and possibly quad core...anyways, yes it is not just a fracture.

E_Dub

Bronze
May 23, 2008
8 Gig Crack

I bought a new phone this past Friday. Realized Saturday there was a crack on the left side near the bottom. I took it back to the AT&T store. I was given a number to call Apple. I was told there wasn't anything they could do about. Call Apple, they wanted to charge me a $29.00 non refundable fee and a block on my credit card for a replacement phone. Now I'm waiting on the postage paid shipping material arrive.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
I bought a new phone this past Friday. Realized Saturday there was a crack on the left side near the bottom. I took it back to the AT&T store. I was given a number to call Apple. I was told there wasn't anything they could do about. Call Apple, they wanted to charge me a $29.00 non refundable fee and a block on my credit card for a replacement phone. Now I'm waiting on the postage paid shipping material arrive.
First time I hear of this. It's always better to go and deal with it in person than over the phone cause most people just get on the pot replacements.

E_Dub

Bronze
May 23, 2008
First time I hear of this. It's always better to go and deal with it in person than over the phone cause most people just get on the pot replacements.
I took it back to the Att&t store. I live about 200 miles from the nearest Apple store. After looking at it for 20 minutes at all sorts of angles and wiping it clean of finger prints. I assume he was checking to see if I had dropped it. He finally told me that they were not allowed to handle this problem. Only and Apple store could do it. I had never heard of the black phone cracking myself. Apple support wanted to know the make and model of the case I was using as well.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
that sucks man that there is no Apple store near you. I guess i take for granted that i live near one. With as many probs as i have had with my iPhones (one kept freezing up and now this one cracking), i would get so pissed if i had to wait for it to get taken care of through the mail. So you are going to be without a phone?

E_Dub

Bronze
May 23, 2008
that sucks man that there is no Apple store near you. I guess i take for granted that i live near one. With as many probs as i have had with my iPhones (one kept freezing up and now this one cracking), i would get so pissed if i had to wait for it to get taken care of through the mail. So you are going to be without a phone?
Yes I will be without a phone. My buddy has a old AT&T phone he isn't using. Do you know if I can put my SIM in there and us it until my phone returns?

Marcos

Bronze
Dec 19, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
just checked my phone and sure enough two small cracks by the camera

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yes I will be without a phone. My buddy has a old AT&T phone he isn't using. Do you know if I can put my SIM in there and us it until my phone returns?
Yes, you'll be able to.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
i will goto Apple later this A.M. I really wish Apple kept the back of the iPhone aluminum, but in black:)

E_Dub

Bronze
May 23, 2008
My empty packaged arrived today via FedEx. I will be sending my phone off tonight.

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had a picture of what the cracks look like?

E_Dub

Bronze
May 23, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had a picture of what the cracks look like?
This is exactly what the crack looks like on my phone, except its on the left side near the bottom. Hope this help.