iPhone Downgrading Error

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
Ok, so I've tried all the instructions. Method C with iTunes 7.3.2 doesn't work as it wont talk to my phone unless its 7.4 .. i even uninstalled 7.3.2 and quicktime and reinstalled them just to make sure. i still had the same issue. now i put my phone in recovery mode, and its telling me

"the iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred. (1)"

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Ok, so I've tried all the instructions. Method C with iTunes 7.3.2 doesn't work as it wont talk to my phone unless its 7.4 .. i even uninstalled 7.3.2 and quicktime and reinstalled them just to make sure. i still had the same issue. now i put my phone in recovery mode, and its telling me

"the iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred. (1)"
did you follow the instruction ?

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i've now gotten it in both os x and bootcamp and vmware windows. the phone is in recovery mode....i connected it to my computer. i clicked restore+sift in windows, chose the 1.0.2 file from my desktop, it unzipped it in iTunes and then said that error. i've gotten it on each machine.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
here's the error .. could it be the name of my phone confuses it?
Error Code 1 is common. You have perform multiple restore attempts until iTunes ALLOWS you to get past EC1. Not sure if it's a glitch or what, but it WILL eventually let you restore to 1.0.2.

Read post I made on another thread:

ERROR CODE 1: Many people are going to get this. I got error 1 twice then iTunes restored to 1.1.1! Afterwards, I tried it again and iTunes allowed a 1.0.2 restore. iTunes will start saying Restoring, verifying software, and installing firmware. Good Luck.
No kidding...it really took me like 6 tries and 3 "re-udates" to the 1.1.1.....But there is hope for those who try to down grade to 1.0.2 and can't seem to get the hang of it at first.

I am installing installer right NOW...i can't wait to have my mods back! Thanks to the people that figured this all out.

NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT UPDATE WITHOUT WAITING!

jd0p

Oct 6, 2007
Solution!

Here is the real solution (other than the crap shoot of trying over and over again). It appears that there are 2 restore modes, the one where you see the iTunes logo and connector, and another where the screen is black. Turn off your iPhone by holding the power button. Once off, hold the power button and home button for exactly 10 seconds (THE SCREEN WILL BE BLACK), then release the power button and continue to hold the home button (THE SCREEN WILL STILL BE BLACK). iTunes will now recognize your phone and the restore will work successfuly! Good luck!

slikk115

Jul 3, 2007
Here is the real solution (other than the crap shoot of trying over and over again). It appears that there are 2 restore modes, the one where you see the iTunes logo and connector, and another where the screen is black. Turn off your iPhone by holding the power button. Once off, hold the power button and home button for exactly 10 seconds (THE SCREEN WILL BE BLACK), then release the power button and continue to hold the home button (THE SCREEN WILL STILL BE BLACK). iTunes will now recognize your phone and the restore will work successfuly! Good luck!
i love you.

..no, seriously.