iPhone disabled but cannot connect to iTunes to type in password

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lesshaze, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lesshaze

lesshaze New Member

my daughter's sister was messing with her phone and the message on the phone is now iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes. But when we connect it to iTunes then the message on iTunes is that the phone is locked and must be unlocked to connect. There never gets to be a screen where we could type in the password - which my daughter who owns the phone does know. can anyone help us get the screen up so she can type in the password and enable the phone again? she is very upset and we are on holidays and can't get to an Apple store for a few days. will bringing it to a store help?:( Thanks!

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Have you tried going into 'Settings' 'General' ' Passcode Lock' to see if you can change it or turn it off?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. lesshaze

lesshaze New Member

we can't get into the phone at all except to make emergency calls. I tried pulling out the sim card and putting it back in and rebooting by holding the top and round button - they all come back to the same screen. is it that we don't have the computer it was originally synced to and just plugged it into my computer? do we need the computer it started from to work?

5. mikewbennett

mikewbennett New Member

I had the same problem and a bunch of people on here accused the others that asked of trying to break into a stolen phone... here is how mine got fixed.

have iTunes open, phone plugged in. it should pop up with that message like you have been seeing" need phone unlocked" or whatever.

Force reboot the phone (hold down the top lock button and the homescreen button at the same time for about ten seconds or until the screen goes black)

When the screen goes black, let go of the two buttons and then power the phone back on if it already hasn't started booting on its own.

as soon as the silver Apple logo appears hold down the home screen button while it is booting up. this will force the phone to boot in recovery mode not needing a passcode to connect to iTunes.

that should fix your problem and you should be able to restore through iTunes.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sorry you had a bad experience, Mike, but a few bad eggs made it tough for everyone else. The prohibition against discussing ways of getting around the passcode is documented in the forum guidelines

"No discussion of overriding the password lock system due to obvious connections to illegal activity. Your thread will be deleted and there is a good chance you'll receive an infraction."