iPhone Data Cable Coming Apart

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by ashwini, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ashwini

ashwini Member

I got my iPhone 3-4 months ago. Now, the data cable is breaking from both the sides and exposing the wires. I can still use the cable but I am scared if I will end up breaking it into two!

Is this covered in the warranty? I don't remember ever handling it roughly.

[​IMG]
  2. Neo-Tech

Neo-Tech Member

I don't think it's covered by the warranty as it's wear and tear and it costs about £12 for a new one. I've got the same problem apart from it's the USB side. Cheap cables ftl :(
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Mine is worse than that, ashwini...:)
  5. ashwini

ashwini Member

@Napoleon - Does it still work??!
  6. Works fine. Yours should work for a long time as long as you're aware of the condition that's already there.
  7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius

Yeah, I have about three that are bad. It's funny no matter if that white plastic comes off it still charges. But I have extras so I use them when mine got really bad looking.
  8. As long as the wires are intact, you're good.
  9. ashwini

ashwini Member

That should do, but you would expect someone like apple to put in a little more care into it!
  10. Europa

Europa Moderator

I don't think it's typical. I have several laying around from all my various Apple devices, none of them are damaged like that. At least they're cheap to replace.
  11. styfle

styfle Zealot

If I were you, I would put some electrical tape around that to prevent it from ripping anymore. It might look stupid but it will work.
  12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

^ @ 1st post.

My wire is the same, I wouldn't worry too much until it actually falls apart. There cheap to replace so I wouldn't let it concern you.

Get a new one- there's plenty of 3rd party usb-ipod cables out there
  13. iPhoneMonster

iPhoneMonster New Member

Mines ripped from both ends now.. I might call apple and either buy or hopefully replace them or free because it's not cheap in Australia - $25. I don't have spares lying around because they are either from the other ipods or the other iPhone..
  14. Neo-Tech

Neo-Tech Member

Electrical Tape? I might try that :)
  15. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

Don't pull the plug out by the cable and this won't happen to you :)

Sorry, it's the engineer in me talking...
  16. The Apple

The Apple Zealot

If it came with the phone it should be covered under warranty. I had my headphones replaced a couple times under warranty.
  17. Good advice, Dave. When I was in the Air Force Band, I did a couple of stints on the audio crew. Believe me, those guys were picky as hell about the way their cords and cables were treated. If you even looked at them wrong (the cables), you might have gotten a lecture.

However, it kept our equipment in far better shape for far longer.

I still don't understand why one of my commanders always referred to red duct tape as "rock & roll duct tape," though. :)
  18. tippingpt

tippingpt New Member

Same thing happened to me. I bought a new one on Amazon for 1 cent. no joke, and the shipping was $3.00. but mine was a year old already.
  19. Bitewound

Bitewound Evangelist

Same thing happened to mine at the other end -I took it in to the Apple store and it was replaced no questions asked.
  20. Neo-Tech

Neo-Tech Member

^Really? Too bad the nearest Apple Store for me is miles away :(
    Mind you, if I order online, it might be cheaper as petrol is damn right expensive, blame "Golden" Brown.
  21. psylichon

psylichon Moderator