iPhone doesn't switch back to LTE automatically after a call

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by fury, Dec 12, 2012.

1. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

So, I'm on AT&T LTE, I get a call, it drops down to faux-G. I understand why it does that (there are not enough antennas/radios in the phone to stay on LTE while doing the call over 3G or faux-G). What I do not understand, however, is that it stays on faux-G after the call is over. I have to go to Settings - General - Cellular, and switch LTE off and back on to get it back to LTE.

Anyone else had that happen?

It doesn't bother me much at the moment because I rarely receive phone calls and it's not a big deal. But it's still rather annoying and I could live without having to do that.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. I don't have LTE here, but that happened every time I had a phone call in Vegas where I did have LTE. It was when I was on 6.0, though. Not sure if 6.0.1 fixed it.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm on 6.0.1, so it's still broke. I think it may have something to do with persistent connections. If there's something on the phone that is actively connected, like a download, an IM connection, or an Exchange server, maybe it hangs onto it to prevent interruption in that connection's service. But I have so many things connected I can't narrow it down. And they got disconnected once already when switching off LTE anyway, not sure why it wouldn't want to return back to LTE ASAP.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm really surprised we don't hear more about this. I also had a problem with it picking up LTE when it was available. I sometimes had to go into airplane mode to connect to it.

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I've had this happen to me this morning. I wasn't on a call. I was sitting at my desk and my LTE just went out and I got a message on the phone that said No Service and then the 4G popped up and stayed there. I waited a few minutes because this has happened before and the LTE came back within seconds, but this time I waited and watched for at least ten minutes and it didn't come back.

I was thinking of Resetting my Network or Resetting all my settings and I went to do it, but I hesitated and decided to do a Hard Reset instead and when it came back I had LTE and its been on LTE ever since.

I figured AT&T had a little hiccup this morning.

6. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I'm in Vegas and we have great LTE service here. I never noticed this until I read this thread but I don't make a lot of calls like the OP. I made a quick call and sure enough it didn't switch back to LTE right away. It took about 5-6 min but it did eventually switch back. Not sure why it takes so long; you'd think it would switch back right away.

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Mine always goes to 4G making or receiving a call. It usually takes approximately 30-60 seconds to go back to LTE. Maybe try going & turning LTE off & right back on if you need it restored immediately.

8. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

So, why doesn't LTE remain active during a call on the iP5? I'm on ATT w/ the iP5 and i've noticed that during a call that LTE goes away and is replaced with 4G for the duration of the call. And as stated in this thread, returns to LTE after the call is terminated. Did I miss something? I haven't heard any fuss about this in the tech community. Seems like a disadvantage to me. But honestly, I don't surf on my phone that much during calls anyways, but you would think that the iP5 would have that capability during calls... My 2 cents.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure it's because it uses 4G/HSPA+ for phone calls, not LTE.

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The reason is that they can't do the phone call over LTE (yet), and the iPhone only has a single cellular radio. It can operate LTE or 3G, but not both at the same time. So, when the call comes in, it has to drop LTE.

Thus, it comes with any limitations that were present on the 4/4S, which means for Verizon and Sprint, the only way to get data while on a call is to use wifi. On AT&T, you can do voice and data over 3G.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

11. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

Curious, very curious... O_o

12. ryfone

ryfone Member
    Bronze

From that article, "So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech." <- That's got to be good for your melon... LOL