iPhone eating the battery, What is it doing?

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Folks,

My full battery is gone within two hours without even turning on the iPhone.

I charge it fully. Remove it from charger, turn it off. One hour later I turn it on, the iPhone is HOT and the battery is half gone. One hour later, phone still HOT and all battery is gone. When I turn it on, it just says "please connect to power" and turns off. What is it doing? Why is it hot? It used to get hot like this when using it continuously for a long while , like on wifi, etc.. Seems to me it is doing something even though the screen is turned off.

Any clues what could be wrong? No hacks or anything. Virgin iPhone w/ the update from Apple.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Sounds like a bad battery. Search around this forum and you'll see some other threads about it. Contact Apple and get it replaced. What you're experiencing isn't normal.

Joe

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks Joe, Do u know if they'll take care of this at the Apple store if I stop by or do I need to call Apple?

Sounds like a bad battery. Search around this forum and you'll see some other threads about it. Contact Apple and get it replaced. What you're experiencing isn't normal.

Joe

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Before you go returning things and complicating your life, do a restore. If the restore doesn't work then take it back to the store. Sounds like an application or something is stuck on. GL

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
EMail

How often do you have it checking for email? I find that if I have it set to every 15 mins and there is poor or no signal then the phone gets hot.

Or maybe the FBI are listening in as discussed in the Mofia (sp) thread ;)

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Folks,

My full battery is gone within two hours without even turning on the iPhone.

I charge it fully. Remove it from charger, turn it off. One hour later I turn it on, the iPhone is HOT and the battery is half gone. One hour later, phone still HOT and all battery is gone. When I turn it on, it just says "please connect to power" and turns off. What is it doing? Why is it hot? It used to get hot like this when using it continuously for a long while , like on wifi, etc.. Seems to me it is doing something even though the screen is turned off.

Any clues what could be wrong? No hacks or anything. Virgin iPhone w/ the update from Apple.
I would definitely call Apple. The heat you are describing is indicative of a bad battery.

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Folks, after doing a reset it has been back to normal. I believe it was the mail app that was stuck or something on "checking mail...". I've noticed this happens when there is low edge signal. I have now set to "manual" when to check for email. Battery has been normal during the last couple of days.:cool:

Thanks all for the feedback. ;)

Beau

Jul 31, 2007
Good to hear, the fact that it could tax the system that much means it's a bug that Apple might like to hear about...

I'm wondering, why would a restore be necessary? Just killing the app (holding down the home key for like 5 seconds) should fix.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
It's been reported often enough on other forums, that it's pretty clear the phone gets hung checking for new mail. The constant radio retries heat up the phone and suck the battery dry.

At first, people thought it only happened when there was a marginal WiFi connection, causing the phone to cycle between EDGE and WiFi, but that seems not to be the case.

It's been reported to Apple for weeks now, but no public response.

The best solution seems to be to turn off automatic mail checking, especially when you leave the phone charging by itself.

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
You're right. I did not restore the phone. I did a reset, hold power and home until Apple logo showed up. Perhaps reset is not right term. :laugh2:

Good to hear, the fact that it could tax the system that much means it's a bug that Apple might like to hear about...

I'm wondering, why would a restore be necessary? Just killing the app (holding down the home key for like 5 seconds) should fix.