iPhone family plan

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
If I were to convert my iPhone plan into a family plan and add three people who just want regular phones onto my plan.. would I be able to get one of the 'free' phones for each of them? Not sure how it works because I've always been on plans on my own and I know you get a free phone for every 2 year service agreement. Would help if someone could tell me how this works with a family plan though..

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
yes but that phone would need a contract on it too which would mean the data plan monthly payment

Last edited by a moderator:

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I already know that the family plan would have a data plan monthly payment.... because I have an iPhone.

I'm asking if I can get a 'free' phone for each line I open up on my talk plan, or would they have to pay a fee.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
no i mean the free iPhone would have its own data plan, unless i missed something

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Did you actually read my post?

I said I wanted to get three REGULAR -free- phones. I don't think the iPhone is FREE. You know.. the crappy little brick phones they give you if you want a free one? -_-

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Did you actually read my post?

I said I wanted to get three REGULAR -free- phones. I don't think the iPhone is FREE. You know.. the crappy little brick phones they give you if you want a free one? -_-
OH ok i see what your saying now, sorry i didn't really understand.

but yes if you add three new lines, then you can get three free phones, or what ever discounted price the phone is. The discount is good for any new line so you should be fine

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Ah, okay thanks. I figured they don't do free phones for extra lines since it isn't a new 'contract' but I guess they do.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Ah, okay thanks. I figured they don't do free phones for extra lines since it isn't a new 'contract' but I guess they do.
they do, because technically that line you added is on its own little contract. It has the same waiting times for upgrades and everything. i know this because im on a family plan with 6 or 7 additional lines, my first phone was free with rebates and all that so im positive you can get a free phone for every new line you have

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
After rebates?

With Sprint I've seen a family of five walk in and be issued five free phones.. hmm. Guess it's another bad side of AT&T.. gotta drop money for everything.

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
I've never had another line on my account, just curious if I add one will that phone be able to share my iPhone data plan if it's not an iPhone? and I would share minutes as well with that phone too?

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Won't be able to share data.. the data plans for the regular phones are a bit different. I think they're only $15 for unlimited data but you can't surf the web as good. You'll share minutes via the talk plan. Text messaging is also separate too, you don't share those. If you had a family plan and everyone wanted 200 texts it's $5 per line.