iPhone crisis! Kindly please help!

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
The following is my iPhone story:
I bought an unlocked 16GB iPhone from eBay at version 1.1.4. Placed my SIM, and worked just fine for one week. All features were functional. I have installed only a tetris and a chess game, nothing else, no other changes.
Suddenly the phone started to behave strange, loose the carrier signal, or the WiFi, and the next day to reboot by itself until one point when it showed on the the screen the plug and iTunes. iTunes detected the iPhone in recovery mode and I had the option to “restore & update”. Each time after trying to proceed with the recovery, the message was “An unknown error occurred (1011)”
I did some reading and downloaded the ZiPhone, v3.
- I could put the phone in restore mode and try the iTunes recovery and got the same error: “An unknown error occurred (1011)”.
- Then I placed it in DFU mode and then used the iTunes and got the same error: “An unknown error occurred (1011)”.
- Then I followed, exactly the troubleshooting procedure docs found in ZiPhone folder and each time I got the same error with iTunes.
- I have installed iTunes on a different computer and an older version: 7.4.x. I have tried the same procedures as above and the same error. That convinced me that it is the iPhone, not the software installed on my computer.
- I launched again ZiPhone, set it to start in normal mode. At that point on the iPhone I got the display with the key pad and in different langauges: “For emergency calls only”.
- In ZiPhone, I have clicked on “Do it all”, to unlock, jailbreak and to activate. On the iPhone showed a scrolling text and the “Z” name. It froze like that for more than 15 minutes and as per ZiPhone suggestion, close and restart and do it again.
*** The big problem now is the iPhone is not recognized by the ZiPhone or iTunes. When I turn it ON, it displays a scrolling text and then “Invalid calibration data” and then the line “BSD root: md0, major2, minor0” it keeps repeating itself. When I unplug it or plug it back it, some text detects that was plugged or unplugged but then this line with BSD keeps repeating itself.
I am mad, screwed, poor after I spent more than $600 on it and don’t know what else to do.
Please help, wht should I do, what procedure should I follow?

Last edited by a moderator:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
The following is my iPhone story:
I bought an unlocked 16GB iPhone from eBay at version 1.1.4. Placed my SIM, and worked just fine for one week. All features were functional. I have installed only a tetris and a chess game, nothing else, no other changes.
Suddenly the phone started to behave strange, loose the carrier signal, or the WiFi, and the next day to reboot by itself until one point when it showed on the the screen the plug and iTunes. iTunes detected the iPhone in recovery mode and I had the option to “restore & update”. Each time after trying to proceed with the recovery, the message was “An unknown error occurred (1011)”
I did some reading and downloaded the ZiPhone, v3.
- I could put the phone in restore mode and try the iTunes recovery and got the same error: “An unknown error occurred (1011)”.
- Then I placed it in DFU mode and then used the iTunes and got the same error: “An unknown error occurred (1011)”.
- Then I followed, exactly the troubleshooting procedure docs found in ZiPhone folder and each time I got the same error with iTunes.
- I have installed iTunes on a different computer and an older version: 7.4.x. I have tried the same procedures as above and the same error. That convinced me that it is the iPhone, not the software installed on my computer.
- I launched again ZiPhone, set it to start in normal mode. At that point on the iPhone I got the display with the key pad and in different langauges: “For emergency calls only”.
- In ZiPhone, I have clicked on “Do it all”, to unlock, jailbreak and to activate. On the iPhone showed a scrolling text and the “Z” name. It froze like that for more than 15 minutes and as per ZiPhone suggestion, close and restart and do it again.
*** The big problem now is the iPhone is not recognized by the ZiPhone or iTunes. When I turn it ON, it displays a scrolling text and then “Invalid calibration data” and then the line “BSD root: md0, major2, minor0” it keeps repeating itself. When I unplug it or plug it back it, some text detects that was plugged or unplugged but then this line with BSD keeps repeating itself.
I am mad, screwed, poor after I spent more than $600 on it and don’t know what else to do.
Please help, wht should I do, what procedure should I follow?
1) relax, thats a baseband issue and is easily remedied.
2) connect to computer
3) hold down home+sleep until the screen goes blank, then wait two seconds, and release sleep, but keep holding down home.
4) iTunes should recognize the phone in a little bit,
5) Restore to 1.1.4
6) download ZiPhone again, and click Do It All again.

if that doesn't work, PM me, and ill give more suggestions.

believe me, ive had this problem.

Sep 29, 2007
Just my two cents..when forcing iPhone into DFU mode for me is tricky and this is how I get it now.

Hold the power button and the home button and close your eyes and count to ten and not look at the screen. If you are a bad counter like me look at a stop watch. When you get passed about 10-10.5 seconds release the power button and keep holding the home button.

Of course the iPhone is plugged in and then iTunes will give you the message and your ready to restore.

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
1) relax, thats a baseband issue and is easily remedied.
2) connect to computer
3) hold down home+sleep until the screen goes blank, then wait two seconds, and release sleep, but keep holding down home.
4) iTunes should recognize the phone in a little bit,
5) Restore to 1.1.4
6) download ZiPhone again, and click Do It All again.

if that doesn't work, PM me, and ill give more suggestions.

believe me, ive had this problem.
Man, your message cooled me off a bit and now after hours and hours, I have it back alive like before. I can't believe it.
The ZiPhone does not work for me in "Do it all". It locks and have to start all over.
But if I use the "Jailbreak file system" and then "Activate" options separately, it brings the phone back to life.
Then I fully restore it in iTunes and it is all OK, as a brand new phone, but not carrier signal. Thank you for the timming tips Zabu!
I used iPlus2 to unlocked it under command prompt, as per their readme. All scrolling messages were OK, the phone rebooted by itself and still no signals... :(

I have rebooted the phone few times but nothing and then went into ZiPhone and I tried the option from baseband options "Fix Wi-Fi". I rebooted but still the same. What should I do now?

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
Now the following info is very disturbing and worries me again becaseu the phone is exactyl as decribed below...

Posted at: hxxp://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iPhone_information_1.html
c/p
I've received a couple broken iPhones recently that have the exact same, and currently unsolvable, problem: Invalid calibration data in device tree. In neither case was the owner of the iPhone aware of this situation. So I'd like to put out some information on this problem so that you can determine whether or not you have this issue. In short if your phone seems to work fine, then don't worry about this. These symptoms are quite obvious, and dire.

• If you DFU restore the iPhone, iTunes will give you a 1011 error. This indicates a mismatch between the baseband and the firmware on the iPhone. This should NEVER happen during a restore so this is a definitve sign.
  • Repair needed message is displayed.
  • If you press the "i" button from an unactivated iPhone it will display the IMEI and ICCID as "unknown".
  • No carrier signal bars
  • In your Settings screen, the Wi-Fi will be greyed out and say "No Wi-Fi".
  • In your General screen, the Bluetooth will be greyed out and say "Unavailable".
  • In your About screen the Wi-Fi Address will say "N/A", and the Bluetooth address will say "00:00:00:00:00:00", and the IMEI, ICCID and Modem Firmware will be blank.
  • There is no sound.
  • If you go into Field Test mode, the Firware version will be blank.
  • The iPhone will take a long time to turn on and shut down.
  • Of all the reports I've read, there has been one common factor: the use of the ZiPhone program.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
can I ask a question real quick? What are you using on your pc? It it windows me or what ? I do understand you concern. I had the same issue once before. But i had to try two diff comps to get it to work finally on the third one. Also if you keep clicking do it all on ziPhone I would suggest just clicking jailbreak. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck.

rgonzalez

Apr 2, 2008
Ater step 5) restore back to 114, always get a 1011 error, nothing that ZiPhone can fix unfortunately, always end up at the same place with an "invalid calibration data" error

any other tips you can provide are welcome, so far, everytime try to restore 114 to the phone, always a 1011 error and the phone reboots in recovery mode

DigitALL: the problems you describe are exactly what happens to this phone, however would like to add that when I received the phone, when turned on it inmediately froze up. Signal that the user may have try several other methods for unlocking it unssuccessfully, the damaging the phone.

After using ZiPhone, when reflashing the process stalls and thats the point where the problem begins, the "Invalid" error continues no matter what you do to restore the full firmware. You can jailbreak and activate but there will be no radio functions or sound at all as you describe

jut added this infor to complete your post

regards

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
use ZiPhone,

click Refubrish,

restore again to 1.1.4,

use ZiPhone.

I guarantee you, the calibration error is fixable.

be happy.

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
use ZiPhone,

click Refubrish,

restore again to 1.1.4,

use ZiPhone.

I guarantee you, the calibration error is fixable.

be happy.
Hi bud, I can not see any "Refurbish" option in ZiPhone v3.

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
I wrote that I use the ZiPhone version 3 which is the latest, right?
The option "Refurbish" is nowhere....:(

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
damn..

try searching for ZiPhone 2.6b...

that definitely had it...

or you can wait until about 7 EST and i'll upload it somewhere...

i know i have it on my computer, but im in school at the moment, so i cant really help you..

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
all links for 2.6B takes me to the v3 release. It seems I am not able to find it. Please post a link or send it to my email: ovidiu@hotmail.com
I appreciate your help. I spent way, way too much energy on this thing... :(

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
I found it! :)
I will post an update...

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
I have done a bit more reading. Please check it out. My phone is exactly as described in there.

http://213.171.197.86/?q=node/184

http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node/167

http://213.171.197.86/?q=node/181

At this time I am holding OFF with ZiPhone 2.6 and will read your opinions. This is a nice forum!

I have used the latest iLiberty for PC and still no success... At the message: Reflash baseband to 04.04.05_g, I get "Checking baseband version" and it locks like that.

Apparently I have the option to fix this problem 99.9% wit $150 by buying a new communication board and replace it. Check: http://www.ifixit.com/Products/iPhone/105

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
if you are going to replace it, then why not just try ZiPhone first? he said 3.0 fixed those problems...

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
if you are going to replace it, then why not just try ZiPhone first? he said 3.0 fixed those problems...
I have tried the "Refurbished" option twice in 2.6 and it get locked, some scrolling text and then it get locked. After 30 minutes I have unplugged and restored with iTunes with error 1011.

What elase I should do?

rgonzalez

Apr 2, 2008
ZiPhone 3.0 stalls at iErasing with refurbish, Indenpendance 1.4b5 crashes, iJailbreak crashes 0.6, iLiberty doesn't even recognizes the phone unless it is ready for jailbreak.

so i guess the phoe is really dead !

DigitALL

Apr 1, 2008
What a week and what a screw up!
When restoring in iTunes it gives me error 1011 and then with this famous ZiPhone I can restore it but no carrier and WiFi signal. No sound too, it fits the perfect description form the links provided above.
I also tried different combinations with iLiberty, iPlus and again ZiPhone but all the same... and im my readings I could not find one single guy successful with a specific method. So no fix at this time? I have a $600 iPhone as junk...

In the links provided above they say to buy a new com board that costs $150 and the problem would be 99.9% fixed. OK, I would go for it but after buying one, replacing it, what procedure should be done to avoid another screw-up? Does anyone know with no doubt?
I hate this ZiPhone...

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Give themanofthedark a chance to get home from school. If he can't help you get it sorted out, few can. Hang in there.