iPhone DFU question

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
OK,
so I have an iPhone 3g and haven't backed it up in quite a while... This has never happened to me before but it has gone into recovery mode or DFU. I don't know how it happened but that part isn't important. I REALLY don't want to lose all of my data, I have important numbers, texts, notes etc. that cannot be replaced easily. I'm not sure what version of IOS I am running but does anyone know how I can get it out of DFU mode and still KEEP all of my data intact? Thanks

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
Yep. All you have to do is google a program called "tiny umbrella". Install it and run it and click on kick out of recovery mode. That will fix it. It's a small program and a free be.

acercow

Jun 21, 2011
Shanghai,China
weibo.com
Tinyumbrella may help you kick out DFU
By the way, although in DFU mode, ifunbox can still recognize your iPhone, so it's easy to backup data (SMS database's direction need jailbroken to access)

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
@jmbaker429 I downloaded and ran tiny umbrella and it says enter DFU mode on the device and click fix recovery... but when I try that, fix recovery button is grayed out... Any Thoughts?
Also I clicked Exit DFU and it didn't work...

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
Thanks @acercow That is much needed info. I haven't even tried to do a factory restore in iTunes yet because I don't want to lose all of my data. I would probably be OK if I lose SMS messages but not notes, calendar, contacts and pictures... Would this program allow me to save all of that data?

acercow

Jun 21, 2011
Shanghai,China
weibo.com
Thanks @acercow That is much needed info. I haven't even tried to do a factory restore in iTunes yet because I don't want to lose all of my data. I would probably be OK if I lose SMS messages but not notes, calendar, contacts and pictures... Would this program allow me to save all of that data?
sorry, I did a mistake, in DFU can't access filesystem, but you can try to hold power + home button to reboot your phone, after the white Apple icon appears for some minutes, ifunbox may recognize the phone.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
A couple of things... My iPhone was not jailbroken and neither ifunbox or tinyumbrella are noticing my phone in DFU mode. Has anybody else ran into a similar problem? It just seems to me that there should be a way that I can save all of my data... Any other help would be appreciated

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Have you tried using a different USB cable and/or tried different USB ports?

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
no I haven't but I will try both right now.

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
Well I tried three different USB ports and 2 USB cables and tinyumbrella and ifunbox both just cycle through... The phone restarts and goes back to plug into iTunes screen. Ifunbox actually doesn't even recognize the device.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Does the phone have the iPad's baseband installed?

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
No, I haven't done anything to my phone for about a year... no software updates, and no backups. I have no idea why it entered into DFU mode in the first place. I was trying to open the iTunes app and it wasn't working so I did a hard reset... I might have held the buttons to long?... either way, I can't believe theres no way to kick it out of DFU mode so I can do a much overdue backup and cleanup...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What iTunes error code are you getting? Is your phone unlocked? BTW, you can restore to factory settings and then apply the backup afterwards.

suprfusion

Mar 31, 2009
@Europa I have not received any error codes or messages from iTunes... If I wanted to restore to factory settings I don't think I'd have a problem doing that. The only problem I'm having is that I can't afford to lose all the data that I currently have on my phone. I have some very important pictures, audio recordings, notes, contacts, pdfs in ibooks and SMS messages that I've acquired over the past year I need and won't be able to get back by restoring it to factory and then applying my last backup. This is why I am looking for alternative solutions so I can save all of my data and then do a much needed backup when my phone is back to working condition. It was not jailbroken when it got stuck in DFU and hasn't been jailbroken for about 2.5 years...