iPhone Data Plan/ SIM in Another Phone- Calling all iPhone Users!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Heylo people of EiP! Well, I am finally getting my iPhone, haha. Although, I need a few questions answered. Before you "Google/Search button Nazis" come at me for asking these things, I did search and found many answers, but they all contradicted themselves. =] So, this following question is ONLY FOR iPHONE USERS WHO KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE, THANK YOU.

My Dad called AT&T today and they said that if I took the SIM out of the iPhone and put it into another internet phone that having the internet would be a "hit or miss" and "slim to none" because the iPhone uses a "different internet". Well, iPhone uses EDGE... soo... it uses the same internet? That confused me. Anyway, I would like to know if you have taken the SIM out of the iPhone, used internet on a different phone with the iPhone SIM, had it WORK, and the phone model, por favor. Also, is it only a type of internet service you used, such as MEdia Net, or internet in general?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Congrats on the iPhone.

By "Different Internet" They mean Safari, iPhone's internet browser. It is unlike internet on other phones, such as MEdia Net because of it's functionality. I myself have tried placing my SIM in one of my parent's phone's and the internet did not work. When I placed the SIM back into the iPhone I had to re-sync my bookmarks. Nothing really bothersome, just syncing, but unless necessary, I wouldn't recommend switching the SIM.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Haha, they didn't mean Safari, they meant that the iPhone SIM was special for the iPhone, and that the Data wouldn't work on another phone. Thank you for the post, and I don't have it yet. I have been in this forum since about March and have been following all the iPhone stuffs, but becasue of a large donation to something that wasn't my iPhone fund, my iphone-ness-ness has been delayed. I'm hoping within the next few weeks. Thanks again, and I invite others to post. =]