iPhone facts from the first reviews

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/iphone-facts-from-the-first-reviews/

Well, the first reviews are in. But you may have missed some of the more interesting factoids unearthed by the trio of gadget reporters deigned worthy by El Jobso to get a pre-launch iPhone. Here's a few fresh n' interesting iPhone facts right off the presses:
  • The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!
  • There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.
  • No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there.
  • Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.
  • On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.
  • It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.
  • Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).
  • Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.
  • It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?
More after the break!
  • Oh, and no MMS. And sorry, no voice dialing, either.
  • Contact groups can't be emailed as contact lists.
  • Apple sez between 300-400 charges the iPhone will lose battery capacity -- you'll send it in and get the cell replaced for a fee. Meh. We knew this would be the case, but still, meh.
  • Apple can (and supposedly will) be rolling out periodic updates -- no surprise there.
  • Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies.
  • As we suspected, users are prompted with lists of WiFi networks if you're not nearby a trusted hotspot. We've seen this on other phones, and we're afraid this would get friggin annoying.
  • It's said to be very scratch resistant. The facade both front and rear apparently just doesn't pick up marring like regular iPods do.
  • Voice quality is said to be good -- not great.
Anything else we missed from in there?

fitz62

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
A thing or two

Well, the first reviews are in. But you may have missed some of the more interesting factoids unearthed by the trio of gadget reporters deigned worthy by El Jobso to get a pre-launch iPhone. Here's a few fresh n' interesting iPhone facts right off the presses:
  • The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!
  • Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.
  • It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.
  • Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).
  • Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.
  • It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?
More after the break!
  • Apple sez between 300-400 charges the iPhone will lose battery capacity -- you'll send it in and get the cell replaced for a fee. Meh. We knew this would be the case, but still, meh.
  • Apple can (and supposedly will) be rolling out periodic updates -- no surprise there.
  • Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies.
  • As we suspected, users are prompted with lists of WiFi networks if you're not nearby a trusted hotspot. We've seen this on other phones, and we're afraid this would get friggin annoying.
  • It's said to be very scratch resistant. The facade both front and rear apparently just doesn't pick up marring like regular iPods do.
with everything that i am seeing, including all the flaws that you listed above, the only problem that i can see that couldn't be resolved by a software upgrade is the EGDe/3G issue. all the rest i am sure can be upgraded via some form of software upgrade. remember the razr? it always had video capability but when cingular started selling the black ones, they sold them without the video capability. then they started selling special edition ones with that capability. i had to mod mine to open up the video recording. so with tat being said, i am sure that if Apple listens, then all the so called flaws can be fixed.

megaphore

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I hope to see Apple give us some updates and new features so quiet some of the cynics. Apart from just the obvious amazing new and easy to use features the design is better than any one the market hands down. That why the ipod succeeded and trumped all the competition. The design is everything. Apple has to be given great props for designing a fantastic phone that not only looks the best; it also has the best user experience. I'm so excited to finally get one.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
with everything that i am seeing, including all the flaws that you listed above, the only problem that i can see that couldn't be resolved by a software upgrade is the EGDe/3G issue. all the rest i am sure can be upgraded via some form of software upgrade. remember the razr? it always had video capability but when cingular started selling the black ones, they sold them without the video capability. then they started selling special edition ones with that capability. i had to mod mine to open up the video recording. so with tat being said, i am sure that if Apple listens, then all the so called flaws can be fixed.
Here is what we know an Apple software upgrade won't cure:
  • The initial iPhone model cannot be upgraded to use the faster networks.
  • AT&T's network. In a Consumer Reports study, AT&T’s signal ranked either last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major cities. My tests in five states bear this out. If Verizon’s slogan is, “Can you hear me now?” AT&T’s should be, “I’m losing you.”
  • AT&T’s ancient EDGE cellular network is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times’s home page takes 55 seconds to appear; Amazon.com, 100 seconds; Yahoo. two minutes. You almost ache for a dial-up modem.
I am hoping that a software update will fix this issue:
  • Making a call can take as many as six steps: wake the phone, unlock its buttons, summon the Home screen, open the Phone program, view the Recent Calls or speed-dial list, and select a name.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

More after the break!

The more and more of these fact sheets I read, and reviews, the more i'm having 2nd guesses.....

FeistyGirl

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Glen Burnie, MD
Well here are the last few things I am disappointed in regarding the phone.. hopefully they will be resolved via updates:

• Custom Ringtones - cmon.. this is a given nowadays.. even if it is just wav or personal MP3... it needs to be customizable
  • Video Recording - Seems odd they would tightly integrate w Youtube and not have the ability to record and upload directly from the phone...
  • Voice Dialing - no real keypad means this should certainly be an option!
  • MMS - I never use it, but I do see the benefit.. seems odd to take this 'standard' function out.
Those 4 changes would pretty much make the iPhone a much funner and useful device IMO

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
Well here are the last few things I am disappointed in regarding the phone.. hopefully they will be resolved via updates:
  • Custom Ringtones - cmon.. this is a given nowadays.. even if it is just wav or personal MP3... it needs to be customizable
  • Video Recording - Seems odd they would tightly integrate w Youtube and not have the ability to record and upload directly from the phone...
  • Voice Dialing - no real keypad means this should certainly be an option!
  • MMS - I never use it, but I do see the benefit.. seems odd to take this 'standard' function out.
Those 4 changes would pretty much make the iPhone a much funner and useful device IMO
ditto man, and don't forget A2DP I mean let's lose the cords already, I know current iPod owners would love too.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I am hoping that a software update will fix this issue:
Making a call can take as many as six steps
Yeh, would be nice to be able to put frequently used contacts (say home/voicemail) on the home screen for 1-touch access... there's plenty of space left on the home screen for this.