iPhone data plan question.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

raju05

Nov 28, 2007
I recently got the iPhone but have to upgrade my plan so I can activate it. I understand that AT&T use to require a data plan with the iPhone, is this still the case? I've read on engadget that its now possible to remove your edge service and reduce your bill by $20, is this true? Has anyone tried this? I'm always around WIFI and even if I'm not, I don't care too much for EDGE. Thank you.

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I recently got the iPhone but have to upgrade my plan so I can activate it. I understand that AT&T use to require a data plan with the iPhone, is this still the case? I've read on engadget that its now possible to remove your edge service and reduce your bill by $20, is this true? Has anyone tried this? I'm always around WIFI and even if I'm not, I don't care too much for EDGE. Thank you.
I just got through reading on "The Unoffical Apple Weblog" that this option was just removed. So according to them you can no longer remove the edge.

Here's the link: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/29/atandt-removes-on-line-iphone-plan-customization/

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It would be crazy to have the iPhone and not have the iPhone data plan. If you don't have the unlimited data plan, then AT&T will charge you $.01/Kb for data charges. You could have $10 of data daily even if you don't check your email much. Anytime you check the stocks or weather, you're accessing the internet (more data!).

If you're a light texter, go with the $20 plan. If you are heavy, go with the unlimited $40 plan. Mine is the $20 plan and it works out great for me.

raju05

Nov 28, 2007
It would be crazy to have the iPhone and not have the iPhone data plan. If you don't have the unlimited data plan, then AT&T will charge you $.01/Kb for data charges. You could have $10 of data daily even if you don't check your email much. Anytime you check the stocks or weather, you're accessing the internet (more data!).

If you're a light texter, go with the $20 plan. If you are heavy, go with the unlimited $40 plan. Mine is the $20 plan and it works out great for me.
All data plans are unlimited?
The unlimited data plan that gives you 200 texts is $20, which is the basic one that any iPhone plan comes with, no?
If yes, why all this $.01/kb for data charges? It makes no sense, unless of course you were oversea roaming.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL

isn't the text plan 20 dollars for unlimeted never heard of a 40 dollar text plan. and then data plan is just 20 dollars as well.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
The unlimited data plan that gives you 200 texts is $20, which is the basic one that any iPhone plan comes with, no?
If yes, why all this $.01/kb for data charges? It makes no sense, unless of course you were oversea roaming.
The data plan is unlimited yes. If you're cheap and try and drop the data plan to save $20 bucks, you will be billed $.01/kb each time you use any data (when not on wifi).

BIG mistake in my opinion. If you can not afford the data plan you should probably reconsider buying the phone.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you can't even drop the data plan, anymore. so, whatever... AT&T won't let you take it off your bill, so you only have the option of getting unlimited data, which is what you need, in my opinion, anyway.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yes all data plans are unlimited, but the OP was asking about removing the iPhone data plan and just using a voice plan. That would be very expensive with the iPhone. It is always accessing the internet. Without any data plan, AT&T charges the user $.01/Kb for data. All three options are unlimited data; the only differences between the three are the number of text messages you can make each month.