iPhone, Edge good enough for what I will use it for or wait for 3G?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
Hi,

I live close to Milwaukee, WI. My Verizon contract ends in April 2008. I am wondering if Edge is good enough for my needs. basically I will be using email, IM's and internet daily and I do not travel a lot. Sometimes in Chicago, but that's about it. Should I wait for 3G or is Edge good enough? Will 3G cost more per month by the way? Also, when 3G isn't available does it kick it back to the Edge network anyways?

Since my Verizon contract ends in April what happens if I get a dummy temporary number now and order the iPhone, can I port my Verizon number over in April on the same iPhone and then get rid of the dummy #?

My last question is this if I have an iPhone and my wife orders a regular cell phone like the RAZR through AT&T can both phones share minutes or do they HAVE to be IPHones to be on a family plan shared minute account?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
EDGE is terribly slow when you compare it to broadband speeds, but how often do you really need to surf the net when you don't have the opportunity to be on wifi? I have wifi at home and at work, so I'm set. The only time I have to resort to EDGE speeds is when I'm really in a crunch to look up movie start times.

Also, even though AT&T has hinted about a 3g iPhone coming out, I wouldn't look for it until next summer at the earliest. You'll have to make a decision based on your own situation. I really like my iPhone and there's no way I would have waited a whole year to get one even if I had known then that they would offer a 3g model just a year later.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
EDGE is terribly slow when you compare it to broadband speeds, but how often do you really need to surf the net when you don't have the opportunity to be on wifi? I have wifi at home and at work, so I'm set. The only time I have to resort to EDGE speeds is when I'm really in a crunch to look up movie start times.

Also, even though AT&T has hinted about a 3g iPhone coming out, I wouldn't look for it until next summer at the earliest. You'll have to make a decision based on your own situation. I really like my iPhone and there's no way I would have waited a whole year to get one even if I had known then that they would offer a 3g model just a year later.
can I have 2 different phones on a family plan. an iPhone and let's say a RAZR or do they both have to be iPhones?

iPimp

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
My edge is not that bad,if you get site with lots of flash and pidcs it can take a few extra seconds but god forbid you have to WAIT !

:p

And to the one who compared it to broadband.....gee lets compare a toyota hybred and a c6 corvette...

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Sorry if this is a duplicate post(I did it to see if maybe I can expose this question to more people to see if we can find a solution)

Anyone know where the DNS settings are for EDGE internet connections? I want to manually enter them in like I did on my T Mobile Dash and Motorola q (System registry settings of course). Adjusting the DNS settings to

Actually speeds up the connection about 40%! Just want to know where to input them and see if we can improve the iPhone's internet speed over the edge connection

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
can I have 2 different phones on a family plan. an iPhone and let's say a RAZR or do they both have to be iPhones?
You can have different phones on the Family Talk plans. I have an iPhone, SLVR, and ROKR being used on my family's three lines right now. I only have to pay the iPhone data plan charge on my line.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
my issue is this. i have 4 months to go on my verizon plan. should i wait it out and maybe get a 3g iPhone if it's out or buy the egde iPhone now?

i am trying to find someone to take over my 4 phone plan w/ verizon. i have razr phones on a family plan w/ 700 min

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
get the iPhone NOW you fool! Quit thinking about it and DO IT!
here is what cellswapper.com tells me which might make it rough for me to swap my contract and to try and keep my numbers the same? anyone else know how to do this correctly so I can port my number to the iPhone?

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When swapping into or out of a contract, you can usually avoid losing your number by “porting” before the transfer. However, since the porting process is entirely under the jurisdiction of the carrier, to get a definitive answer to your question, we suggest contacting your carrier and asking them if you can keep your number when transferring your contract to another party. "[/FONT]

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I went and ported my number. Verizon does not OWN that number. You do. You can go right now down to AT&T and they will sell you an iPhone with your current number attached. Screw Verizon. You can pay their fee at a later date or whenever you want to. Verizon in no way can stop you. Don't even tell them just go to AT&T and get the phone...

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
I went and ported my number. Verizon does not OWN that number. You do. You can go right now down to AT&T and they will sell you an iPhone with your current number attached. Screw Verizon. You can pay their fee at a later date or whenever you want to. Verizon in no way can stop you. Don't even tell them just go to AT&T and get the phone...
I am trying to get out of paying $175. If I could do that and port my number I would do it now. I have 4 months left though so I am trying to swap out my contract.