iPhone downgraded to "Don't buy" by Gizmodo

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
They said "I'm done" because the phone was "neutered" of useful third party apps that had compensated for the otherwise poor functionality.

They also report that the bricking appears to be intentional ("malicious") based on some early code investigations.

It's a pretty good rant and on a much more visible platform than we have here.

Reviewer said he was switching to a Nokia N95. Hmmm. That sounds like a recommendation to me...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iPhone/iphone-re+reviewed-verdict-don't-buy-302075.php

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
The only reason was that now after the update the hacks don't work. But the hackers will just make new hacks and Gizmodo will flip flop again.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple. I would assume he reads most of the trade rags, or pays someone to do it for him.

The average iPhone consumer, however, doesn't give a rat's ass about third party apps, unlocking, or what Gizmodo has to say about buying the iPhone. Steve is aware of that, too.;)

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I knew I wasn't crazy. This walled garden that the iPhone has become is just blatant BS IMO. If Apple was supporting with the apps we want and need (and even if they were charging for them) it would be OK but Apple is doing NOTHING but adding functionality that creates more of a revenue stream.

No other company could get away with this and Apple will not be able to for long. I am in total agreement with the Gizmodo rating and I hope Steve-O enjoys the post.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yep, it's starting to kick in:

"Apple’s growth, an unwinnable iPhone war and a reputation at risk."
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=6446&tag=nl.e622

"Having the Internet littered with stories of iBricks isn’t going to be good for Apple. Had all the iBricks been unlocked iPhones prior to being bricked Apple might have been able to put the PR spin machine into high gear and made the hackers (and those deviant owners who wanted to unlock Apple’s their iPhones) the bad guys in all this. But even that would have been complicated. If, when the iPhone hackers dissect the update, it’s discovered that Apple had either deliberately or recklessly bricked iPhones, that’s going to paint Apple as the bad guy. If the hackers release a fix to transform iBricks back into iPhones, again Apple looks bad for having left customers out in the cold. That all makes Apple look very bad. What’s making Apple look really bad are the stories of iPhones that haven’t been tampered with being bricked. That’s going to be the nightmare part for Apple’s PR department.

I would expect a statement from Apple soon … wonder how they’ll spin it?"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=836&tag=nl.e622

--
Mike

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There are going to be some kick-a$$ phones on the market in the next 6 months or so... the Prada phone, possibly some very cool Samsung phones, the Tilt (not for me as I hate Windows Mobile), new BBs, Google Phone, etc, etc. The minute a phone like the Google phone or a BB has internet like the iPhone, the advantage the iPhone holds almost disappears IMO. Add 3P support on these phones and it is a swift kick in the nads to the iPhone. The bigtime handset manufacturers are not going to sit back and let Apple eat away at their market share. They are going to come out swinging and be out for blood. Trust me.

Apple better sell the snot out the iPhone or figure out a 3P strategy soon.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
While I have never opted to install any 3rd party apps on my iPhone, this truly sucks for those who now have bricked iPhones because they did make that choice--I honestly sympathize with them. I do believe Apple has stepped a little over the line by bricking so many simply because they have 3rd party apps installed. How does this hurt Apple or AT&T since the phone and the contract have both been purchased?

Sure, brick the hell out of unlocked iPhones. Brick 'em all! That makes sense from an AT&T service standpoint. But to brick those who simply installed some harmless apps that pose no threat to the businesss bottom line for both corporations? Ridiculous, vindictive, likely greedy, and unnecessary.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
While I have never opted to install any 3rd party apps on my iPhone, this truly sucks for those who now have bricked iPhones because they did make that choice--I honestly sympathize with them. I do believe Apple has stepped a little over the line by bricking so many simply because they have 3rd party apps installed. How does this hurt Apple or AT&T since the phone and the contract have both been purchased?

Sure, brick the hell out of unlocked iPhones. Brick 'em all! That makes sense from an AT&T service standpoint. But to brick those who simply installed some harmless apps that pose no threat to the businesss bottom line for both corporations? Ridiculous, vindictive, likely greedy, and unnecessary.
Trust me, for the most part (as long as something isn't driving sick amounts of data) AT&T could care less about 3P apps. As long as that phone is on the AT&T network and making calls they are happy. Now an iPhone on the TM network is a whole different ballgame.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Trust me, for the most part (as long as something isn't driving sick amounts of data) AT&T could care less about 3P apps. As long as that phone is on the AT&T network and making calls they are happy. Now an iPhone on the TM network is a whole different ballgame.
Oh, I agree. AT&T is mostly, I assume, concerned with unlocked phones. It is Apple who seems particularly aggrieved with the mods, which is what I can't quite understand.

After the phone has been purchased, what does Apple care what someone does with their iPhone? A person can even shove it up his or her butt if he or she wanted to for all Apple should care--they already received payment for the product.

The only reason I can fathom as to why Apple might be intentionally bricking modded phones is the argument of aesthetics. Apple is overly concerned not just how their product functions, but how it looks as well, whether it's the form factor or the OS. Apple does not want those who have yet to purchase an iPhone (or ipod or imac, etc.) to see a modded iPhone in the wild, deem it ugly (as I do), and make a snap judgment not to purchase a product based upon their initial reaction to a crapped up/modded iPhone OS due to someone going wild with 3rd party apps. I don't agree with this, but it's the only reasoning I can think of coming from the Apple camp.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There are thousands of people who don't even know about that site. I didn't even know about it till about two weeks ago. Would their recommendation stop me from buying my iPhone today? NOPE!
I second that. I never knew about Gizmodo until the release. To me, it's one person's thoughts, it means nothing to me. I'm sticking with the iPhone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
When I finally update my unmodded locked iPhone, I'm going to video the whole thing, just in case it gets bricked. I hope it IS bricked. Then I'll have evidence that I can provide for the class action lawsuit that Apple is asking for.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I checked out the Nokia N95 at Digital Life while attending Palm's announcement. There is absolutely no way I'd trade my iPhone for an N95. No way. They'd have to pry my iPhone from my dead cold hands.

-Chris

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I checked out the Nokia N95 at Digital Life while attending Palm's announcement. There is absolutely no way I'd trade my iPhone for an N95. No way. They'd have to pry my iPhone from my dead cold hands.

-Chris
Who or what is Gizmodo anyway?

reality

Sep 29, 2007
There are thousands of people who don't even know about that site. I didn't even know about it till about two weeks ago. Would their recommendation stop me from buying my iPhone today? NOPE!
So "thousands" don't know about the site, and you didn't know about it until last week....wonder how many millions don't know about consumerreports.com......sucker!

reality

Sep 29, 2007
There are going to be some kick-a$$ phones on the market in the next 6 months or so... the Prada phone, possibly some very cool Samsung phones, the Tilt (not for me as I hate Windows Mobile), new BBs, Google Phone, etc, etc. The minute a phone like the Google phone or a BB has internet like the iPhone, the advantage the iPhone holds almost disappears IMO. Add 3P support on these phones and it is a swift kick in the nads to the iPhone. The bigtime handset manufacturers are not going to sit back and let Apple eat away at their market share. They are going to come out swinging and be out for blood. Trust me.

Apple better sell the snot out the iPhone or figure out a 3P strategy soon.
THANK YOU........
Google....phone? Are you kidding me? 3p and 3G, unlike Apple 2.5G. Please tell me you aren't kidding. This is why I have waited....Going to google the google phone right now...OMG it's true....apple suckers.....enjoy your lease because before it is over I will own my phone AND its' apps from the day I buy it, ie. OWN it.