iPhone EQ question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Are the EQ settings disabled for the phone application?

I have the Body-Glove iphone-compatible headset. The bass is extremely muddy, but can be somewhat corrected with treble boost, but using the headset with the phone is nearly impossible. People's voices are just too "bassy" and muddy.

I'm wondering if the phone app does not even use the EQ.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Are the EQ settings disabled for the phone application?

I have the Body-Glove iphone-compatible headset. The bass is extremely muddy, but can be somewhat corrected with treble boost, but using the headset with the phone is nearly impossible. People's voices are just too "bassy" and muddy.

I'm wondering if the phone app does not even use the EQ.
If I understand your question correctly, go into "settings" on the homescreen (on the iPhone). Then go into "iPod" . The first thing to check is make sure "Sound Check" is OFF! That is the worst feature on this thing. It ruins the sound of the device. You will also find the EQ settings on this screen.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to, but it seems to have an affect on the phone sound, as well.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
The EQ works fine for the IPOD, yes.

But seems to be of no effect on the phone.

Since the settings are in the IPOD setup area, and not in the "General Settings", I thought maybe that the EQ is strictly for the IPOD music, and NOT for the phone audio.

So, you are getting the EQ to effect the phone audio. Interesting... I have not been able to get my headset to lose the muddy bass when I use it for phone conversations.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I don't think the EQ has any affect during phone conversations.

I bought those headphones and returned them the next day. The sound was very muddy. WAY worse than the stockers, although they didn't fall out of my ears all the time.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
EQ on iPhone!

Sorry, EQ brings back memories of Everquest back in the day, I still get the twitch every time I see those two capitalized letters...;)

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!

I had been thinking the Ipod part of the phone was kind of sucky lately, so after reading this post I checked all my settings.
That stupid sound check was on and now it's like having a brand new Ipod!

Thanks

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!

I had been thinking the Ipod part of the phone was kind of sucky lately, so after reading this post I checked all my settings.
That stupid sound check was on and now it's like having a brand new Ipod!

Thanks
No problem. Someone told me about Sound Check, too. Thing is, nobody seems to know exactly why Apple enables it by default nor why they don't make a big deal in the manuals about turning it off (assuming it's enabled for liability issues - to protect idiots from themselves).

Shawn, I don't think individual settings have any affect on phone conversations, but I noticed a difference after turning off Sound Check. Voices seemed much more clearly defined. Maybe I just imagined it.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Interesting, this made an obvious change in the sound of the iPod part of my phone. Almost scared me when I switched "Sound Check" off while playing Heart, connected to my speakers. It was soft and then...................

:eek: