iPhone & Dual SIM?

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
Hi,

Had a look round the forums and can't find a definitive answer on this one.

I am on the verge of buying a legally unlocked iPhone, from Oz or Italy or Hong Kong.

I would like to use my personal (O2) and work (Vodafone) SIM in the same iPhone without the hassle of Jailbreaking, TurboSIM etc.

I was planning to get a dual SIM and manage it that way, with my personal SIM active all the time, the work SIM forward to my personal number and when I need to make a call I can flip between lines without rebooting.

However, someone seemed to indicate that the phone needs to be unlocked AND jailbroken.

Is that the case? Scuppers my plan if so, I was going to pay a little extra to get an unlocked phone. If I need to Jailbreak etc I can just upgrade my personal O2 contract and the the iPhone that way, then JB it and use the dual SIM holder.

My thinking was that an unlocked phone would be able to cope with either of my O2 or Vodafone cards without the need for jailbreaking to achieve this. Or is it the dual SIM holder itself that needs the phone Jailbroken to work?

Also, are there any activiation implications. Do I need to get the original, legal Aussie SIM to activiate the iPhone initially, and then subsequently if the firmware is updated etc? Or could I do that through my O2 sim which would work legally in an iPhone in the UK?

Thanks in advance!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Hi,

I have an unlocked iPhone from Singapore and use it in the UK.

You'll need to jailbreak to use a dual SIM adaptor as the switching is done from the settings menu.

You don't need any particular SIM at all to be able to activate. I used my T-Mobile one.

Activation happens when you get a phone signal. A message pops up saying 'Your iPhone is now activated'.

You can't use a dual SIM adaptor and a Turbo SIM (or similar) at the same time.

There's also some doubt if the dual SIM adaptors will even fit in a 3G.

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
Hi Rip,

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I need to Jailbreak to use the Dual SIM, and it might not work anyway...I guess I am not a lot better off paying extra for a legally unlocked one.

I could just get my O2 one as an upgrade, Jailbreak it, software unlock it and use the Dual SIM card (assuming it fits) to have the O2 and Vodafone cards in the same phone.

Then I presume when a firmware update comes out, I would have to re-Jailbreak once the new code is Jailbroken.

I am of course assuming that Jailbreaking allows me to unlock the phone from its network tie to O2.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Currently there is no unlock for the 3G, only jailbreak.

You'd be stuck on O2.

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
Hmm. I thought you could unlock 3G iPhones once Jailbroken.

For example.

Sorry am new to this am trying to learn and ask questions in parallel.

So, if I wanted to:

Get a UK iPhone 3G from O2, Jailbreak it, unlock it and use a Dual SIM to hold an 02 and Vodafone SIM card, I might not be able to.

Get a foreign, legally unlocked iPhone 3G from O2, Jailbreak it and use a Dual SIM to hold an 02 and Vodafone SIM card, I could do that.

I'd like to understand for sure if I could go with option 1 as that would be cheaper...I was only entertaining getting the foreign unlocked one because I thought I could use the Dual SIM in that without Jailbreaking. If I have to Jailbreak anyway, I figure I might as well save the cash...only if I can unlock the UK Jailbroken phone and use a Dual SIM though.

Hope that makes sense.

I shall keep investigating.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
Actually, I am thinking that maybe 3G unlocking Jailbroken phones needs some kind of 'piggyback' SIM which would render my Dual SIM plan useless.

Bugger.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com

For example.

Sorry am new to this am trying to learn and ask questions in parallel.

So, if I wanted to:

Get a UK iPhone 3G from O2, Jailbreak it, unlock it and use a Dual SIM to hold an 02 and Vodafone SIM card, I might not be able to.

Get a foreign, legally unlocked iPhone 3G from O2, Jailbreak it and use a Dual SIM to hold an 02 and Vodafone SIM card, I could do that.

I'd like to understand for sure if I could go with option 1 as that would be cheaper...I was only entertaining getting the foreign unlocked one because I thought I could use the Dual SIM in that without Jailbreaking. If I have to Jailbreak anyway, I figure I might as well save the cash...only if I can unlock the UK Jailbroken phone and use a Dual SIM though.

Hope that makes sense.

I shall keep investigating.
Those sites that promise software to unlock the 3G iPhone are scams. There is absolutely no software unlock method for the 3G iPhone at this time (there are only hardware-based SIM unlock methods that aren't known to be reliable). The most well-known hacker team working on this has a blog here - you should keep an eye on this (or this forum! :) ) in case one is released.

I have a factory-unlocked iPhone from New Zealand, and though I haven't jailbroken it, it would be a piece of cake to do so. I think you should buy an unlocked iPhone - this will give you the least amount of trouble for what you want to do...

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England

For example.
If that website actually unlocks a 3G there'll be a lot of eating of hats around here.

Read the line just above the Download button.

Give it a try though and report back.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I have a factory-unlocked iPhone from New Zealand, and though I haven't jailbroken it, it would be a piece of cake to do so. I think you should buy an unlocked iPhone - this will give you the least amount of trouble for what you want to do...
At the risk of hijacking...

Macgirl, did you update to 2.2 yet?

There have been reports of the 2.2 update locking the unlocked 3Gs.

I did mine at the weekend and it was fine :)

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
Thanks to Rip & MacGirl.

I think I understand what I need to...

- to use a Dual SIM holder I have to Jailbreak regardless

- a Jailbroken 3G iPhone cannot be software network unlocked (yet?)

- a hardware unlocked iPhone scuppers any plans I have to insert a UK O2 and Vodafone SIM card

==> My only option, if I want to use a Dual SIM, is to get a legally unlocked phone, Jailbreak it, and use the Dual SIM adapter.

Your help is much appreciated.

I will also keep on digging around, there is - obviously - LOADS of stuff to read about all this. Fascinating stuff. I've not given myself a technical challenge like this since I modded my Xbox (I even soldered the chip to the motherboard!).

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
This would be your only option at the moment, assuming the dual sim works - I'd like to know if it does so please update when you've done it.

I got my unlocked 3G from this guy, though I picked it up in Singapore rather than have it sent (just because I was going there and it saved any tax).

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
At the risk of hijacking...

Macgirl, did you update to 2.2 yet?

There have been reports of the 2.2 update locking the unlocked 3Gs.

I did mine at the weekend and it was fine :)
Hijacker! :p

I did update to 2.2. I'm pretty sure it didn't lock my iPhone, but I never checked for sure. Will hunt down a non-AT&T SIM to try it out...

Update: Just popped in the SIM from a Blackberry Storm I have on hand. I didn't expect to get a signal, but my iPhone didn't freak out and it's searching for a network, so it looks like it's still really unlocked. Woo hoo!

KDUK

Dec 9, 2008
I'll update once I have got everything done.

The only slight concern I have is around activation.

What my mate is sourcing in Oz is a locked phone, that is legally unlocked by Optus, or whoever. That is the option they have over there.

As I understand, the Italian / Hong Kong ones are unlocked as they come.

Not sure if that would make a difference around activation.

I am thinking not, as once the unit is legally unlocked by the Oz network carrier, the unit is logged on the Apple D/B with the IMEI stating it is unlocked, so I presume I could activate it with either the O2 or Vodafone SIM.

I guess the only thing I would need to consider is the fact I'd need to restore back to original condition, upgrade firmware, and re-Jailbreak every time there is an update to firmware.