iPhone "Dead Strip" important for new buyers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cccc

Dec 16, 2007
hi i just have 1 question because i want to buy a iPhone. I read somewhere on the internet that iPhones usually suffer from a "dead strip" on its screen where the touch screen become inoperable. I was wondering would anyone know which version of iPhone this affects, like the early iPhones or later ones or all of them?
would this problem affect week 47 1.1.2 OTB the same that it affected the very first iPhones made like week 1.
Thank You

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Tish, flibble and balderdash. "Usually suffer from" probably means "A known issue affecting 1 in 10,000 units" written by someone who'd love an iPhone and can't afford one.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
i had that issue, actually. the row on the screen that covers the top row of the keyboard suddenly stopped working. But i went into my Apple store, and they handed me a new one! so, even if that happens to you, don't worry about it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Tish, flibble and balderdash. "Usually suffer from" probably means "A known issue affecting 1 in 10,000 units" written by someone who'd love an iPhone and can't afford one.
This guy has something with taking the words out of my mouth.

I heard very few stores on a "dead strip" back in July and I haven't heard one since. Don't worry about it.

- John

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
On the contrary...

The dead strip is a fairly common complaint on the Apple iPhone help forum.

Which doesn't mean it's as common in the field, but certainly is a well known glitch and the phone is quickly replaced by a new one if you take it to an Apple store.

It can be the top, middle or bottom. Hopefully it's just a cable connector problem that they'll eventually correct at the factory end.

In any case, it's nothing to worry about, since it's an automatic replacement if found.

cccc

Dec 16, 2007
Thanks guys but you see im in australia and i want an iPhone from ebay. thats why i was asking so i don't think theres warranty as im in australia. but thanks for ya help. if anyone else has this issue please post.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I've had this

I had this problem in the second month of having my iPhone, August. I went to the Apple store, was told they will send my iPhone in for repair. I had to pay $30 for a temporary replacement iPhone, and 5 days later was told my iPhone could not be fixed and they gave me a new one. Though the $30 temp replacement is optional, if you do not pay up, you have no phone for anywhere from 5 - 12 days, something I cannot do with my job, as im sure many others with an iPhone couldn't do as well. I had a huge problem with this but could not get around it as the Apple Geniuses told me it is a service they provide and they don't even have to do it. At least I got a brand new one in the end.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I actually had this problem but only after my phone had a water bottle spilt on it. After it dried the top half didn't work. I do believe though it was from getting wet? Anyways, I had to get a new phone.:(