iPhone crashed! Big time!

undead

Jul 17, 2008
I 've bought an iPhone 8GB supposely unlocked. The thing is that it wasn't. I've tried unlocking it with ZiPhone and it crashed! It kept booting in recovery mode only. I then tried restoring it with iTunes. iTunes found the iPhone as iPhone 2.0 (weird - it's not supposed to be the 3g model).
It failed to restore it just at the point where the firmware was downloaded giving an error messege that the file was not correctly downloaded.
I then tried restoring it to normal mode with ZiPhone.
Since then the iPhone keeps rebooting all the time in recovey mode (it reboots every about 1 min or so).
My pc cannot recognize it. It gives a messege that the usb device has mulfanctioned and i really am out of ideas. I 've tried plugging in another iPhone in recovery mode and it can recognize that one ok. I've tried plugging my iPhone on another pc and i get the same messege: that the device has mulfanctioned!
I am truly out of ideas and i really need help on this one!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Assuming that your phone is still at 1.1.4 firmware:

1. Download firmware 1.1.4 manually from here.
2. Put your phone in DFU mode: see instructions here
3. Plug your phone into your computer and launch iTunes.
4. If on a PC, hold down shift+restore. Select the 1.1.4 firmware you downloaded. (If on a Mac, hold down option+restore).
5. After you've successfuly restored back to 1.1.4, use ziPhone (I actually recommend ziPhone 2.5c, if you can find it...it's more stable in my opinion) to unlock and jailbreak your phone.

If you have any trouble, feel free to PM with your AIM screen name. Note: if your phone is at 2.0 firmware, downgrading to 1.1.4 is still possible...it just may be a bit trickier. For that, follow iClarified's instructions.

undead

Jul 17, 2008
Assuming that your phone is still at 1.1.4 firmware:

1. Download firmware 1.1.4 manually from here.
2. Put your phone in DFU mode: see instructions here
3. Plug your phone into your computer and launch iTunes.
4. If on a PC, hold down shift+restore. Select the 1.1.4 firmware you downloaded. (If on a Mac, hold down option+restore).
5. After you've successfuly restored back to 1.1.4, use ziPhone (I actually recommend ziPhone 2.5c, if you can find it...it's more stable in my opinion) to unlock and jailbreak your phone.

If you have any trouble, feel free to PM with your AIM screen name. Note: if your phone is at 2.0 firmware, downgrading to 1.1.4 is still possible...it just may be a bit trickier. For that, follow iClarified's instructions.
i've tried this but it doesn't work. iTunes cannot "see" the iPhone. when i plug the iPhone in i get a messege that the usb device has multifunctioned
in device manager i get this

keep in mind that the iPhone always boots in something that appears to be recovery mode and that it only displays the Apple logo for 2 secs

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
i've tried this but it doesn't work. iTunes cannot "see" the iPhone. when i plug the iPhone in i get a messege that the usb device has multifunctioned
It sounds like you're not getting the phone into DFU mode properly. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

Hold down the home and sleep/wake button until the phone turns off. Keep holding both buttons down... once the phone restarts and you see the Apple logo, release the sleep/wake button, but continue to hold down the home button until you see the "connect to iTunes" screen.

Good luck.

undead

Jul 17, 2008
It sounds like you're not getting the phone into DFU mode properly. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

Hold down the home and sleep/wake button until the phone turns off. Keep holding both buttons down... once the phone restarts and you see the Apple logo, release the sleep/wake button, but continue to hold down the home button until you see the "connect to iTunes" screen.

Good luck.
that's the screen on the phone

that's the screen i'm getting even without the iPhone being plugged in

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
So when you get the "connect to iTunes" image on your phone, it only appears for 2 seconds and then goes away?

Can you try plugging the iPhone into another USB port, or if possible, another computer?

bobby337

Jul 7, 2007
try uninstall the iboot driver and iTunes then reinstall iTunes.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
that's the screen on the phone

that's the screen i'm getting even without the iPhone being plugged in
Your phone crashed big time because you were trying to unlock software 2.0, which cant be unlocked with the ZiPhone software you used.

You can tell its 2.0 because of the USB plug in the picture. With 2.0 its the end of the USB cord that goes into the computer. With 1.1.4, its the end of the USB cord that plugs into your phone.