iPhone download music over EDGE too

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I didn't knew this before reading this article about downloading music over EDGE. I have read about 3G connection but..

If you don't have any 3G signal or WiFi where you are, and have a great data-plan, then EDGE should be fine!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I didn't knew this before reading this article about downloading music over EDGE. I have read about 3G connection but..

If you don't have any 3G signal or WiFi where you are, and have a great data-plan, then EDGE should be fine!
Be prepared to wait. Also, make sure your iPhone is either fully charged or plugged in because it will require a lot of radio use.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Be prepared to wait. Also, make sure your iPhone is either fully charged or plugged in because it will require a lot of radio use.
That's not quite right in every situations: I have downloaded files with EDGE - about 150-200KB/Sec. So a music piece of 5MB would take 2-4 minutes max.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That's not quite right in every situations: I have downloaded files with EDGE - about 150-200KB/Sec. So a music piece of 5MB would take 2-4 minutes max.
If EDGE downloads were that quick, I'd never need to go to 3G. In my region of the US, EDGE data speeds average around 100 kb/sec, or 12 KB/sec. Most times, EDGE is actually less than 100 kb/sec. Your 2-4 minutes can easily double or triple.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
If EDGE downloads were that quick, I'd never need to go to 3G. In my region of the US, EDGE data speeds average around 100 kb/sec, or 12 KB/sec. Most times, EDGE is actually less than 100 kb/sec. Your 2-4 minutes can easily double or triple.
I'm lucky living in Denmark at that point..;)...but you're right! - Some areas with bad or low connection will take some time...maybe 5-10 minutes for one music piece. But if you're on a god data-plan it doesn't matter..only time.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
EDGE is fast enough to dl itune music, but not enough for those tv shows or movies. so for larger files, even in 3g network, i still use the old way on computer and sync to my iPhone.

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Sorry, Just to confirm... As far as downloading stuff from iTunes is concerned. Does it download over WiFi only, or it can download over 3G and Edge as well?