iPhone dead - what's the procedure?

sbrainb

Aug 13, 2007
So I got the awful black screen of death. When I try to do a manual reset, it just keeps trying to reboot itself over and over and over. Needless to say, I'm rather pissed.

Do I go back to the AT&T store where I bought it or should I go to the Apple store? If I have to go to the Apple store, I'd like to do it today - but do I have to book time at the Genius bar, because apparently you have to do it like a day in advance.

Thanks for the help..

sb

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
When you say you try to do a manual reset, what exactly are you doing? I assume you mean holding the power & home button for the 8sec hardware shutdown?

If so, it sounds like you just need to restore the phone. Make sure it's plugged in and hold the power and home button down for 30s or until the yellow triangle pops on (hold down for a good minute just to be sure). You should be able to restore your phone from there via iTunes restore.

sbrainb

Aug 13, 2007
When you say you try to do a manual reset, what exactly are you doing? I assume you mean holding the power & home button for the 8sec hardware shutdown?

If so, it sounds like you just need to restore the phone. Make sure it's plugged in and hold the power and home button down for 30s or until the yellow triangle pops on (hold down for a good minute just to be sure). You should be able to restore your phone from there via iTunes restore.
I was doing exactly what you said, but I suppose I wasn't holding it down long enough! I am at work now, so I'm away from my iTunes, but I just tried what you said and the yellow triangle came up. I'm gonna rush home tonight and plug it in. Wish me luck! And thanks!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Good luck there buddy! =)