iPhone curse!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Well, I have fallen to the iPhone curse.. it made me go out and purchase a MacBook PRO ahhhhhhhhhh!

I do have a question though... I want to get "parallel" so I can run Windows and Mac OSX at the same time, will this also mean that I can run Independence and Windows programs simultaneously?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It's interesting. I was SERIOUSLY considering an MBP until a few weeks after I bought the iPhone. I haven't been one of those peeps constantly complaining about features lacking on the device, but I am starting to have a problem with Apple's lack of communication about WHY we don't have certain "no brainer" features like file management, Flash, and cut/paste. If the hypothesised post Leopard update doesn't come with some of these things, or at the very least we don't get some sort of explanation as to why we can't get them, I will likely not ever buy any more expensive Apple products. I love my iPhone, and would consider possibly buying the next version, but I can't fathom paying thousands of dollars to a company with the sort of lack of communication Apple is willing to provide to it's customers. I have the same problem with Adobe. If there is ever a product released that has comparable versatility and power as Photoshop, I'll jump ship immediately. I'm sick of their unwillingness to tell us what to expect in impending "fixes" - not upgrades, mind you - just what problems they are working on. They won't tell anyone anything - ever. Total communication blackout outside the company. Apple seems to have the same policy.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Microsoft don't look all bad now does it?

For years Apple used to go on about how bad Microsoft was, because it had so much dominance and they would never be like that. And now look at Apple, they are even worse!

Least Bill Gates tells the world what he is up to!

It's interesting. I was SERIOUSLY considering an MBP until a few weeks after I bought the iPhone. I haven't been one of those peeps constantly complaining about features lacking on the device, but I am starting to have a problem with Apple's lack of communication about WHY we don't have certain "no brainer" features like file management, Flash, and cut/paste. If the hypothesised post Leopard update doesn't come with some of these things, or at the very least we don't get some sort of explanation as to why we can't get them, I will likely not ever buy any more expensive Apple products. I love my iPhone, and would consider possibly buying the next version, but I can't fathom paying thousands of dollars to a company with the sort of lack of communication Apple is willing to provide to it's customers. I have the same problem with Adobe. If there is ever a product released that has comparable versatility and power as Photoshop, I'll jump ship immediately. I'm sick of their unwillingness to tell us what to expect in impending "fixes" - not upgrades, mind you - just what problems they are working on. They won't tell anyone anything - ever. Total communication blackout outside the company. Apple seems to have the same policy.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
If I'm reading your post correctly you're saying, in part, that you would not purchase an Apple computer unless Apple gives you iPhone features that they never promised in the first place.

That just doesn't make any sense to me - the two seem completely unrelated.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Well, I have fallen to the iPhone curse.. it made me go out and purchase a MacBook PRO ahhhhhhhhhh!

I do have a question though... I want to get "parallel" so I can run Windows and Mac OSX at the same time, will this also mean that I can run Independence and Windows programs simultaneously?
I don't have an answer to your question, but congratulations on your new MacBook Pro purchase! I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I love mine :)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Isn't the Mac Book Pro a PC, but 10 times the cost? What exactly is the difference? The same spec PC laptop compared to say the mid level Mac Book Pro would be like $600. Ahh, the extra $2000 is for the fancy case right?

Why not buy a PC and install Leopard onto that? You have a Mac.

I don't have an answer to your question, but congratulations on your new MacBook Pro purchase! I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I love mine :)

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Isn't the Mac Book Pro a PC, but 10 times the cost? What exactly is the difference? The same spec PC laptop compared to say the mid level Mac Book Pro would be like $600. Ahh, the extra $2000 is for the fancy case right?

I don't know where the Mac is 10x the cost of a PC, but I just configured a Sony VAIO laptop that directly compares to my MacBookPro 17" and except for a couple of small things like BT (which is not available on the VAIO I configured) I was only $900.00 cheaper than my Mac. So, for me, the extra $900.00 is just the extra I am willing to pay for stability. I did have a go with Vista Ultimate and WOW, nothing but problems. Just from my experience, I am definitely not sad that I spent a little more on a Mac. It works and that's what I need it to do.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Where did you get the Sony? Best Buy?

HP are shipping out higher spec'd laptops than the Mac Book Pro for $900 and that is the top end of PC laptops. The average good PC laptop is like $650 max. That is a lot (and I mean a lot) less than the $2500 price tag for the Mac Book Pro. You must not have installed Vista properly. I've never had any issues with it. I have one PC running as a Half Life server under Vista Ultimate and it has never needed a reboot for over 6 months. I get like 10,000 hits a day from people playing on it.

The other half wanted a Mac because it "looked cute". So off we went to the Apple store and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the prices. Hell no. I bought her the exact same spec PC laptop for over $1800 less than the Apple. I can buy 3 Dell Quad core PCs for the money I saved.

I don't know where the Mac is 10x the cost of a PC, but I just configured a Sony VAIO laptop that directly compares to my MacBookPro 17" and except for a couple of small things like BT (which is not available on the VAIO I configured) I was only $900.00 cheaper than my Mac. So, for me, the extra $900.00 is just the extra I am willing to pay for stability. I did have a go with Vista Ultimate and WOW, nothing but problems. Just from my experience, I am definitely not sad that I spent a little more on a Mac. It works and that's what I need it to do.

VALET dude

Bronze
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas
sorry...not to thread jack or anything.
i've gotten the iPhone curse as well. i bought an imac (20" monitor 2.4 C2d)
i also bought that (parallels desktop 3.0) but haven't installed it yet. im loving it so far. these are my first Apple equipment.
again...sorry if i was thread jacking. let me know if you want me to edit and erase this post. TY

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Shame on you. Now go home and think about what you just did.

sorry...not to thread jack or anything.
i've gotten the iPhone curse as well. i bought an imac (20" monitor 2.4 C2d)
i also bought that (parallels desktop 3.0) but haven't installed it yet. im loving it so far. these are my first Apple equipment.
again...sorry if i was thread jacking. let me know if you want me to edit and erase this post. TY

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
If I'm reading your post correctly you're saying, in part, that you would not purchase an Apple computer unless Apple gives you iPhone features that they never promised in the first place.

What he's saying is he wants communication from the company about WHY these features aren't included. He never said anything about Apple promising those features and then not delivering. He wants to know why these supposed super devices lack really basic features. And, unless he gets a REALLY good explanation he would not continue to by Apple products, because of the lack of these basic yet very useful features. He would also, not continue to purchase Apple products if they continued the lack of communication, and lack of features.

It's funny how you twisted the original posters words.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

I was going to write a reply, but there isn't any real need.

What he's saying is he wants communication from the company about WHY these features aren't included. He never said anything about Apple promising those features and then not delivering. He wants to know why these supposed super devices lack really basic features. And, unless he gets a REALLY good explanation he would not continue to by Apple products, because of the lack of these basic yet very useful features. He would also, not continue to purchase Apple products if they continued the lack of communication, and lack of features.

It's funny how you twisted the original posters words.
There's no way I could have said it better than that!

You DEFINITELY twisted my words to mean something very different than what was intended.

If we aren't getting the features most of us think are "no brainers", fine. Apple should just tell us and give us a reasonable explanation. I can live with that. They know we are sitting around wishing for this stuff, and we know that most of it can simply be coded in through an update. They could so easily just put an end to the misery of wondering...

Please read more carefuly next time. I'm usually pretty clear in my posts.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Where did you get the Sony? Best Buy?

HP are shipping out higher spec'd laptops than the Mac Book Pro for $900 and that is the top end of PC laptops. The average good PC laptop is like $650 max. That is a lot (and I mean a lot) less than the $2500 price tag for the Mac Book Pro. You must not have installed Vista properly. I've never had any issues with it. I have one PC running as a Half Life server under Vista Ultimate and it has never needed a reboot for over 6 months. I get like 10,000 hits a day from people playing on it.

The other half wanted a Mac because it "looked cute". So off we went to the Apple store and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the prices. Hell no. I bought her the exact same spec PC laptop for over $1800 less than the Apple. I can buy 3 Dell Quad core PCs for the money I saved.
No, I actually just spec'd it out on www.sonystyle.com just to see what you were talking about. Now, I am sure Sony (being a more premium name than HP) is more expensive than most PC manufacturers. I can't believe that you can now find laptops for $650.00! WOW!

I just got my wife a MacBook (not the pro) and got a free ipod nano, free printer and used her student discount and spent a little over $1,000.00. I think it was a good deal. I am sure the clientele that Apple goes for (artisits, musicians, etc.) don't careto pay more. I just got bit by the Apple bug a year ago and haven't looked back. Also, I am coming from an HP laptop that started having problems with it without more than just average use (i.e. pictures, music management, web surfing, etc.).

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Here you go.. start buying :) (these are just some examples)

+----------------------+
Acer Aspire 5520-5147, AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-58, 1.9GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 200GB, 8X DVD Super-Multi double-layer drive, 5-in-1 card reader, 802.11b/g, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $599.98 at Staples.com
+----------------------+
Dell Vostro 1000, AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-53, 1.7GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 80GB, 8X DVD+/-RW2 with double-layer3 DVD+R write capability, Cyberlink Power DVD, 802.11b/g, ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™, Windows XP or Vista, 1yr Warranty » for $499 at Dell.com
+----------------------+
Dell Inspiron E1405 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5300, 1.73GHz, 14.1" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 120GB, 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability, 802.11b/g, Windows Vista Home Basic, 1yr Warranty » for $664 at Dell.com
+----------------------+
HP Pavilion dv9610us, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58, 17" WXGA+, 1GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, 802.11b/g, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $699.99 at CompUSA.com
+----------------------+
HP Pavilion dx6650us, Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 1.5GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 2GB RAM, 80GB and 120GB Hard Drives, LightScribe 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, 802.11b/g, HP WebCam and Integrated Microphone, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $799.99 at CompUSA.com
+----------------------+

Maybe not the cheapest laptops in the world, but definitely not $2500.

But if you know people that work for big companies, Apple gives them amazing discounts for software/hardware. I work for one of the big studios here in Hollywood and I get a 75% discount on all Apple software.

No, I actually just spec'd it out on www.sonystyle.com just to see what you were talking about. Now, I am sure Sony (being a more premium name than HP) is more expensive than most PC manufacturers. I can't believe that you can now find laptops for $650.00! WOW!

I just got my wife a MacBook (not the pro) and got a free ipod nano, free printer and used her student discount and spent a little over $1,000.00. I think it was a good deal. I am sure the clientele that Apple goes for (artisits, musicians, etc.) don't careto pay more. I just got bit by the Apple bug a year ago and haven't looked back. Also, I am coming from an HP laptop that started having problems with it without more than just average use (i.e. pictures, music management, web surfing, etc.).

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco

Every post of yours is the same. At least come up with something original (or smart)...or stop being a troll.

Try to install OSX on a "PC" and let me know how that works out for you. ROFL!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Is that why you Mac guys are so desperate trying to find an emulator that will run PC software? If Macs are so wonderful, why are you trying to emulate a PC?

A PC doesn't need to emulate an Apple. It's an evolved machine that the Mac is now trying to copy. Didn't the latest iPhone hack come from Microsoft software (.NET 3.0)?

Just read my footer.. it says it all.

Oh and.. isn't a Mac a PC, but 10 times the cost. Now go change your tampon and let us men talk.

Every post of yours is the same. At least come up with something original (or smart)...or stop being a troll.

Try to install OSX on a "PC" and let me know how that works out for you. ROFL!