iPhone drive just got better (Mac only)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
A software app that lets you put your iPhone in disk mode and transfer all your media and files to your Mac from your iPhone, including the camera roll, SMS and notes now.
Another new feature is that you can play your iPhone music directly on the computer. I love that app.:)

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
A software app that lets you put your iPhone in disk mode and transfer all your media and files to your Mac from your iPhone, including the camera roll, SMS and notes now.
Another new feature is that you can play your iPhone music directly on the computer. I love that app.:)
bah humbug why cant things like this be freeeeeeee....i don't need it but it would be cool to have....if it were free

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
bah humbug why cant things like this be freeeeeeee....i don't need it but it would be cool to have....if it were free
Maybe it's because everybody needs to make a living? It's pretty cheap.
If you have a PC, it's $20 to transfer music/video (Tansee). Another $20 to transfer photos (and their size is limited to 640x480). It doesn't transfer anything else and surely doesn't play the iPhone mp3's on the computer.
I'd say iPhonedrive is a great deal. I got it for $9 months ago and all the upgrades have been free.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
If you have a PC, it's $20 to transfer music/video (Tansee). Another $20 to transfer photos (and their size is limited to 640x480). It doesn't transfer anything else and surely doesn't play the iPhone mp3's on the computer.
I'd say iPhonedrive is a great deal. I got it for $9 months ago and all the upgrades have been free.
so then why not tell us about it when it was only $9? now its $20 and $20 to me isn't really worth it...sorry if i seem a little apprehensive to come out the pocket for something that used free code combined it all and is now charging for it...plus all the songs on my iPhone i already have on my mac already so how is that useful at all?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so then why not tell us about it when it was only $9? now its $20 and $20 to me isn't really worth it...sorry if i seem a little apprehensive to come out the pocket for something that used free code combined it all and is now charging for it...plus all the songs on my iPhone i already have on my mac already so how is that useful at all?
Well, I DID - post 4 ! And more than once at that, but nobody was listening, I guess. And it's useful for people who are getting a new computer. Or who have a few computers with different info. Like me.

An old thing I like: being able to use iPhone like a HD or flash drive to transport large files between home and work, just like I used to do with my old iPod.

A new thing I like: being able to play music at work directly off my iPhone on the computer (I don't have that much music on iTunes at work).

Last edited by a moderator:

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
It'd be neat if this worked cross platform. I'm on Mac at home and PC at work. I'd love to use my phone to carry photoshop files home with me and vice versa.

I picked up an 8gig Nano to do this for me actually, and while its nice, I would like to just carry my iPhone only. Sucks tho, to use it as a thumbdrive with windows you need to format the partition to FAT 32 :( You run into a lot more data corruption with FAT unfortunately. I'm intrigued to see if they incorporate the iPhone's removable disk feature the same way the iPods do with Mac and PC formatting for file system use.

Mac only pairs with Macs, while PC pairs both ways despite being on a really old file system.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's been worth every penny.

Everybody wants everything to be free -- unless it's their product.:)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Thanks for the info, I'll try it out!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Please clarify-
I am planning on getting a new laptop sometime soon. (Waiting for new macbooks and cannot decide if I want Air). So, if I get this program I can put everything from my iPhone onto my new computer and then I will not lose anything when I sync to the new iTunes on the new computer?

thanks!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Please clarify-
I am planning on getting a new laptop sometime soon. (Waiting for new macbooks and cannot decide if I want Air). So, if I get this program I can put everything from my iPhone onto my new computer and then I will not lose anything when I sync to the new iTunes on the new computer?

thanks!
Entirely right! This program rocks for new Mac owners who want to transfer everything from their iPhone to their new Mac.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Please clarify-

thanks!
Don't wait for a new macbook, just grab the Air! My dad bought one two days ago and jesus christ it's amazing! So beautiful...........and slim.............and smooth...........................................[groans in pleasure and has orgasm]

:p

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Don't wait for a new macbook, just grab the Air! My dad bought one two days ago and jesus christ it's amazing! So beautiful...........and slim.............and smooth...........................................[groans in pleasure and has orgasm]

:p
I really have to go to the Apple store. It is about 45 min away. I also have to decide if the air can be a primary machine for me. I only use Internet, iTunes, and iPhoto at home, so I think I can live with the Air. My computers at home consist of a 6 year old dell desktop and my 3 (I think) year old iBook. Pretty sad situation at home now.lol

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I really have to go to the Apple store. It is about 45 min away. I also have to decide if the air can be a primary machine for me. I only use Internet, iTunes, and iPhoto at home, so I think I can live with the Air. My computers at home consist of a 6 year old dell desktop and my 3 (I think) year old iBook. Pretty sad situation at home now.lol
Kokogirl, the suspense is killing me. What did you get?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Kokogirl, the suspense is killing me. What did you get?
I am still waiting. I did not get a chance to go to the Apple store today, but I pulled up the specs on all macbook, air, and MBP online. When you compare the specs and pricing, the Air does not seem like a good deal-but when I see it in person I may not care!

I think it is better to wait for the new macbooks to come out before I buy. I want to be happy with my decision, not have buyers remorse. I need to buy soon because my ibook only has 5GB left on the HD. I think I need to erase some stuff...

Geordisjd-Do you have your Air yet? I know you ordered it special. What did you get exactly?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Geordisjd-Do you have your Air yet? I know you ordered it special. What did you get exactly?
It's coming! First, i was given a delivery date of March 3rd, but I got notified yesterday that it had been shipped. According to Fedex, it's sitting right here in Denver at the storage facility :mad:waiting to be delivered next week. My baby! All alone in the dark a few miles from me!:(:(:(:(

Anyway, this is the configuation I got:

1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB
64GB Solid State Drive
Apple Remote
Keyboard/Mac OS
APPLE USB ETHERNET ADAPTER-INT
APPLE MAGSAFE AIRLINE ADAPTER-INT
MACBOOK AIR SUPERDRIVE-GEN

We'll see if that flash drive speed is really worth the money.
I'm not too worried about the HD space. This is not going to be my primary computer or my primary laptop.

I'll post pictures as soon as Baby is settled in her new nest (it's a girl...I know it, I feel it!).

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Is the performance gain that significant going solid state? I'm sure loading apps will fly, but what was the tally on battery life in comparison?

I'm getting an Air also, I'm just indecided if the extra cash for the solid state is worth it. I too am not affected by drive space, I'm after convenience with this rig.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's coming! First, i was given a delivery date of March 3rd, but I got notified yesterday that it had been shipped. According to Fedex, it's sitting right here in Denver at the storage facility :mad:waiting to be delivered next week. My baby! All alone in the dark a few miles from me!:(:(:(:(

Anyway, this is the configuation I got:

1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB
64GB Solid State Drive
Apple Remote
Keyboard/Mac OS
APPLE USB ETHERNET ADAPTER-INT
APPLE MAGSAFE AIRLINE ADAPTER-INT
MACBOOK AIR SUPERDRIVE-GEN

We'll see if that flash drive speed is really worth the money.
I'm not too worried about the HD space. This is not going to be my primary computer or my primary laptop.

I'll post pictures as soon as Baby is settled in her new nest (it's a girl...I know it, I feel it!).

Awesome. Let us know as soon as you get it. I know you will post pics. ;) I am confused about the faster Air having the smaller 64GB drive. How does that work?

I am deciding whether he Air can be a primary computer. I think yes, since this old ibook is my primary computer now (for fun at home, not work), and it is only 1.2 ghz. I do not use the optical drive very often, and I do not even know what firewire is, so I do not use that! I will have to go visit some in person and see how in love I fall. I may wait to go to the Apple store AFTER the new macbooks come out. I think if I see the Air I will buy it right away and not wait for new macbooks.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Awesome. Let us know as soon as you get it. I know you will post pics. ;) I am confused about the faster Air having the smaller 64GB drive. How does that work?
The smaller drive (SSD, or solid state drive, computer version of flash memory sticks) is supposed to be significantly faster (but not always), and more stable than the regular hard drive, the battery use only slightly better.

After reading more about it, it seems that the advantages are not worth the extra $999, but who's to say? I'll keep you posted. Will do my own unscientific and biased speed experiments.:p