iPhone EMERGENCY!

Feb 22, 2008
I have just jailbroken and unlocked my new 16Gb iPhone, however, it's not recognized by iTunes or my Mac at all, when connected via the provided USB cable. In fact, the only program that recognizes it is iPhoto, which asks if I want to import the pictures on my iPhone.

One source recommended I totally re-boot my iPhone and restore iTunes, however I'm worried that he was referring to legitimate users and it will return the iPhone to its original (un-jailbroken, locked) state.

The iPod on my iPhone is just sitting redundant with no songs on it! :(

A lil help here people......!

Aug 28, 2007
the fix is to reintsttall iTunes or restore and re jailbreak

Feb 22, 2008
the fix is to reintsttall iTunes or restore and re jailbreak
Do I need to be running the latest version of iTunes (which for some reason when downloading says: "Cannot create file") and have the latest operating system, at least 10.4.10.

If so, where can I get the latest OS (I'm using Tiger) and iTunes (the obvious answer is from Apple, however, I'm unable to download iTunes due to the error msg as mentioned above).

If I reinstall iTunes, will it erase all my songs?!?!?! And what's the procedure for reinstalling iTunes. Forgive my ignorance :)

Thaks for all help in advance

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
reinstalling iTunes will not delete any of your songs. It will just update it to the new features. That's all. I think you might be better off updating iTunes THEN restoring and re-jailbraking. Hope that helps.

igh0st

Feb 20, 2008
Texas
I just tried to jailbreak my iPhone. On my first attempt, I held the power and home buttons until the connect to iTunes logo showed up then jailbreak crashed. iTunes then told me that my phone was in recovery mode(?) and could not be used until it was restored. I'm guessing that this isn't how it is supposed to work?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I have just jailbroken and unlocked my new 16Gb iPhone, however, it's not recognized by iTunes or my Mac at all, when connected via the provided USB cable. In fact, the only program that recognizes it is iPhoto, which asks if I want to import the pictures on my iPhone.

One source recommended I totally re-boot my iPhone and restore iTunes, however I'm worried that he was referring to legitimate users and it will return the iPhone to its original (un-jailbroken, locked) state.

The iPod on my iPhone is just sitting redundant with no songs on it! :(

A lil help here people......!

I love these emergencies, what iTunes number do you have?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I've heard of 7.4.2 freaking out like that.. is that what version you had?

uninstall iTunes, and then do an install for 7.6.1

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
no, it won't.

because it will be an iTunes update, not an iPhone update.

KNK, where have you been?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you like jailbreaking, I recommend you do not use 7.6.1. I helped out a guy a few days that was having issues due to using 7.6.1. I made the mistake myself and had to downgrade iTunes. The link I used to download 7.6 has turned into a link for 7.6.1, though.

- John

Feb 22, 2008
Problem Solved

I solved the problem...

I went on to the iTunes store and noticed the system requirements:

iTunes 7.6.1 or later

and

Mac OSX 10.4.10 or later

I updated both and my iPhone was thus recognized. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS.

Special thanks to 'iPhoneluverr', 'jptolife', 'KNK' and 'themanofthedark'