iPhone dropped -> volume button broken. Help anyone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Macabel

Oct 10, 2007
So the thing is that I dropped my iPhone, and the lower button of the volume control won't 'click' anymore. This has made the button really sensitive and the volume level easily decreases unintentionally.

I found instructions on how to open the back casing on the phone, and managed to get the antenna cover off (the black thing). Getting the aluminium casing off proved to be more difficult, as I wasn't able to lift it enough to fit a credit card between the cover and the main body. I ordered these opening tools http://ucables.com/iphone-c2488 (I'll need the plastic things) and I thought I might give it another try when they arrive. They should be more convenient for getting the aluminium casing off than a credit card I don't really have any experience fixing phones (or anything else for that matter), but I recon repairing the button should be one of the easiest things to repair on the phone. If anyone else has repaired anything on their phone or even opened it, I would really appreciate comments on if it's worth the risk or if the repair can even be done. I just bought a good plastic case for the phone and maybe I'll just have to live with the broken button and use hope the case will protect it from further damage (I really should not be dropping it in the first place)..

On a side note, when I dropped the phone the ... vibrating thing... (English is not my first langauge) didn't work anymore. I switched it off for a couple of days and now it seems to have sprung to life again. Weird..

Last edited by a moderator:

Macabel

Oct 10, 2007
I don't think the warranty was in effect in the first place as I live in Finland. Would Apple really repair it under warranty as I live and use it here (they do not sell it here yet). They would definitely know that I've unlocked it and as far as I know that voids the warranty.

Anyhow, what's done is done, does anyone have ideas on fixing the button?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I don't think the warranty was in effect in the first place as I live in Finland. Would Apple really repair it under warranty as I live and use it here (they do not sell it here yet). They would definitely know that I've unlocked it and as far as I know that voids the warranty.

Anyhow, what's done is done, does anyone have ideas on fixing the button?

That is a different story now. Maybe just take the button out and leave it out. You can still control the volumn when you have the phone on.

In your situation that is what I would do.

Sep 2, 2007
So the thing is that I dropped my iPhone, and the lower button of the volume control won't 'click' anymore. This has made the button really sensitive and the volume level easily decreases unintentionally.

I found instructions on how to open the back casing on the phone, and managed to get the antenna cover off (the black thing). Getting the aluminium casing off proved to be more difficult, as I wasn't able to lift it enough to fit a credit card between the cover and the main body. I ordered these opening tools http://ucables.com/iphone-c2488 (I'll need the plastic things) and I thought I might give it another try when they arrive. They should be more convenient for getting the aluminium casing off than a credit card I don't really have any experience fixing phones (or anything else for that matter), but I recon repairing the button should be one of the easiest things to repair on the phone. If anyone else has repaired anything on their phone or even opened it, I would really appreciate comments on if it's worth the risk or if the repair can even be done. I just bought a good plastic case for the phone and maybe I'll just have to live with the broken button and use hope the case will protect it from further damage (I really should not be dropping it in the first place)..

On a side note, when I dropped the phone the ... vibrating thing... (English is not my first langauge) didn't work anymore. I switched it off for a couple of days and now it seems to have sprung to life again. Weird..
I have the same problem, its getting very annoying. I listen to music at work and this darn thing is about to get me fired because it keeps pissing me off so bad. If you find a way to resolve this issue. please let me know

Painkiller

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
My g/f had something dropped on her iPhone volume button, breaking it internally and making it useless. It would just flop back and forth and not control the volume.Took it back. It IS NOT covered under the warranty. Had to cough up $200 for a new iPhone. They don't fix it in store. Well, at least they don't here in Cincy at the Apple store.

krjt

Mar 16, 2008
:( Boy oh Boy... All my friends bought hard covers for their iPhones, but I laughed at them for the extra size it's going to add.. Well, I did drop the phone couple days back, but it did have a leather cover, so I thought I am fine. This volume button problem has surfaced from yesterday and it is very very annoying.

I wonder if Apple can fix it, if so how much it may costs assuming they don't cover it under the warranty. I will call Apple support, but if someone had an idea of $ I appreciate that.

Btw, Apple does sell extended warranty for iPhones at $69, but they don't cover accidental damage or acts of God............ :p

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
At&t won't do anything with it. Apple is solely responsible for warranty and repair work. You'll have to contact them and let them send you a loaner while they check yours out. They could have you a loaner there in a couple of days.

krjt

Mar 16, 2008
Guess what.. I have called Apple care and they asked me to sent the phone and day later while I was checking the status of the phone I have noticed that they are replacing the phone and couple hrs back I received it replacement. I was hesitant that they are going to send me a refurbished one and they did. I found this from the 'usage' section for General Settings. Good thing is it was only used for 3 days, but have no idea why it was refurbished.

Any ideas... ? Should I just live with it ?

ColsTiger: Thank you for your reply to this message. They are charging 30 for loaner. So, did not opt for that.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Make check for $250 payable to Apple Computers

I know how it feels. Bottom of the screen stopped working after the 1.4 software update, brought it into the Apple Store, Genius says there is sign of "wear"(had the thing since launch). Apple wouldn't repair the thing so they made me pay $250 if I wanted a new phone. Having no other choice(need to have a phone), I paid it. But I also made a choice of filling a complaint with the state attorney general and suing Apple in small claims court.:cool:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Make check for $250 payable to Apple Computers

I know how it feels. Bottom of the screen stopped working after the 1.4 software update, brought it into the Apple Store, Genius says there is sign of "wear"(had the thing since launch). Apple wouldn't repair the thing so they made me pay $250 if I wanted a new phone. Having no other choice(need to have a phone), I paid it. But I also made a choice of filling a complaint with the state attorney general and suing Apple in small claims court.:cool:
did you win?

iphoneshmeyephone

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
My brother took his phone in today to an Apple store for a similar problem. His volume down button was smashed in from a drop. They replaced his 4gb with an 8 for free. Im pretty sure that if you have any damage problems short of water/cracked screen, you are covered by Apple care. Im definitely going to renew my Applecare policy for another 2 years seeing is that I have had 4 replacement phones since Iday.​

Jul 11, 2008
I found instructions on how to open the back casing on the phone, and managed to get the antenna cover off (the black thing). Getting the aluminium casing off proved to be more difficult, as I wasn't able to lift it enough to fit a credit card between the cover and the main body. I ordered these opening tools http://ucables.com/iphone-c2488 (I'll need the plastic things) and I thought I might give it another try when they arrive. They should be more convenient for getting the aluminium casing off than a credit card. I don't really have any experience fixing phones (or anything else for that matter), but I recon repairing the button should be one of the easiest things to repair on the phone.
Hy there!
Did you manage to get it repaired?
Where can I find instructions on how to open the iPhone (mine is 16GB)?

Thanks in advance,
Bonny

krjt

Mar 16, 2008
Hy there!
Did you manage to get it repaired?
Where can I find instructions on how to open the iPhone (mine is 16GB)?

Thanks in advance,
Bonny
Oh yeah.. Apple replaced it. service was pretty awesome. I have called the Apple Customer service on Wednesday afternoon that my volume control is not working. They sent me a prepaid overnight fedex cover with instructions on return on Thursday afternoon. I sent it Thursday evening. They have received it Friday morning and sent me an email by afternoon that they are going replace the phone. Come SATURDAY morning (by 9:30 AM) I have got the Fedex stopped at home with the replacement. All along you could check the status of the repair and they will sent you an email at every step. Though, I was impressed with the service though I have received the refurbished phone. I guess whenever the manufacturer (I would say most of them) replaces the phone, they will do it with a refurbished one.

Good luck.

Jul 11, 2008
Oh yeah.. Apple replaced it. service was pretty awesome. I have called the Apple Customer service on Wednesday afternoon that my volume control is not working. They sent me a prepaid overnight fedex cover with instructions on return on Thursday afternoon. I sent it Thursday evening. They have received it Friday morning and sent me an email by afternoon that they are going replace the phone. Come SATURDAY morning (by 9:30 AM) I have got the Fedex stopped at home with the replacement. All along you could check the status of the repair and they will sent you an email at every step. Though, I was impressed with the service though I have received the refurbished phone. I guess whenever the manufacturer (I would say most of them) replaces the phone, they will do it with a refurbished one.

Good luck.
Guess I can't request replacement: bought it in USA but unlocked it here in Italy... or do you think I still should be trying to contact Apple for it?